• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Speculation on the next QB Coach and possible future OC...

blueandblackattack

NFL: AUG 09 Preseason - Texans at Chiefs

Last year there was a lot of buzz about Sean Ryan as one of the top candidates for the OC position, until Rhule brought in Joe Brady.

Now that the Lions coach staff is broken up, it would be a great opportunity to bring in the guy who coached Deshaun Watson (which might be a good incentive to get him here, if the 1% chance happens).

What's more, if Joe Brady does move on to a HC position, then we already have our next OC in place and should be a smooth transition. Bing bang boom, done. I hope if it's true that we get him locked down ASAP before the Senior Bowl.

Here's an article I found discussing Sean Ryan as a strong candidate:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/1/7/22219086/detroit-lions-bo-davis-texas-hire-qb-coach-sean-ryan-panthers

He was with the Giants the year Matt Rhule was there. He might be more likely to get the QB Coach role than the OC job since it's expected Rhule will elevate RB Coach Jeff Nixon to OC.

We also interviewed three other experiences candidates for quarterback coach before naming Jake Peetz.

Could see some speculation about Brian Schottenheimer as well since he runs a similar system to what we had, though opinions on him are mixed. Jim Caldwell is available too.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He was with the Giants the year Matt Rhule was there. He might be more likely to get the QB Coach role than the OC job since it's expected Rhule will elevate RB Coach Jeff Nixon to OC.

We also interviewed three other experiences candidates for quarterback coach before naming Jake Peetz.

Could see some speculation about Brian Schottenheimer as well since he runs a similar system to what we had, though opinions on him are mixed. Jim Caldwell is available too.

I don't get the love for Caldwell.  I think his reputation was massively inflated by Peyton Manning.  Post Manning, he hasn't really done anything.

6 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I don't get the love for Caldwell.  I think his reputation was massively inflated by Peyton Manning.  Post Manning, he hasn't really done anything.

He helped the Ravens get to the Super Bowl with Joe Flacco. That's what got him the Lions job.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

He helped the Ravens get to the Super Bowl with Joe Flacco. That's what got him the Lions job.

That's the common misconception, yes.  He actually didn't.  Cam Cameron was the OC up until early / mid December of their Super Bowl season.  Caldwell was the QB coach.  That year where Cam Cameron was the guy for the majority of it, the team ranked 10th in scoring offense.  The next year where Caldwell was the guy all year, they ranked 25th.

Here are the two seasons from Flacco's stats:

image.png.faf6925f2d1debedc2f93211dc4d72b8.png

You could make a very strong case that Flacco regressed massively.

Like I said, I just don't get it.

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

That's the common misconception, yes.  He actually didn't.  Cam Cameron was the OC up until early / mid December of their Super Bowl season.  Caldwell was the QB coach.  That year where Cam Cameron was the guy for the majority of it, the team ranked 10th in scoring offense.  The next year where Caldwell was the guy all year, they ranked 25th.

Here are the two seasons from Flacco's stats:

image.png.faf6925f2d1debedc2f93211dc4d72b8.png

You could make a very strong case that Flacco regressed massively.

Like I said, I just don't get it.

Cameron was fired. That's why Caldwell took over.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Cameron was fired. That's why Caldwell took over.

Yes, I understand that.  But Cameron was the architect of that offense, not Caldwell.

Cam Cameron was the OC for four years in Baltimore, from 2008 to 2012.  HIs offenses were 11th, 9th, 12th, 10th in scoring offenses those seasons.  Very respectable and consistent numbers given the Ravens focus on defense.  Caldwell took over with three games left that season.  To say that the success that season was his is an awfully big stretch.  Caldwell took over an offense that was already playing well in a system that suited the players.

THE VERY NEXT YEAR, the first year that Caldwell was the architect, their offense dropped to 25th in scoring.

He's been handed success by being in the right place at the right time.  Dungy handed him a team with an all time great at QB and a defense built to succeed.  He had one good year withh Dungy's team and then began regressing.  The year Manning was injured Caldwell went 2-14.

Please, what am I not seeing here?  The guy hasn't actually built anything himself.  He's taken over successfully built situations and generally goes downhill soon thereafter.  NO THANKS.

16 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Yes, I understand that.  But Cameron was the architect of that offense, not Caldwell.

Cam Cameron was the OC for four years in Baltimore, from 2008 to 2012.  HIs offenses were 11th, 9th, 12th, 10th in scoring offenses those seasons.  Very respectable and consistent numbers given the Ravens focus on defense.  Caldwell took over with three games left that season.  To say that the success that season was his is an awfully big stretch.  Caldwell took over an offense that was already playing well in a system that suited the players.

THE VERY NEXT YEAR, the first year that Caldwell was the architect, their offense dropped to 25th in scoring.

He's been handed success by being in the right place at the right time.  Dungy handed him a team with an all time great at QB and a defense built to succeed.  He had one good year withh Dungy's team and then began regressing.  The year Manning was injured Caldwell went 2-14.

Please, what am I not seeing here?  The guy hasn't actually built anything himself.  He's taken over successfully built situations and generally goes downhill soon thereafter.  NO THANKS.

I'd put it to you this way.

Jim Caldwell is still getting NFL interviews. Cam Cameron was last seen being fired from LSU in 2016.

That's how the league views them.

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I honestly didn't even remember Caldwell was still in the NFL. Those last few seasons with the Lions I thought had drained him of any will to keep living. At least that's how he looked.

So weird we would look to him at an OC.

url.jpg

Might be more likely as a QB Coach, honestly.

Archived