Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Recommended Posts

It's really weird, "early" reviews were good, but then people watched and pretty much across the board the consensus is it's terrible.    I read a bunch of reviews too (just to make sure it's none of the "omg women" crowd).     I'm not in a rush now.    DC just can't get out of their own way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2021 at 12:58 AM, Porn Shop Clerk said:

it's a shame because doom patrol is phenom

The consensus online seems to be that while Marvel has nailed the comic-based movie format, DC has way better television shows. I probably need to check out Doom Patrol. I was happy to see Brendan Fraser back onscreen, doing well. 

 

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Panther'sBigD said:

The consensus online seems to be that while Marvel has nailed the comic-based movie format, DC has way better television shows. I probably need to check out Doom Patrol. I was happy to see Brendan Fraser back onscreen, doing well. 

 

from what I've seen Doom Patrol is the only one worth watching, but it's as good as any show i've ever seen

Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed it.  I mean, I have no intention of watching it again, but it was fun once.  I wish they had spent more time with Steve and Diana, because that relationship was the crux of the first one.  There were lots of good individual performances, and they would occasionally intersect for a cool scene.

Either some studio hack ruined the script, or the editor muffed it all up.  There was a good and fun movie there, but it got lost in some real stupid BS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible.  Outside of the Dark Knight trilogy DC comic movies in the "Marvel era" are just horrific.   Maybe it is because they get judged against Marvel.   But they just are always disappointing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CRA said:

Terrible.  Outside of the Dark Knight trilogy DC comic movies in the "Marvel era" are just horrific.   Maybe it is because they get judged against Marvel.   But they just are always disappointing.

 

Their problem is that they are trying to outdo Marvel.  Instead, they need to work on telling good and interesting stories.

With new Batman - deal with his psychology through his years as batman as he has to deal with a supervillian.

Superman - put him in the middle of the cold war.  That's something that would make for an interesting story.

Wonder Woman - I wanted more out of her relationship with Steve.  Again, I think 84 could have been a fantastic movie because the story bones with her and Steve were so good.

Overall, I'd say DC has a lot more "grim-dark" than Marvel does.  They should play into that without painting everything with a heavy brush.  Contrast is good, both visual and storytelling.  People love when characters have to make terrible choices and deal with the consequences.  Marvel hasn't done too much of that, but they hit the nail on the head with great casting, storytelling, effects.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Their problem is that they are trying to outdo Marvel.  Instead, they need to work on telling good and interesting stories.

With new Batman - deal with his psychology through his years as batman as he has to deal with a supervillian.

Superman - put him in the middle of the cold war.  That's something that would make for an interesting story.

Wonder Woman - I wanted more out of her relationship with Steve.  Again, I think 84 could have been a fantastic movie because the story bones with her and Steve were so good.

Overall, I'd say DC has a lot more "grim-dark" than Marvel does.  They should play into that without painting everything with a heavy brush.  Contrast is good, both visual and storytelling.  People love when characters have to make terrible choices and deal with the consequences.  Marvel hasn't done too much of that, but they hit the nail on the head with great casting, storytelling, effects.

Marvel simply nailed the blockbuster family fun superhero movie.  And they absolutely nailed the big picture universe storytelling....

I had high hopes for WW84.  She was the best part of Batman vs Superman and thought the first WW was decent.    But it was horrible.   Storytelling was bad.   Ending was weak.  The SNL girl casting bothered me from the jump and her evolution at the end was horrible.

 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CRA said:

Marvel simply nailed the blockbuster family fun superhero movie.  And they absolutely nailed the big picture universe storytelling....

I had high hopes for WW84.  She was the best part of Batman vs Superman and thought the first WW was decent.    But it was horrible.   Storytelling was bad.   Ending was weak.  The SNL girl casting bothered me from the jump and her evolution at the end was horrible.

 

I did to.  I love all the promotional materials for the film.  It looked like it could have been, and there was so much good.  Call it bad direction, bad editing, whatever, but WB ruined that movie.  It could have been a lot of fun, but they missed the point of the film themselves about short cuts...

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We saw it.

For lack of a better phrase, it was just soulless. There were maybe two fun moments, the rest was just an annoying drag of a movie that just kept going on and on and on. The first WW movie was stellar. This was just bleh.

Is there one particular thing I hated about it? Nah, not really, it didn't have enough oomph to generate any feelings other than, wow that was unimpressive. 

They set it in the 1980s but managed to create zero notes of nostalgia. I mean, there ain't much meat left on those bones, but still... shoulda been able to hit on something other than fanny packs and pushed up jacket sleeves.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...