• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Audit the 2020 Personnel Moves

Untouchable

Notable Late 2019 signings

Claim Mike Davis – He’s been an important piece this year with McCaffery’s injuries.

Claim Chris Reed – Pass protection is rough, Run blocking is not.  He’s been uninspiring to bad all year but cheap and has been very useful.

Coaching/Front Office

Matt Rhule named Head Coach – They are playing hard for him so its off to a good start.

Phil Snow and Joe Brady named DEF/OFF Coordinators – They’ve taken their lumps and at times look like they are just exploring what works in the NFL but have both been solid.  Snow having this defense currently ranked 18th in scoring (higher than the offense) is the shock of the season.

Keep Marty Hurney as GM – I’ll add this because the Panthers missed out on Andrew Berry this offseason because of it.  Tepper might have been focused elsewhere but it should have been a house cleaning.  Some GMs could turn down the position now because of Rhule’s heavy influence too.

Notable Extensions

Extend Shaq Thompson – Shaq isn’t a bad player and I get it, that vaunted LB core is unofficially gone because Kuechly is about to retire.  But this move will always be judged with the other player you let walk instead.  IMO, CB is a premium position and Bradberry is a good one and should have been the one kept.

Extend Christian McCaffery – McCaffery is fantastic but there was 2 years left even before playing the franchise tag game and we've seen this play out over an over again with paying talented RBs.  Maybe it will be different this time.

Taylor Moton – Should have paid him.

Curtis Samuel – Should have paid him.

Preseason 2020

Let Mario Addison, Gerald McCoy, Bruce Irvin, Greg Van Roten, Daryl Williams walk – These were most of the notable free agents walking.  Most are aging vets or mediocre at best and the team is looking to reset.  Projected to pull a 7th back from this group.

Extend Efe Obada, Reggie Bonnafon – These were no brainers.  No risk to sign, Obada offered a ton of reward too and should be a priority to resign.  Bonnafon was solid when healthy.

Extend Joey Slye, Release Graham Gano – Slye is inconsistent, Gano was too and paid like a top 5 kicker when he wasn’t.  Taking the lumps with the significantly cheaper option seems like the right move.

Release Greg Olsen – Move on from a vet whose foot doesn’t want to hold up anymore.  This looks smart as well.

Release Eric Reid/ Colin Jones, Sign Juston Burris & Resign Tre Boston – We wanted more coverage ability in the back end.  They are JAGs and shouldn’t stop the team from upgrading in the future, but this looks like the right move too.

Trade Trai Turner for Russell Okung, Sign John Miller & Michael Schofield – Injured for injured wash.  Panthers are out of Okung’s contract this year if they want and Miller has been plenty good enough so probably favoring the Panthers

Sign Tahir Whitehead – It was obvious before he was signed…YUCK!

Sign Stephen Weatherly – Just didn’t take the leap that was hoped for and beaten out early on by a rookie.  Maybe can salvage a depth spot next season but a strong cut candidate right now.

Release Cam Newton, Sign Teddy Bridgewater – No compensation for Cam is terrible and lost a 3rd round pick by signing Bridgewater too.  I’ll let their vision play out but it’s not looking good so far.  Bridgewater’s limitations remain painfully obvious and he looks to be regressing as the season went but he isn’t an obstacle to finding an upgrade.

Trade Kyle Allen, Sign PJ Walker – We got a what for Allen and upgraded the backup QB position?

Sign Zach Kerr, Let Vernon Butler walk – Kerr has been a very good rotational piece at a fraction of Butler’s cost so this was a good move.  McDermott knows how to harness Butler’s talent btw so it’s been very advantageous for Buffalo too. Panthers are projected to get a 5th for Butler too.

Sign Seth Roberts, Seth DeValve, Keith Kirkwood, Pharoh Cooper – Blindly throwing darts here.  Cooper is the only one who stuck and his return abilities have been very helpful

Sign Robby Anderson – Wish they would use him better but no question this was a great signing.

