• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say You're the New GM. What do you Do About the Oline going Into 2021 season??

Hoenheim

Overthecap says kk has a 20 mil cap hit for 2021. He really needs to be cut badly.

We have over 57 million dollars on the books for 2021 on three players : Teddy Bridgewater , Shaq Thompson, KK Short. Jesus christ.... Now I'm starting to understand why Hurney firing is long overdue

Depends on what happens in the draft.

If we get Sewell somehow, and tag Moton, we could be in decent shape with a mid level G.

If we get a QB, I have absolutely no idea currently.  I do know that I would focus HARD on O Line evaluations, including IOL for the mid round selections.

I do fear that with a better O Line, and Teddy back under Center again, we could very well be picking around 12-18 next season, making it tougher to snag that QB of the future.

Oline takes time and draft investment to get right. Something the Panthers never understood since Gross retired.

Honestly it doesn’t matter what they do 5 starting positions (4 if they resign Moton) isn’t going to be ‘fixed’ in an single off season. Can’t all of a sudden address a decade overdue issue like an entire oline like it’s a skill position.

Going to be a couple drafts before it shapes up.

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Depends on what happens in the draft.

If we get Sewell somehow, and tag Moton, we could be in decent shape with a mid level G.

If we get a QB, I have absolutely no idea currently.  I do know that I would focus HARD on O Line evaluations, including IOL for the mid round selections.

I do fear that with a better O Line, and Teddy back under Center again, we could very well be picking around 12-18 next season, making it tougher to snag that QB of the future.

We aren't getting Sewell at 8 unless there's a early run on QBs and he somehow drops to us . 

I think we go after no less than two OL in the draft.  OT, more specifically, LT and a center with guard capabilities. Low-ball some of these Miller, Schofied, Reed types also.  Some will balk and move on, others will want the employment.  Draft the OT in the second round and then center in rounds 4 or 5 to sit/learn behind Paradis for a year.  Re-sign Moton obvisouly.

1 minute ago, Hoenheim said:

Overthecap says kk has a 20 mil cap hit for 2021. He really needs to be cut badly.

June 1 cut and we save 9M, and can spread 5.5 over the following two seasons.

He should have never played a down for the Panthers in 2020.

Dumbass move.

1 minute ago, onmyown said:

Oline takes time and draft investment to get right. Something the Panthers never understood since Gross retired.

Honesty it doesn’t matter what they do 5 starting positions (4 if they resign Moton) isn’t going to be ‘fixed’ in an effort off season. 

Goong to be a couple drafts before it shapes up.

It doesn't have to be perfect . Resigning Moton and having Paradis is already 2 out of 5. Draft a really good started and that's 3/5 . You don't have to have 5/5 all star pro bowlers on the oline to make it a good oline overall

I’d honestly just tag moton back to back then let him walk while drafting replacements. I don’t see us being a playoff team next year and probably not the year after. It could happen because our schedule looks favorable next year  but I think it’s gonna be year 4 of Rhule before we are a playoff team if we draft well enough and get an effective qb.  People are really going to turn on Matt if I had to guess. But this franchise is a mess.

If they went dline in first two picks last year they can go oline twice in the first three rounds this year imo.

Some more defensive help at mlb CB and some depth pieces would be nice but I think it's time to finally stop ignoring the oline 

5 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

It doesn't have to be perfect . Resigning Moton and having Paradis is already 2 out of 5. Draft a really good started and that's 3/5 . You don't have to have 5/5 all star pro bowlers on the oline to make it a good oline overall

Unlikely you draft a really good starter for the oline. Usually takes time to develop. The oline is special because you have to draft guys that gel together, not just good, single players. So it takes time.

I don’t count Paradis...he is ungodly awful and shouldn’t be starting. Plus he has one year left. Once again the Panthers are in the position to address this BEFORE it becomes an (even more) glaring hole and they need to.

They’ve had what...6?8? Starting LTs since Oher? That has to lead to league. I’m clearly not talking about all pros everywhere...even an average LT isn’t easy to find.

Point is, the Panthers have dug a hole and won’t be fielding a competing oline for a couple years.

Archived