• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who do you want to start on Sunday at QB?

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

It would be a good chance to see what Grier looks like in Brady's system. PJ has an exciting arm, it just doesn't look like he is an NFL caliber QB. Either way, if Teddy needs to sit we are probably better off in the long run, sad as that is.

No argument.

42 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I get it, I just think it's an arrogant way to approach football. IMO, you can't assume the scores - either yours or theirs. You can't be so confident in your ability to score that you slow play your offense and you can't be so unconfident in your D that you eliminate a chunk of your offensive playbook to avoid scoring too quickly. I understand that it's a well accepted strategy, I just philosophically disagree with the approach.

That's a reasonable take, although I'm not sure how much of that approach is necessarily a measure of confidence (or lack thereof) versus just an analytical/statistics game of what objectively gives you the best chance to win.  Some teams seemingly throw that out the window and just go balls-to-the-wall to put up as many points as possible which is exciting but I don't think we quite have the personnel for that yet until we upgrade at o-line and ideally QB.

57 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, we need to be careful blaming this ALL on Teddy. Some of it is scheme and some of it is the same issue we have had forever, a dumpster fire of an OL.

I think people here often use the term "checkdown" incorrectly when they say Teddy relies too much on the checkdown or whatever.  A checkdown is like a last resort outlet after a QB goes through his progressions (often to the RB or TE).  In Teddy's case, many times those quick short passes are his primary read.  That's what leads me towards thinking a lot of people's gripes about Teddy are more related to scheme and playcalling (which surely is in part a product of the o-line), unless people want to argue Teddy is going rogue and deviating from the playcall.

9 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I think people here often use the term "checkdown" incorrectly when they say Teddy relies too much on the checkdown or whatever.  A checkdown is like a last resort outlet after a QB goes through his progressions (often to the RB or TE).  In Teddy's case, many times those quick short passes are his primary read.  That's what leads me towards thinking a lot of people's gripes about Teddy are more related to scheme and playcalling (which surely is in part a product of the o-line), unless people want to argue Teddy is going rogue and deviating from the playcall.

I agree and sometimes he doesn't have the time to go through his progressions or that is just the first open man available. 

Teddy is a better version of what I thought he was when we signed him. I don't have big complaints about him. Far less than I thought I would.

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I agree and sometimes he doesn't have the time to go through his progressions or that is just the first open man available. 

Teddy is a better version of what I thought he was when we signed him. I don't have big complaints about him. Far less than I thought I would.

Same, I'm overall pleasantly surprised by how he's played this year.  My main criticism of him is that missing clutch factor in putting together a game-winning drive, despite many opportunities to do so.  Obviously not all of that is on him, but you want your QB to be able to mount a comeback when the time comes and I haven't seen it yet this season. 

I'm in the camp of people who think he's probably not even a top 3 liability on this team but I would still absolutely love to upgrade at QB in the next season or two if given the opportunity.  I think calling him a "bridge QB" is pretty appropriate and I think he's a terrific one to hold us off until that true franchise QB comes along.

Bring Jake down from the booth and have him fling it all day. You want gunslinging? You want risk taking? You want to see a guy in traction by the third quarter?

Okay, maybe on second thought..

Let PJ have a swing at it. We can answer a lot of questions pretty quickly. If he's playing terrible at the end of the first half, send in Grier. And then pray Teddy feels good by the next game.

26 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Same, I'm overall pleasantly surprised by how he's played this year.  My main criticism of him is that missing clutch factor in putting together a game-winning drive, despite many opportunities to do so.  Obviously not all of that is on him, but you want your QB to be able to mount a comeback when the time comes and I haven't seen it yet this season. 

I'm in the camp of people who think he's probably not even a top 3 liability on this team but I would still absolutely love to upgrade at QB in the next season or two if given the opportunity.  I think calling him a "bridge QB" is pretty appropriate and I think he's a terrific one to hold us off until that true franchise QB comes along.

Absolutely agree with 100% of that. 

I don't understand the level of vitriol directed towards him. He is performing largely as expected and while he has been a little disappointing in terms of being able to complete drives and with some scattered ball protection issues, I have been pleasantly surprised. All the guys expecting him to be the franchise QB were obviously seeing something the rest of the league just hasn't, which some of us pointed out prior to the season. Fans can wish, hope, curse, yell all they want but it isn't going to change who Teddy is. 

If we draft a QB this year, great. If we roll with Teddy until a better QB option comes next year, I am okay with that too. 

7 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

...he's probably not even a top 3 liability on this team but I would still absolutely love to upgrade at QB in the next season or two if given the opportunity.  I think calling him a "bridge QB" is pretty appropriate and I think he's a terrific one to hold us off until that true franchise QB comes along.

This.

4 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Bring Jake down from the booth and have him fling it all day. You want gunslinging? You want risk taking? You want to see a guy in traction by the third quarter?

Okay, maybe on second thought..

Let PJ have a swing at it. We can answer a lot of questions pretty quickly. If he's playing terrible at the end of the first half, send in Grier. And then pray Teddy feels good by the next game.

It's funny how people always have fond memories of the gunslinging QB's and forget the boneheaded, WTF, crippling throws that they are prone to. All that crazy gambling has a downside too. You will get quite a few bad beats.

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Absolutely agree with 100% of that. 

I don't understand the level of vitriol directed towards him. He is performing largely as expected and while he has been a little disappointing in terms of being able to complete drives and with some scattered ball protection issues, I have been pleasantly surprised. All the guys expecting him to be the franchise QB were obviously seeing something the rest of the league just hasn't, which some of us pointed out prior to the season. Fans can wish, hope, curse, yell all the want but it isn't going to change who Teddy is. 

If we draft a QB this year, great. If we roll with Teddy until a better QB option comes next year, I am okay with that too. 

I mean, let’s be honest...we understand what motivates certain posters to spew hatred towards the guy. And it doesn’t have anything to do with Teddy lol.

5 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

Nothing against PJ because I think he’s a better qb but I’d like to see Grier strictly because we spent a 3rd on him. I don’t really care either way but if I had to pick I’d pick him.

That is the way I feel about it too.  

Archived