• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rumor circulating between a potential Panthers/Niners QB swap... Teddy B for Jimmy G

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Oh, you guys are missing the boat. Jimmy has $0 guaranteed. Bring him into camp and see what happens but still draft a QB of the future.

Worst case, he sucks and you cut him. Then it’s we traded Teddy and his $10M guarantee for a 2nd. Are you shitting me? I’d give a 4th or 5th just to have a team take Teddy off our hands if it means we save $18M in cap space.

Heck, I’d do this trade today and cut Jimmy tomorrow. Save $18M and get a 2nd, heck ya.

You have no idea how to read a contract.

Bridgewaters' signing bonus cap hit doesn't disappear when he's traded we still get his bonus proration hit on our cap but all at once.

Then in the same vein, Jimmy G's signing bonus doesn't hit our cap regardless so saying he has no guaranteed money is irrelevant if we trade for him. That's true of any player acquired by trade.

If he plays for us his 800,000 per game roster bonus and 600,000 workout does hit our cap.

Given they have similar salaries we would be hit with Teddy's prorated bonus just to switch to a similarly salaried turd.

Edited by Moo Daeng
1 hour ago, KSpan said:

I don't see how/why SF takes on Teddy's whole contract hit. That would have to be a specific term of the deal - why would they get an equivalent-at-best QB that is more expensive?

Not saying this is anything but a completely made up rumor. If true, I’d make the deal in a second and let the coaches decide if they can salvage Jimmy. If not, added cap space and a draft pick is a great result. 

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Not saying this is anything but a completely made up rumor. If true, I’d make the deal in a second and let the coaches decide if they can salvage Jimmy. If not, added cap space and a draft pick is a great result. 

Sure if SF's willing to take the whole contract off the books but that's my point - why would SF do that? Without the money off the books the only real reason for Carolina to make this trade would seemingly be because all goodwill between Teddy and the team is gone (wouldn't really surprise me at this point) and they aren't confident they'll get 'their guy' this offseason. 

16 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

You have no idea how to read a contract.

Bridgewaters' signing bonus cap hit doesn't disappear when he's traded we still get his bonus proration hit on our cap but all at once.

Then in the same vein, Jimmy G's signing bonus doesn't hit our cap regardless so saying he has no guaranteed money is irrelevant if we trade for him. That's true of any player acquired by trade.

If he plays for us his 800,000 per game roster bonus and 600,000 workout does hit our cap.

Given they have similar salaries we would be hit with Teddy's prorated bonus just to switch to a similarly salaried turd.

As usual you want to get technical so here we go. You think you know things and you aren’t as smart as you think.

First, IDGAF about Teddy’s signing bonus cap hit. We paid it, it’s done, we only decide when it his our cap. We cannot change it, trade or no trade. The fact that you brought up signing bonuses is a bat signal that you have no clue.

Second, if you read my post correctly, I said that if we trade Teddy we get rid of his $10 million guarantee. You incorrectly assumed that was his signing bonus. Nope. He has $10M guaranteed salary in 2021. If we keep or release him we get hit with another $10M cap hit. Again, Teddy’s and Jimmy’s signing bonuses mean nothing for this discussion, only future guarantees and new money.

So, if we trade Teddy, we are off the hook for $18M in new money, $10M of which was guaranteed. We get off the hook for the guaranteed portion with a trade. Jimmy has $0 guarantees so in conclusion, if we trade Teddy and cut Jimmy, we will have saved $18M in 2021 cap space and got a 2nd. We could also choose to keep Jimmy if he wows in camp.

While this was a silly hypothetical discussion that won’t happen, you showed how you are often wrong while you think you are right. I just love that you follow me around and try and prove me wrong though, it’s charming. 

3 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Sure if SF's willing to take the whole contract off the books but that's my point - why would SF do that? Without the money off the books the only real reason for Carolina to make this trade would seemingly be because all goodwill between Teddy and the team is gone (wouldn't really surprise me at this point) and they aren't confident they'll get 'their guy' this offseason. 

They wouldn’t, it’s a terrible deal for them. They can drop Jimmy right now and not lose anymore money (dead cap from signing bonus is there either way). We can’t quite do the same since Teddy has $10M in guaranteed salary. I just replied to you even though a bunch of people said the same that they wouldn’t do the deal. For us it would be a great deal. 

On 2/3/2021 at 11:16 PM, Moo Daeng said:

I didn't read past the first post saying it was player for player. Is there something saying picks would be involved?  Ythey have comparable contracts the remainder. I don't see significant play or contract advantages for either team 

Nope, Its my guess to the outcome. The contracts are different, Teddy gets 10 million guaranteed no matter what. Thats the reason for including draft picks. Jimmy doesnt have any guarantees and could be cut with no dead cap. Getting that 10 million off the books is the advantage. 

• Pie 1
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Shocker said:

If this swap were to happen I would be terrified at the future of this teams front office.  

Honestly, if it’s just a swap, I’d do it in a heartbeat. Jimmy G has $0 guaranteed. We’d save $18M in cap space with a trade and release of Jimmy G. We’d save $8M with just a release of Teddy.

I’m willing to trade Teddy for anyone with no guaranteed money. I don’t need a pick and maybe I throw in a later round pick to save the $10M extra in cap space.

Maybe you can find another trade partner to get a pick for Jimmy too. Anyone who wants to trade for Teddy is getting him.

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Honestly, if it’s just a swap, I’d do it in a heartbeat. Jimmy G has $0 guaranteed. We’d save $18M in cap space with a trade and release of Jimmy G. We’d save $8M with just a release of Teddy.

I’m willing to trade Teddy for anyone with no guaranteed money. I don’t need a pick and maybe I throw in a later round pick to save the $10M extra in cap space.

Maybe you can find another trade partner to get a pick for Jimmy too. Anyone who wants to trade for Teddy is getting him.

Jimmy G has a no trade clause...so this ain't happening to a team just releasing him immediately.  I mean he could and maybe would wave that but hard to know.

Next WTF would SF want Teddy?

Edited by Shocker
24 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Jimmy G has a no trade clause...so this ain't happening to a team just releasing him immediately.  I mean he could and maybe would wave that but hard to know.

Next WTF would SF want Teddy?

You are correct. I also didn’t realize this was such and old thread, my point was only that if we can get rid of the extra $10M guaranteed for Teddy, I’m all for it.

• Pie 1