• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeff Davidson's play calling

Demerize

I get that. But now look at what he's doing with a year off to get Fox out of his head. My wife's brother is a Miami fan and he's over all the time watching my Sunday Ticket, so I am seeing what Henning is doing down there. Granted, he has a few more options, and Im not just talkin about the wildcat...

Because Henning and Miami are doing SO much better than Carolina. I mean look at their 5th rated rushing offense.. oh wait whats that ours is fourth. Oh well look at their amazing pass offense rated 29th in the league.. oh wait whats that our pitifull passing offense is rated 24th. damn well they are winning more games than us... oh whats that they are 3-5 too?

hmmmmmm

of course the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence even if you just jumped over from the other side.

You guys are hilarious. If Jake throws 2 picks (bad plays) guys crucify him and say he sucks.

Williams drops an easy touchdown and gives the game away with a fumble on the 2 and he is unfortunate to be involved in a few bad plays.

Hilarious the extreme double standard. Especially given how easy it is to play running back and how hard it is to play quarterback in this league.

Keep it up though, I had little to laugh about during the game but you guys revisionistic history is amazing.

Obviously, the point is missed here. That point is how FOX didn't show any confidence in Jake against the Saints. To take some of his comments father, he is right that if (or should that be when) Jake throws 2 picks, it will be said that he sucks. Why? Because we don't have the ability to overcome multiple turnovers, and we don't have the ability to overcome a significant deficit score-wise. So any amount of picks or turnovers will almost certainly put us in a hole that we can't dig out of! That wasn't always the case with Jake, he has IN THE PAST shown himself to be a very good 4th quarter QB. But he isn't one THIS YEAR. No one argues how hard it is to play QB at any level, especially in the NFL. But Jake WAS successful to some degree in being one. He's not that successsful now. How this becomes 'revisionistic history' is beyond anyone who can think thru such things!

What I couldn't stand about the play calling in the New Orleans game was the 3rd and 8 call that was a deep post (???) to Smitty, when Smity lost the ball and pulled up. If he had kept running at full speed he would have been right under it.

My 3 main problems with calling that play are:

1) Its a low percentage play for Jake and Smitty this year. The chances of converting that are very very low. THe magic is gone.

2) We were not yet in field position and we needed only 3 points to keep pace. We were about 15 yards from Kasey's range. A nice conservative play underneath the coverage, even a draw run, would have picked up 5-6 yards and who knows? Maybe even the first down.

3) We decided to go for it on 4th and 8 anyway and that's never a good situation for Delhomme. The 3rd and 8 call was uncharacteristically agressive, when it was a good point to be conservative. Instead, we turned it over on downs. Pathetic.

If we had simply run the ball on that 3rd and 8 we might have gotten into a managable 4th down situation, or simply converted the 1st down right then. Going for the deep pass was just monumentally stupid at that juncture. What in God's name has Davidson seen this year that made him think that a deep pass play over the Saint's D was going to work? Same for the deep pass to Jarrett, who simply let it fall through his hands. F ace it! Our WR are not able to make that play work!!!

It never has, this year, and it never will. Take it out of the play book.

You guys are hilarious. If Jake throws 2 picks (bad plays) guys crucify him and say he sucks.

Williams drops an easy touchdown and gives the game away with a fumble on the 2 and he is unfortunate to be involved in a few bad plays.

Hilarious the extreme double standard. Especially given how easy it is to play running back and how hard it is to play quarterback in this league.

Keep it up though, I had little to laugh about during the game but you guys revisionistic history is amazing.

Jakes our QB like it or not so I guess when people bash him it doesn't help or change things but it's understandable for people to be negitive. The coaching staff is afraid for him to pass and we are losing winable games because of his play. Yes Williams did hurt us at times during this game but without his outstanding play at other times we would have been blown out.