Sign Eli Apple – Late signing, didn’t work

2020 NFL Draft

Draft Derrick Brown, YGM, Jeremy Chinn – There is arguments that can be make about using a top 10 pick on Brown but all 3 of the first 2 day picks look like integral parts as long as their development keeps moving forward. 

Draft Pride, Robinson, Roy, STO – Day 3 of the draft guys have been contributors all year showing flashes and further development.

Sign Omar Bayless, Colin Thompson, Myles Hartsfield, Sam Franklin – Dart throws and good contributors (Bayless showed out in preseason but hit IR for the year).  Hartsfield and Franklin in particular could turn into solid versatile contributors

Sign Joseph Charlton – Has filled in nicely for Palardy this year as I can only think of one poor punt but don’t expect him to stick.

Sign Austin Larkin – Making contributions

Sign Rodney Smith – Came back during the season when the RB position was hit hard and hes been helpful since he was brought back.

Notable In-Season 2020

Claim Trent Scott, Rasul Douglas, Shareef Miller – Miller didn’t work but Scott could be a solid depth piece moving forward and Douglas has been an important part of the secondary even if he makes quite a bit of mental errors.

Fire Marty Hurney - They did get around to this eventually

There's a list to go off.  Did I miss some moves? How did the team do this last year?

I'll confess I'm still up in the air on a lot of these because I don't feel like we are where we're going to be yet. Plus draft picks, while some look good now, really take a couple of years to properly evaluate (remember when we thought Keary Colbert was a home run?)

The signing of Robby Anderson though is something I think pretty much everybody can agree was a positive.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Notable Late 2019 signings

Claim Mike Davis – He’s been an important piece this year with McCaffery’s injuries.

Claim Chris Reed – Pass protection is rough, Run blocking is not.  He’s been uninspiring to bad all year but cheap and has been very useful.

Coaching/Front Office

Matt Rhule named Head Coach – They are playing hard for him so its off to a good start.

Phil Snow and Joe Brady named DEF/OFF Coordinators – They’ve taken their lumps and at times look like they are just exploring what works in the NFL but have both been solid.  Snow having this defense currently ranked 18th in scoring (higher than the offense) is the shock of the season.

Keep Marty Hurney as GM – I’ll add this because the Panthers missed out on Andrew Berry this offseason because of it.  Tepper might have been focused elsewhere but it should have been a house cleaning.  Some GMs could turn down the position now because of Rhule’s heavy influence too.

Notable Extensions

Extend Shaq Thompson – Shaq isn’t a bad player and I get it, that vaunted LB core is unofficially gone because Kuechly is about to retire.  But this move will always be judged with the other player you let walk instead.  IMO, CB is a premium position and Bradberry is a good one and should have been the one kept.

Extend Christian McCaffery – McCaffery is fantastic but there was 2 years left even before playing the franchise tag game and we've seen this play out over an over again with paying talented RBs.  Maybe it will be different this time.

Taylor Moton – Should have paid him.

Curtis Samuel – Should have paid him.

Preseason 2020

Let Mario Addison, Gerald McCoy, Bruce Irvin, Greg Van Roten, Daryl Williams walk – These were most of the notable free agents walking.  Most are aging vets or mediocre at best and the team is looking to reset.  Projected to pull a 7th back from this group.

Extend Efe Obada, Reggie Bonnafon – These were no brainers.  No risk to sign, Obada offered a ton of reward too and should be a priority to resign.  Bonnafon was solid when healthy.

Extend Joey Slye, Release Graham Gano – Slye is inconsistent, Gano was too and paid like a top 5 kicker when he wasn’t.  Taking the lumps with the significantly cheaper option seems like the right move.

Release Greg Olsen – Move on from a vet whose foot doesn’t want to hold up anymore.  This looks smart as well.

Release Eric Reid/ Colin Jones, Sign Juston Burris & Resign Tre Boston – We wanted more coverage ability in the back end.  They are JAGs and shouldn’t stop the team from upgrading in the future, but this looks like the right move too.

