• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Schoen

NAS

Just now, theinstrumental said:

You can’t account for every variable. It’s essential to understand what the model (or whatever you’re looking at) doesn’t know. That’s the difference between an analyst or an expert and a dude with a model. Tepper’s not going to hire a dude with a model.

I agree, which is why I said it should only be one input into the overall decision making process.  For example, if you have two equal prospects but one scores better in the model, I think it helps you break the tie.

26 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I really just don't see how GMs make that big of a difference .  Everyone talks about evaluating talent, but seriously, who would be better than a head coach at evaluating the talent of the people he wants to bring in?  Seems like the teams with coach GMs are always a step ahead.  Might just be a misperception of mine.

To paraphrase Lombardi, GM’s understand rosters through talent, and coaches understand talent through scheme. If the GM and coach mesh, then they can work together and the relationship can help the team. 

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

But Tepper wants Caserio as our next GM? Yikes.

I have no idea how much input Caserio has there. All we really know is that Belichick calls the final shots. Caserio might be part of the drafting problems or he might be a voice of sanity in the room but Belichick goes full mad scientist on draft day anyway. 

34 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I really just don't see how GMs make that big of a difference .  Everyone talks about evaluating talent, but seriously, who would be better than a head coach at evaluating the talent of the people he wants to bring in?  Seems like the teams with coach GMs are always a step ahead.  Might just be a misperception of mine.

Yikes.

GM's and honestly front offices in general need to be VERY good to maintain consistency, something that we have never strived for.

Know Joe personally from our time together with the Dolphins. I believe I remember him telling me he started as a ticket sales intern with the Panthers and that is where he met Beane... the two have a long history together. He’s my personal favorite candidate for his track record in personnel. Hope he comes back to Carolina to draft this team back to NFC contention year in and year out. 

34 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

The key to being a GM is you have to have an ability to read the waves of the coach, players, and league and adjust your long term plan accordingly. That's where Hurney flat out failed. He was always a short term win now guy. Team building strategy was his primary weakness and if you look at his record as GM, it shows. 

It's why I hated the 2019 draft so much. Yeah, we got Burns, who has worked out well, but the overall reasoning behind the picks was asinine. It ignored the strengths of the draft for positions we didnt really have to have immediately. It was all part of a short sighted off season that had almost zero real chance of ever succeeding. 

A good GM knows what his coach needs to succeed, but also when it's time for the coach to move on. Which players will fit the role and personality a coach needs and can fit within the budget. It's about balance and juggling and neither Hurney or Gman were very good at it. Gman was better than Hurney, but not by much. 

9 minutes ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

Know Joe personally from our time together with the Dolphins. I believe I remember him telling me he started as a ticket sales intern with the Panthers and that is where he met Beane... the two have a long history together. He’s my personal favorite candidate for his track record in personnel. Hope he comes back to Carolina to draft this team back to NFC contention year in and year out. 

Was wondering if you did.

Also saw where DeShaun Foster knew Adam Peters.

Archived