• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Audit the 2020 Personnel Moves

Untouchable

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

As the reasonable argument has gone, a valuable pick like that should be used on "the money 5 positions" of QB, WR, OT, CB and DE as they offer the most return on investment. So most of what I have seen suggested selections like CJ Henderson or Mechi Becton were better uses of the pick then a NT/DT which are easier to find later in the draft.

The reasonable counter argument is, as you suggested, if you get a chance to get an elite prospect you take it because there are few that come out each year (usually about 8-12 per year).

I wanted an OT. Nothing against Brown but last years draft had 4 that looked very promising and so far haven't disappointed in their rookie seasons. My hope was we could trade down between 11-16 and get one of them and pick up an extra 2nd or couple 3rds depending. Use that extra pick to bolster our extremely thin offensive line. No complaints with Browns performance, that was just my hope. 

35 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

As the reasonable argument has gone, a valuable pick like that should be used on "the money 5 positions" of QB, WR, OT, CB and DE as they offer the most return on investment. So most of what I have seen suggested selections like CJ Henderson or Mechi Becton were better uses of the pick then a NT/DT which are easier to find later in the draft.

The reasonable counter argument is, as you suggested, if you get a chance to get an elite prospect you take it because there are few that come out each year (usually about 8-12 per year).

Yea my point really is that DT *is* one of those important positions. As important as DE, more important than WR.  A great DT allows DEs to feast, directly affect the run defense, and occasionally directly contribute pass rush themselves.  An impact DT isn’t really easier to find later in the draft. You can find any position later, but an impactful one not so much. I keep using the example of when we lost Star was when our defense started going to poo.

I think most thought we would win 4 to 5 games this year. I think there were some pleasant surprises: Davis, Miller, Burris, Scott, Chinn, Anderson, Charlton, and Cooper were average to very good signings. 
There were also disappointments with Teddy being the biggest and most impactful. 
This will be an interesting offseason and hope the Panthers upgrade: QB, MLB, CB1, LT, PK, LG and TE...and hopefully keep Moton. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I like Douglas, but I did read a blurb on NFL.com that said he's allowing a crazy high passer rating against him (something like 156.4, I think).

He was forced to cover the #1 WRs a lot, and I always question the zone CB ratings.  I dunno.  He is not great, but he is better than what we have.

I am curious about :
Hartsfield--he has been playing--where?

Thomas-Oliver--is he seeing the field?

25 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

He was forced to cover the #1 WRs a lot, and I always question the zone CB ratings.  I dunno.  He is not great, but he is better than what we have.

I am curious about :
Hartsfield--he has been playing--where?

Thomas-Oliver--is he seeing the field?

Hartsfield has been in at safety. He got a bunch of looks in the last 2 games with Franklin still realing from an ankle injury (I guess?) and the team using a bunch of 3 safety looks.

STO splits time with Pride when a starter is out (Douglas or Jackson). Mixed results.

23 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'll confess I'm still up in the air on a lot of these because I don't feel like we are where we're going to be yet. Plus draft picks, while some look good now, really take a couple of years to properly evaluate (remember when we thought Keary Colbert was a home run?)

The signing of Robby Anderson though is something I think pretty much everybody can agree was a positive.

I agree, but I'll argue that Kerr was our best FA pick up when you factor in money. We have him super cheap in 2021 as well.

Archived