• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2021 Cap

bababoey

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

No, it is a legitimate point--last year, no camp, preseason, etc. and you have a LT veteran and a second year player--not the time to move him to the left.  However, if you plan on doing so after negotiations for a RT, etc.  I think he might get a look there, but pay him as a RT, and maybe add a LT bonus? 

Now we're thinking alike...very shrewdly.  😀

Edited by 45catfan

Still not the year to go shopping IMO.  Re-sign Moton, fill out the roster with high potential low cost guys and see what sticks again.  If we spend anywhere, it should obviously be on the lines. 

Being reckless with the cap, in what's still a rebuild, compounded with a probable rookie QB who may not pan out doesn't make much sense and could cause a hard reset again. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The advantage of tagging him is that you don't have to negotiate with the entire NFL to get him back if you can't get a deal hammered out before free agency opens. Remember our new GM will have a much more condensed timeline than the previous GM did to have to deal with Moton. 

Also the added benefit of at least returning 1-2 starters from this offensive line. 

I get that part, but I meant playing with a tag.  He's obviously priority #1 out of the gate, so the condensed timeline is of little consequence.  I think we only tag him if there's an contract stalemate and he's asking for more than the Panthers are willing to pay.  Granted the whole 'dance' involved takes a little time, but this is an OL contract, not a skill player.  It should be fairly straight forward and could be hammered out in short order if the two sides are not far off in their numbers.

This is going to sound stupid on the surface--We probably need to keep Paradis for a season and re-sign Moton, and bring in a free agent, experienced LG. Draft the LT and RG. 

Reason?--the OL is about communication and you really do not want 2 rookies beside one another if you can help it.  Defensive coordinators would feast on that.

With that in mind, I have an interest in Myers out of Ohio State because he can play G for a season and move over to C in 2022.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I get that part, but I meant playing with a tag.  He's obviously priority #1 out of the gate, so the condensed timeline is of little consequence.  I think we only tag him if there's an contract stalemate and he's asking for more than the Panthers are willing to pay.  Granted the whole 'dance' involved takes a little time, but this is an OL contract, not a skill player.  It should be fairly straight forward and could be hammered out in short order if the two sides are not far off in their numbers.

Well a deal hasn't happened yet so it is entirely possible that the sides are far apart on the numbers. Hence the statement about the condensed timeline. 

We'll see what happens fairly soon. 

Just now, MHS831 said:

This is going to sound stupid on the surface--We probably need to keep Paradis for a season and re-sign Moton, and bring in a free agent, experienced LG. Draft the LT and RG. 

Reason?--the OL is about communication and you really do not want 2 rookies beside one another if you can help it.  Defensive coordinators would feast on that.

With that in mind, I have an interest in Myers out of Ohio State because he can play G for a season and move over to C in 2022.

I think you want to draft at least 3-4 OL in this draft, if possible. We need to start addressing not just the starters but the backups, as well. That entire unit is basically barren. It's time to make moves to fix it long term. 

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Doesn't sound stupid at all.  Sure, we want to move on from everybody but Moton.  But, in the name of some continuity we can't do that in one year.  Paradis may or may not be okay at C next season, but he is familiar with both our blocking schemes and Moton.

I agree with you, having one side of the line or the entire middle being either rookies is a recipe for exploitation!

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Who would pay Moton $16.5M average salary a year?  That's what is PFF is projecting (speculating) him to get.   As for me? Nope, it was nice knowing ya!

TBD. We have no idea what the market for RT's is going to be nor where teams value him. The cap dropping overall will hurt his market, I would suspect. 

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Who would pay Moton $16.5M average salary a year?  That's what is PFF is projecting (speculating) him to get.   As for me? Nope, it was nice knowing ya!

Spotrac and OTC are both speculating (I like that word for this) between $14.7M and and $15.5M.  I have no idea if those numbers were revisited with the latest salary cap information.

45 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It doesn't sound stupid at all. It sounds logical. 

4 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Spotrac and OTC are both speculating (I like that word for this) between $14.7M and and $15.5M.  I have no idea if those numbers were revisited with the latest salary cap information.

While I'm at it, they also say we re-sign Okung to an average $16.6M/year deal and Samuel signs elsewhere for $8.3M/year.  Those were our top FAs. 

PFFs top 150 FAs

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Quick cuts get us to $49.5M and also in Teddy’s case frees up a bunch in 2022:

Short, Teddy, Weatherly, Palardy and Little

Seems like no-brainers to me and nothing lost for our rebuild. Plenty to allow us to sign rookies and Moton. If we take a rookie QB, we could also do the big cap rollover we should have done last year. To think that if we hadn’t let Marty be Marty in 2020 we’d have @ $100M to spend/rollover into 2022.

Yeah, it's monopoly money at that point.  This is where you get teams so cap flush they sign guys like Devin Funchess to $13M deals, even for only a year *Colts*.  It's one thing to be filthy cap rich, but it's another to have a decent product on the field too.  It's a delicate balance.  Ideally, for a competitive team you would like north of $40M heading into the offseason.  The Browns, for years, had the crazy amounts of cap space and it got them nowhere.

Getting back to your cut list, I wouldn't lose any sleep over those guys not being here next year.  Honestly, Little is probably the odds favorite to remain of the bunch.