• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer: Panthers could make multiple front office hires

TheSpecialJuan

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Bad idea.

First of all, you're going to be hard pressed to find good GM candidates who think "sharing" duties is going to be a good thing.  You'll find plenty of flawed candidates willing to take a lesser role.

Find one guy to be THE guy.  If you then want to give him a couple different guys directly under him to specialize in those things, fine, do that.  A GM with two assistants, yes, that makes sense.  It also gives those assistants a much clearer path forward.  Your resume isn't "I was half a GM in Carolina", it's "I was an Assistant GM in Carolina".

All valid...

3 hours ago, Zod said:

I actually like what Tepper is doing. Taking a look at the entire structure of the NFL that has been in place for a 100 years and trying something new because the NFL looks absolutely nothing like what it did at that time in terms of how to build a team. 

I remain optimistic, and so should you. 

You need to find better talking heads to listen to, because I didn’t hear that from the ones I do.

Jones will probably go top 20.  The Pats could be his floor at 15.

I always thought it was going to play out this way, just I thought Pat Stewart was going to be one of those type people to be a part of a triumvirate at the top of the organization or something like that. not sure if that's still the case. or if Stewart and Suleiman are already entrenched in that capacity.

listen to Tepper talk about how the Panthers operated when he got here and this starts to make a lot more logical sense. or at least the "plan" starts to become a bit more clear. he was concerned that expertise was "siloed" in both the business side and the football side of Panthers ops when he came onboard. he wants open communication, collaboration, and knowledge sharing, most importantly at the top levels.

hiring a one-stop-shop type of GM would seemingly go away from that goal. maybe the plan was to hire multiple people all along, but with Hurney gone, the search for the other people to fill these roles became more high profile.

I'll tell you the part I find most amusing when we're discussing this as "forward thinking".

The Panthers have already tried something like this, and they did it under the not so forward thinking Jerry Richardson.

After the departure of Bill Polian, Richardson expressed a dislike of the traditional single GM scheme and instead went with a shared leadership concept, splitting duties between guys like Jack Bushofsky and Dom Anile.

The results it produced weren't anything to write home about, so a few years later he went back to having a traditional GM.

Unfortunately for us, that GM was Marty Hurney.

It's less about having a newfangled structure and more about having the right people.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's less about having a newfangled structure and more about having the right people.

I remember this is something Rhule really made a point to drive home when he was hired. Putting people in the right position to succeed. 

Given the two big front office hired Tepper has made with Stewart and Suleiman to date, I think they are on the right path of having the right people in place. 

Archived