• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Expanse...why didn't anyone tell me about this???

d-dave

9 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Never read the books. Just enjoying the show. 

From a very early ago (young teenager) I changed my perspective when it came to shows and movies.  Before then,  I like most people, would be overly critical of anything I watch.   I learned not to buy the hype of any advertising/trailers. 

Then I asked myself. What is the main reason for shows and movies? To be entertained. That's it.  Being overly critical just takes away from enjoying the show movie.  

Yes, it's easy to be critical of a transformers movie, as their plots leave a lot to be desired.  Yet, I still find them entertaining. Pacific Rim (the first one) was easy to just check the brain at the door, and be entertained.  

Anyways, I really didn't intent to go down this rabbit hole.  My point is, most shows that people are critical of, I still find enjoyable. 

I.E. Waterworld. 

I am not a Kevin Costner fan. He is full of himself, and not nearly the actor he thinks of himself to be.  He's in a lot of good movies, so I've had to watch him way more than I care to. Plus the movie bombed at the box office, Not covering the cost of production. 

Yet I thoroughly enjoy the movie. In fact, any time it's on, I'll watch it if I have the time. It just one of those movies for.me. 5th element is another.  Neither movie would I put in my favorite movies of all times, I just find them fun to watch. 

The Expense is very easy to sit down with, and enjoy. It strums my Sci fi strings very well. 

Well Said and totally agree, I will always watch waterward if its on, at the very least its Original and Originality is something lacking in movies today, fifth element same. Just good fun 

I also love the Riddick trilogy, great mix of sci fi / action, love the character. 

I will only turn something off  if I'm not being entertained, then off it goes and I will find something else to entertain me for x amount of time. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, PurityControl said:

Well Said and totally agree, I will always watch waterward if its on, at the very least its Original and Originality is something lacking in movies today, fifth element same. Just good fun 

I also love the Riddick trilogy, great mix of sci fi / action, love the character. 

I will only turn something off  if I'm not being entertained, then off it goes and I will find something else to entertain me for x amount of time. 

While Aristotle had a major point that plot was the most important aspect of a dramatic work, we've kind of hit a point where a lot of stories are just samey.  I love a fun sci-fi story.  It's good ole comfort food.

Riddick's movies where silly and over the top.  Space Opera? Yeah, not for everyone, but if you are into that, they hit the spot.

The Expanse really hit the mark on a crew based show of some outlaws that I've missed since Firefly was canceled.  I love this kind of niche genre based stuff.  It doesn't all have to be billion dollar disney stuff.

• Pie 1

• 9 months later...
On 1/15/2022 at 7:51 AM, Harbingers said:

Is it the official end(story wise, not Amazon contract) or now do they just have to wait until the actors age twenty years, so they can catch up to the book content?

I'm pretty sure the next three books are 30 years after.  I don't think it's even the same main characters but I could be wrong, been saving that for when I read those books.  I'm hoping Amazon has been in talks to doing those or a mini-series considering they kept showing that other planet but who knows.

• 3 months later...

Surprisingly, the plot catches on from the first series and each time stuns the viewer with another incredible turn, escalating and escalating events. It is absolutely impossible to guess what will happen next globally, who will die and who will survive, and, most importantly, what is really going on here! As a result, with growing impatience, you look forward to each new series. Such twisting of intrigue is, I tell you, a huge achievement, especially for the series!

I think it's a very good piece of science fiction, which is rare these days.