Trade Trai Turner for Russell Okung, Sign John Miller & Michael Schofield – Injured for injured wash.  Panthers are out of Okung’s contract this year if they want and Miller has been plenty good enough so probably favoring the Panthers

Sign Tahir Whitehead – It was obvious before he was signed…YUCK!

Sign Stephen Weatherly – Just didn’t take the leap that was hoped for and beaten out early on by a rookie.  Maybe can salvage a depth spot next season but a strong cut candidate right now.

Release Cam Newton, Sign Teddy Bridgewater – No compensation for Cam is terrible and lost a 3rd round pick by signing Bridgewater too.  I’ll let their vision play out but it’s not looking good so far.  Bridgewater’s limitations remain painfully obvious and he looks to be regressing as the season went but he isn’t an obstacle to finding an upgrade.

Trade Kyle Allen, Sign PJ Walker – We got a what for Allen and upgraded the backup QB position?

Sign Zach Kerr, Let Vernon Butler walk – Kerr has been a very good rotational piece at a fraction of Butler’s cost so this was a good move.  McDermott knows how to harness Butler’s talent btw so it’s been very advantageous for Buffalo too. Panthers are projected to get a 5th for Butler too.

Sign Seth Roberts, Seth DeValve, Keith Kirkwood, Pharoh Cooper – Blindly throwing darts here.  Cooper is the only one who stuck and his return abilities have been very helpful

Sign Robby Anderson – Wish they would use him better but no question this was a great signing.

Sign Eli Apple – Late signing, didn’t work

2020 NFL Draft

Draft Derrick Brown, YGM, Jeremy Chinn – There is arguments that can be make about using a top 10 pick on Brown but all 3 of the first 2 day picks look like integral parts as long as their development keeps moving forward. 

Draft Pride, Robinson, Roy, STO – Day 3 of the draft guys have been contributors all year showing flashes and further development.

Sign Omar Bayless, Colin Thompson, Myles Hartsfield, Sam Franklin – Dart throws and good contributors (Bayless showed out in preseason but hit IR for the year).  Hartsfield and Franklin in particular could turn into solid versatile contributors

Sign Joseph Charlton – Has filled in nicely for Palardy this year as I can only think of one poor punt but don’t expect him to stick.

Sign Austin Larkin – Making contributions

Sign Rodney Smith – Came back during the season when the RB position was hit hard and hes been helpful since he was brought back.

Notable In-Season 2020

Claim Trent Scott, Rasul Douglas, Shareef Miller – Miller didn’t work but Scott could be a solid depth piece moving forward and Douglas has been an important part of the secondary even if he makes quite a bit of mental errors.

Fire Marty Hurney - They did get around to this eventually

There's a list to go off.  Did I miss some moves? How did the team do this last year?

This was well done.  Thanks

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I like Douglas, but I did read a blurb on NFL.com that said he's allowing a crazy high passer rating against him (something like 156.4, I think).

He was balling the first half of the season.... he has since came back to earth.

Panther's CB's: 

Rasul: See above.

Donte: Potential... if only he could reach it. 

Corn: Flashes...If this position wasnt a problem, him vs Donte would be a good camp matchup at nickel. 

Pride: Shouldnt be a starter but I'd still play him over Worley. 

Results: We have the same problem most of this board realized before the season. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I like Douglas, but I did read a blurb on NFL.com that said he's allowing a crazy high passer rating against him (something like 156.4, I think).

I wouldn't doubt it.  I cringe every time a ball is thrown his way.  I'm not a fan, not at all.  He makes DJ look like a legit #1 corner...yeah, that bad.

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Agree with most, but there’s no reasonable question about whether a foundational defensive player is worth a top ten pick.  Brown is absolutely worth it

As the reasonable argument has gone, a valuable pick like that should be used on "the money 5 positions" of QB, WR, OT, CB and DE as they offer the most return on investment. So most of what I have seen suggested selections like CJ Henderson or Mechi Becton were better uses of the pick then a NT/DT which are easier to find later in the draft.

The reasonable counter argument is, as you suggested, if you get a chance to get an elite prospect you take it because there are few that come out each year (usually about 8-12 per year).

Archived