• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person on Marty Hurney situation

TheSpecialJuan

51 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

As long as you've got guys who know what they're doing and work together well, it can all turn out good in the end.

They do.

The executive team and the investment thesis are both in place, all that's require now is a bit of time put on the trade...

...keep the faith --- one need look no further than Tepper's massive bankroll to understand how incredibly effective the Appaloosa Model is over time. 

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Now you bring up a thought.  We bicker back and forth over which QB we should select in round 1.  Lawrence and Fields are gone.  That's pretty much a given.  

If you are Rhule, what QB would you take?  Based on the traits he likes.  I would think Wilson, Lance and Trask in that order.   If we go a different direction in round 1.  What second round pick has the traits he wants.  Fast, Smart and Athletic.  Is there a gem in round 2 or 3 that fits this mold?

There's the rub.

Is Rhule committed to the idea of Teddy being his QB?  If so, I think we could see Sewell, or possibly even a trade back or another defensive player...CB?

Just now, SizzleBuzz said:

They do.

The executive team and the investment thesis are both in place, all that's require now is a bit of time put on the trade...

...keep the faith --- one need look no further than Tepper's massive bankroll to understand how incredibly effective the Appaloosa Model is over time. 

Eeeehhh, no.

Tepper most certainly has demonstrated the ability to make money. So have Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and several others who have yet to demonstrate they have a clue when it comes to building a winning football team.

And no, the "Appaloosa model" doesn't guarantee jack sh-t when it comes to football.

If you want to win in football, you'd be wiser to think about the Steelers model.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

There's the rub.

Is Rhule committed to the idea of Teddy being his QB?  If so, I think we could see Sewell, or possibly even a trade back or another defensive player...CB?

I haven't seen anything that makes me think that, and it is worth remembering that we were prepared to take Justin Herbert last year if he fell to us.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I haven't seen anything that makes me think that, and it is worth remembering that we were prepared to take Justin Herbert last year if he fell to us.

I just wonder then...why the signing in the first place, and why that contract structure?

The whole thing is confusing...at best...to me.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I just wonder then...why the signing in the first place, and why that contract structure?

If the alternative was to start Grier or PJ and compete with the Jets for the 1st pick, I doubt we have a shot at Rhule and Brady in the first place. No coach wants to waste their first year and destroy their reputation during an intentionally awful season. They want to at least have a chance, a reason to make the players pay attention and build the right habits. 

That doesn't mean he's committed to Teddy. Teddy was just the last competent QB available. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Eeeehhh, no.

Tepper most certainly has demonstrated the ability to make money. So have Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and several others who have yet to demonstrate they have a clue when it comes to building a winning football team.

And no, the "Appaloosa model" doesn't guarantee jack sh-t when it comes to football.

If you want to win in football, you'd be wiser to think about the Steelers model.

Comparing Tepper to those 2 is akin to comparing the Steelers to a perpetually losing Pop Warner team.

Keep the faith....in time the truth will become apparent to you!

PS...what is the Steelers model?  (in your opinion)

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Problem is...if they want a QB1, can’t wait for them to fall.  Yeah I get  conventional draft  thinking but there are only so many draft worthy QBs and many teams that need them and only so often that a team is in position to get one 

brown is a nice player but he isn’t a QB1 

i just don’t feel that this brain trust, if you can call them that, has a plan to support their ‘process’

im very concerned they tied up this much money in Bridgewater and I have little faith in the half assed rebuild attempt.  Tepper concerns me.  If you are going to rebuild, rebuild   Get rid of Hurney for a start and stop handing out contracts to people like Shaq Thompson  pulled the trigger on CMC too early as well   In the meantime, will probably lose the only decent lineman they have to FA

same old same old 

25 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

It was a resonable gamble to make that at worst provides a high character guy if it didn't work out to lead the QBs room if we draft the future in 2021. His contract allows him to be released after 2021 with little damage going forward.  His cap hit's for 2020 and 2021 is 18th and 15th respectively. Its basically an average QB contract and has no real downsides. It wither worked out and we had our guy and if not we had a bridge to the next guy.

3 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

It was a resonable gamble to make that at worst provides a high character guy if it didn't work out to lead the QBs if we draft in 2021. His contract allows him to be released after 2021 with little damage going forward.  His cap hit's for 2020 and 2021 is 18th and 15th respectively. Its basically an average QB contract and has no real downsides.

The downside is the money it takes away from Moton, Samuel and a few others 

could have Dalton for a lot less if they wanted a free agent 

truthfully I’m concerned that if Brady thought Bridgewater was starting quality, we have a bigger issue 

as I said in another post, and mean it, Sean Payton is the winner in this scenario. He got rid of Bridgewater.  He wasn’t going to pay a backup starter money and the Panthers kept an eminently beatable qb in the division 

35 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I think the primary reasons were that he knew the system, he had support here in Joe Brady and Evan Cooper, and history made them think that he at least had a chance to prove he could be a franchise quarterback.

Hasn't worked out that way, but I can understand giving it a shot at the time.

23 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Comparing Tepper to those 2 is akin to comparing the Steelers to a perpetually losing Pop Warner team.

Keep the faith....in time the truth will become apparent to you!

PS...what is the Steelers model?  (in your opinion)

Tepper has yet to prove anything as an owner, and there's no guarantee that he will.

29 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Problem is...if they want a QB1, can’t wait for them to fall.  Yeah I get  conventional draft  thinking but there are only so many draft worthy QBs and many teams that need them and only so often that a team is in position to get one 

brown is a nice player but he isn’t a QB1 

i just don’t feel that this brain trust, if you can call them that, has a plan to support their ‘process’

im very concerned they tied up this much money in Bridgewater and I have little faith in the half assed rebuild attempt.  Tepper concerns me.  If you are going to rebuild, rebuild   Get rid of Hurney for a start and stop handing out contracts to people like Shaq Thompson  pulled the trigger on CMC too early as well   In the meantime, will probably lose the only decent lineman they have to FA

same old same old 

If we were still talking about Rivera and Hurney, I'd probably agree with you.

The one thing I think you can say with Matt Rhule though is that he does have a plan. Specifically, it's the same plan he used when he was turning around college programs.

Whether that plan will work in the NFL or not? Don't know.

But at least he has a plan.

Archived