• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Taylor Moton not likely to return next year, Curtis Samuel might also leave

TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What results are we leaning on there? Outside of Robby Anderson the rest of our FA moves don't look great.

That's my concern with Rhule and company if he has a lot of roster input. There's very little NFL experience on that staff. There's a reason good young OTs rarely hit the market. Those guys are hard to find. Young OTs with talent that other teams have given up on get big money in FA because of how hard they are to find.

Not true at all. Kerr was a great signing and Burris looks solid. Bridgewater was a good signing except to folks like you who were down on him from the get go. Add in other low cost signings like Miller and Douglas among others and we did pretty decent especially when Covid stopped us  from being able to evaluate folks and bring them in.

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Not true at all. Kerr was a great signing and Burris looks solid. Bridgewater was a good signing except to folks like you who were down on him from the get go. Add in other low cost signings like Miller and Douglas among others and we did pretty decent especially when Covid stopped us  from being able to evaluate folks and bring them in.

Agreed on Kerr. Forgot about him. Burris looks like a JAG though. He just looks solid because Panthers fans are accustomed to JAGs at safety. Miller has been pretty bad, he's just not as bad as Reed. Douglas, yeah again just the best of our bad options.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agreed on Kerr. Forgot about him. Burris looks like a JAG though. He just looks solid because Panthers fans are accustomed to JAGs at safety. Miller has been pretty bad, he's just not as bad as Reed. Douglas, yeah again just the best of our bad options.

The acquisition of Douglas was credited to Pat Stewart, if I recall correctly.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The acquisition of Douglas was credited to Pat Stewart, if I recall correctly.

He's played about as well as you can expect for a mid-season trash heap acquisition, but I'm not sure he has a long-termt role other than as a depth piece. He's kinda going the Teddy route. Looked better than expected early on but the longer he plays the worse he looks.

I went back to NFL.com to see if I could get a summary of our offseason moves. This is pulled from their free agent tracker:

QB Teddy Bridgewater
QB PJ Walker
WR Robby Anderson
WR/RS Pharoh Cooper
WR Seth Roberts
TE Seth DeValve
OL John Miller
OL Chris Reed
OT Russell Okung (trade)
DE Stephen Weatherly
LB Tahir Whitehead
S Tre Boston (for the record, 3 years, 18 million)
CB Eli Apple (yeah, I forgot about him too)

Anybody missing?

20 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

Every "decision" Hurney makes is awful. GET RID OF THE DUMBA** Im tired of this. We always have crap Oline's and he lets Norwell, Turner and Moton walk, signs Paradis and drafts Greg Little. The man is a freaking joke.

He wasn't here for Norwell, traded Trai for Okung. Trai's been injured in LA, and Okung has been good when he's played. Worst case that's a wash. 

This off season will be interesting, as it seems he's will probably lead it. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I disagree about Burris and Miller. Both are not even in the top ten issues with this team. Hope Miller comes back along with Moton. 

Person's roster analysis gave a percentage of likelihood to return for each of next year's free agents.

Simplifying the results, it broke down kind of like this:

PROBABLY BACK

TE Chris Manhertz
LS JJ Jansen
DE Efe Obada
T Trent Scott
K Joey Slye

MAYBE BACK

RB Mike Davis
G John Miller
G Chris Reed
CB Rasul Douglas
WR Keith Kirkwood
WR Brandon Zylstra

PROBABLY NOT

T Taylor Moton
WR Curtis Samuel
FB Alex Armah
CB Corn Elder

MOST LIKELY GONE

T Russell Okung
WR Pharoh Cooper
G Michael Schofield
C Tyler Larsen
LB Tahir Whitehead
LB Adarius Taylor
LB Julian Stanford
DT Kawann Short
DE Stephen Weatherly

40 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

He wasn't here for Norwell, traded Trai for Okung. Trai's been injured in LA, and Okung has been good when he's played. Worst case that's a wash. 

This off season will be interesting, as it seems he's will probably lead it. 

Incorrect on Norwell. Norwell’s last year was when Hurney took over during the summer (Gettleman did the FA/draft periods). Hurney absolutely was the GM during the year when we could have resigned Norwell before the season started. Just like Moton this year,  Norwell then had a great season (1st team All Pro) and got too expensive to resign.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's only because the list of problems is so long. They aren't on the list of solutions either.

When both where out the team struggled more than when Davis replaced CMC. Week 5 the OL was doing great and Miller missed a couple and been playing injured since. Same thing happen with Burris in a way, both had negative out-comes when out of the game. Baseball term WAR, both matter and are better than replacements. I hope each are on the 2021 roster and more. 

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

When both where out the team struggled more than when Davis replaced CMC. Week 5 the OL was doing great and Miller missed a couple and been playing injured since. Same thing happen with Burris in a way, both had negative out-comes when out of the game. Baseball term WAR, both matter and are better than replacements. I hope each are on the 2021 roster and more. 

Football term is JAG. Being better than your replacement doesn't mean you're good, it just means your backup is significantly worse. We have some of the worst talent in the league at OL and secondary.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Football term is JAG. Being better than your replacement doesn't mean you're good, it just means your backup is significantly worse. We have some of the worst talent in the league at OL and secondary.

I agree, just disagree that Miller or Burris are Jags/bad. How many times do you watch the games? BTW if they had a league wide draft with all players in the pool, Justin Hebert would go #2 at this time.  

Archived