• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New study shows vegans 43% more likely to suffer broken bones than meat eaters

Ricky Spanish

Anybody on here know the difference between a nutritionist and a registered dietician?

Most of the research that shows benefits for adults switching to vegan or plant based diets is not claiming that meat is bad. The American diet is typically high in processed and packaged meats which, you guess it, is high in sodium and other substances that increase chance of comorbidities such as heart disease. Cut out the processed crap, try more poultry and fish over beef and pork and you’re good.

Even arguing that getting all your essential amino acids out of a meatless-diet is lacking as you’d have to increase your volume of intake substantially to make up for what a few ounces of chicken can provide. 

If we lived in say, India, it'd be easier to be a vegan. America wasn't built for veganism so it's really tough when you're away from home to stick with it.

I've tried vegan, got sick of tofu and beans. Seafood only as protein, easier, you still need a in home support system for that too. After my son was born, type O, I threw that all out of the window, more poultry and fish now.

I will say though, after eating beef again for the first time in 15yrs, I had a boner while enjoying a Whopper with cheese, was my body telling me something?

"Eat Right For Your Type" is a great book on blood types and diets, probably a better individual guide. It says I should be vegetarian, but poultry is neutral for me.

54 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

Anybody on here know the difference between a nutritionist and a registered dietician?

Most of the research that shows benefits for adults switching to vegan or plant based diets is not claiming that meat is bad. The American diet is typically high in processed and packaged meats which, you guess it, is high in sodium and other substances that increase chance of comorbidities such as heart disease. Cut out the processed crap, try more poultry and fish over beef and pork and you’re good.

Even arguing that getting all your essential amino acids out of a meatless-diet is lacking as you’d have to increase your volume of intake substantially to make up for what a few ounces of chicken can provide. 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dietitian-vs-nutritionist#bottom-line

Pretty much sums it up.

25 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

If we lived in say, India, it'd be easier to be a vegan. America wasn't built for veganism so it's really tough when you're away from home to stick with it.

I've tried vegan, got sick of tofu and beans. Seafood only as protein, easier, you still need a in home support system for that too. After my son was born, type O, I threw that all out of the window, more poultry and fish now.

I will say though, after eating beef again for the first time in 15yrs, I had a boner while enjoying a Whopper with cheese, was my body telling me something?

"Eat Right For Your Type" is a great book on blood types and diets, probably a better individual guide. It says I should be vegetarian, but poultry is neutral for me.

Just gonna throw it out there, but the clinical trial support for blood type dieting is non-existent. The research that has been done suggests there's nothing there. Improvements were seen across the spectrum, not limited to blood type. Those improvements were almost certainly due to all of the blood type diets cutting out processed foods and simple carbs. Honestly, cutting out processed foods and simple carbs should be the first step for everyone trying to eat healthier. That alone is going to do a lot of good for you.

Just now, WarHeel said:

True. Most claiming the title of “nutritionist” have little to no formal education or certification.

Coming from the world of pet nutrition, I honestly have zero interest in formal credentials. I've seen a lot of board certified veterinary nutritionists pitch complete bullshit for a paycheck.

Archived