• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interview with Phil Snow

ladypanther

31 minutes ago, Icege said:

The defense looked a lot better than expected and trended up while Bridgewater trended down. That much is certain. However, they also played their roles in the team's losses this season as much as people want to put that blame on one player that replaced their favourite.

I'm very interested to see what the defense looks like this season with a full year under its belt.

I’ll admit all things considered the d was better than I thought it was gonna be, but it still isn’t good and was about the least clutch I can recall ever seeing 

• Pie 1

I'm surprised our defense ranked as high as it did last season.

Our defense had 29 sacks last year. Brian Burns had 9 (a respectable total) of them which is almost a one-third of our team total. Efe Oboda had 5.5. Marquis Haynes had 4. Our DT's (Brown and Kerr) had a combined total of 4.  Those numbers aren't going to get it done in today's pass happy NFL. I remember watching several games where it seemed that we just couldn't make the QB uncomfortable in the pocket.

Too make matter worse the team only had 7 INT's. Donte Jackson had 3 of those...which is almost half. He was the only corner on the team with an interception in 2020. Four other defenders had 1 each, and one of those was a LB (Tahir Whitehead). Those numbers are terrible. 

The pass rush should complement the pass coverage and vice versa. We don't have enough talent to field a FORMIDABLE defense. I have no doubt our D-line will get better as the players age, but our secondary is in desperate need of a play-maker at CB. We could use a ball hawk at Safety to help out Chinn. And, none of the LB's on our roster are true difference makers. You don't have to account for them in the game-plan like you do with the guys in Tampa Bay

If we can't get a QB at 8, I would have no problem with the team taking a CB, pass rusher, or even a LB to improve the defense...although a LT would be a very nice addition.