• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What defines an elite QB?

AU-panther

Needless to say I'm pretty sure we will be talking about QBs for the rest of the season and up to draft day.  QBs might be the hardest position to actually quantify, you can't even get people to agree what makes a good one. 

Recently I read an article by one of the PFF guys (I think, can't find it) and was talking about the qualities that define the really good QBs, and this will play into the evaluation side also when looking at college guys.

Going off memory here, which is always scary, but he basically said that 8-12 times a game a QB is asked to make a big time play, usually a throw, doesn't have to be a 50yrd bomb, might be a far hash out on 3rd and 15 or a rope to a TE on a seam route.  Evaluators and fans tend to fall in love with the players that can make all these throws.  Some guys have the natural ability to make all of these throws, think of it as arm talent.  Simply put, some guys are better than others at the spectacular.  Here again, just not talking arm strength, watch Brady, he will push the ball at times and put it in tight windows.  Maybe its the ability to run with the ball.  Either way its that ability to do something above and beyond the average guy.

The other 80% of the time the QB is expected to perform at a baseline, doing the simple stuff.  Not taking a sack at the wrong time, calling the correct protection, making the easy throw in stride.  This is also just as important, some QBs do this well, and others struggle.

He even referenced a story about some coaches falling in love with Brock Osweiler just based off of a workout.  He definitely had the are talent to make those spectacular throws, it was the other 80% that he didn't' do so well.

Some QBs do one, but not the other, in both situations you will be disappointed.  The really great ones do both well.

Where does Teddy fit in this?  How about Cam?  Wilson, Lance, Trask?

As much as we are all talking about Teddy and future QBs I just keep thinking about this.

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Does he greatly increase your odds of winning vs. a league average starting QB? If yes, then yes. If no, then no. 

But what gets you there?  What are you looking for?  That was the point of the article.  Teddy seems to have the baseline but doesn't give you those 8-12 plays a game that you need. 4th and 8, you need a play.

How does that apply to drafting the QBs?  What about Trask at the next level?  Is he just a baseline guy?  Lance?  Has the tools for the spectacular but not sure about the baseline? 

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

But what gets you there?  What are you looking for?  That was the point of the article.  Teddy seems to have the baseline but doesn't give you those 8-12 plays a game that you need. 4th and 8, you need a play.

How does that apply to drafting the QBs?  What about Trask at the next level?  Is he just a baseline guy?  Lance?  Has the tools for the spectacular but not sure about the baseline? 

It's about a lot more than completion percentage and yards. There's a reason they call it the "it factor". You can't really quantify "it", you just know "it" when you see it 

16 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Elite?

2 minutes or less, down by one score, and you know that he has excellent shot at scoring and winning the game even against a good defense.

Montana, Brady, and Elway were masters at this

Elite qb's now?

Mahomes

Wilson

Rogers

Brees maybe

Watson maybe

Can't really think of anyone else.  

This^ 

Pretty much 2015 Cam

A QB with balls of steel 

Will win at all costs demeanor 

I don't know, but I'll try to define "IT", some QBs have "IT".

Watching the Panthers made me realize what it was, which is the longer the play goes on, after the snap, do I feel anxious that the QB is going to do something stupid, or do I get excited because I know the QB has a chance to do something great?

Pretty simple.

Archived