In the last two games I believe Jeff finally hit his stride (what took so long!). Yea, we lost to the Saints, but I actually enjoyed watching the game. If Jeff had started the season with this NEW highly conservative play calling scheme we might be 5 and 3. If we ever get a QB who can pass then Jeff can open things up a bit. I really did enjoy the game and now feel (if he keeps this up) we can win some games. Remove the "Jake Factor" or at least reduce it and we are actually competitive! Hip hip...:)
Last two games, huh? Against Arizona we scored 28 points in the first half, 6 in the second. Against New Orleans we scored 17 in the first half, 3 in the second.

Clearly this is all the players' fault. Davidson is a master of the halftime adjustment, but Jake and company just can't seem to execute once they get their mid-game rest.

personally, after the last 2 games, i think that jake is acually starting to play a little better. i think we should open it back up and see what happens.

it has been painful to watch them hide and protect Jake the past two weeks. We know what happens when Jake is allowed to play.....he shoots the team in the foot.

it has been painful to watch them hide and protect Jake the past two weeks. We know what happens when Jake is allowed to play.....he shoots the team in the foot.

No what we saw in 4 out of 8 games is that Jake played poorly. In 2 of them he came out of the gate playing poorly. In the other two he played poorly in the second half. In the other 4 games he played decent to well pretty much throughout. What we know is historically Jake plays his best in the fourth quarter and when he finds a passing rhythm. What we know is that for whatever reason he hasn't throw a pick in the last 44 passes.

What you speculate is that if we throw more he will turn into a turnover machine like before. What I speculate is that the way Jakes comes out sets the tone for the whole game. If he is on target early he usually has a good game and we should open it up. If he comes out throwing poorly then we need to dial it back and be more conservative giving him high percentage passes to help him out until he gains his confidence and then see how he does down the field. In all cases monitor his progress and make adjustments as needed to help him succeed instead of make a gameplan and sicking to it no matter what is happening on the field.

No what we saw in 4 out of 8 games is that Jake played poorly. In 2 of them he came out of the gate playing poorly. In the other two he played poorly in the second half. In the other 4 games he played decent to well pretty much throughout. What we know is historically Jake plays his best in the fourth quarter and when he finds a passing rhythm. What we know is that for whatever reason he hasn't throw a pick in the last 44 passes.

What you speculate is that if we throw more he will turn into a turnover machine like before. What I speculate is that the way Jakes comes out sets the tone for the whole game. If he is on target early he usually has a good game and we should open it up. If he comes out throwing poorly then we need to dial it back and be more conservative giving him high percentage passes to help him out until he gains his confidence and then see how he does down the field. In all cases monitor his progress and make adjustments as needed to help him succeed instead of make a gameplan and sicking to it no matter what is happening on the field.

like I said, it was painful to watch them hide Jake the past two weeks.

have you flip flopped back and that Jake should be the QB now?

You could always look to the 2006 Browns, who eked out three wins while he was the OC there. His teams averaged a whopping 15 points per game, a massive improvement from the 14.6 his predecessor got. You know, the guy who was fired for being ineffective?

It's a good thing that Davidson didn't take over in the middle of the season and had a lot of offensive talent like superstar quarterback Charlie Frye, rookie 6th round pick Derek Anderson and a guy who did a lot outside of denver's system at running back in Reuben Droughns to work with. Oh wait...

I fully anticipate your response to say "Oh yeah, but what about 2007". Look at the talent upgrade that they had on offense (Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Jamal Lewis who quietly ran for 1300 yards that year, plus Braylon Edwards' 2nd year).

In the last two games I believe Jeff finally hit his stride (what took so long!). Yea, we lost to the Saints, but I actually enjoyed watching the game. If Jeff had started the season with this NEW highly conservative play calling scheme we might be 5 and 3. If we ever get a QB who can pass then Jeff can open things up a bit. I really did enjoy the game and now feel (if he keeps this up) we can win some games. Remove the "Jake Factor" or at least reduce it and we are actually competitive! Hip hip...:)

What is his stride? To be completely unbalanced?

Davidson can't call plays out of a paper back. But he damn will run through the bottom of the bag.

Archived