• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Suppose CMC is part of the deal for Watson

DaveThePanther2008

On 2/21/2021 at 9:04 AM, AU-panther said:

At some point you need to learn to form your own opinion and just not blindly follow what you read from some reporter.

I said we could afford to trade CMC and resign Samuel this year if we wanted.  Didn't say we should, or financially long term it would be wise but I said it is feasible.  That is a fact and not really debatable.

Cap hit if CMC is traded is $17.2m according to Spotrac.com and overthecap.com.

Christian McCaffrey Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Christian McCaffrey Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

I think Voth said around $21m.  Some of CMC's guaranteed money is in the form of guaranteed salary which is tradeable so that is probably why the two numbers are different.

CMC's cap hit if not traded is about $12.5 million.  If he is traded its $17.2m

17.2 - 12.5 = $4.7m

If we trade CMC we lose $4.7m in cap space.  Lets say Samuel has a first year cap cost of $6m.  That would be a total $10.7m in extra cap space this year.  We can afford that.

Long-term, how much would we be on the hook for in dead cap after 2021?

If CMC is part of a deal for DW, would that allow us to add, say, Samuel + a TE (Jonnu/Everett/Henry) if the contract is on the low end in year 1 and then we make '22 the year where it accelerates? Not necessarily fully backloaded, but if '21 has a minimal impact and then '22 absorbs more when our cap opens up. 

I'm sure Teddy would get moved at some point to free up some cap too.

Bring Mike Davis back and/or draft someone like Sermon in R3 or R4 to pair up with Bonnafon & Smith.

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

What defensive player could we give? CMC is about all we have. I guess we could package Chinn, Shaq, and YGM. But that's about it. 

My ideal trade that is through Panther blue lenses:

2021 FRP

2022 FRP

2023 FRP

CMC 

Robby

YGM

* Teddy if they want...but I doubt they take on the salary of CMC, Teddy and RA.

It stings, but doesn't cripple us. I think their offer would be:

4 draft picks instead of 3

DJ instead of Robby

Burns or Chinn instead of YGM

This is where the negotiating game will be critical and how much Tepper chimes in to get DW. Who will blink first....

Houston, who just lost their franchise WR and DE over the last year and now has a disgruntled QB that their fans know wants out, but the team is standing firm on. Carolina, who has shown their hand in being needy for a QB and has assets to offer.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Soul Rebel said:

My ideal trade that is through Panther blue lenses:

2021 FRP

2022 FRP

2023 FRP

CMC 

Robby

YGM

* Teddy if they want...but I doubt they take on the salary of CMC, Teddy and RA.

It stings, but doesn't cripple us. I think their offer would be:

4 draft picks instead of 3

DJ instead of Robby

Burns or Chinn instead of YGM

This is where the negotiating game will be critical and how much Tepper chimes in to get DW. Who will blink first....

Houston, who just lost their franchise WR and DE over the last year and now has a disgruntled QB that their fans know wants out, but the team is standing firm on. Carolina, who has shown their hand in being needy for a QB and has assets to offer.

That would be horrible imo. In rather give up more firsts than our two best offensive weapons. Realistically I would consider a tag and trade scenario dealing Samuel to them and a few firsts but we have to sign moton to do that. 

Guys on my 'if we have to trade a player' list in no order CMC, Shaq and Jackson. One is due a contract soon and I want no part of that. The other two are good players with contracts that were put together by an absolute POS GM.

After those three it gets tough and I am not excited at all about the thought of trading them. Burns is a beast but he doesn't seem to be the healthiest player, impossible to predict until it's a known issue. Brown is a beast but DT isn't the hardest position to find decent players. Chinn is a beast and I would take him off the board totally, we would need to find a clone (lol) or get 2 players to do what he does. 

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Guys on my 'if we have to trade a player' list in no order CMC, Shaq and Jackson. One is due a contract soon and I want no part of that. The other two are good players with contracts that were put together by an absolute POS GM.

After those three it gets tough and I am not excited at all about the thought of trading them. Burns is a beast but he doesn't seem to be the healthiest player, impossible to predict until it's a known issue. Brown is a beast but DT isn't the hardest position to find decent players. Chinn is a beast and I would take him off the board totally, we would need to find a clone (lol) or get 2 players to do what he does. 

Add Teddy to that but his value is probably lower than any of those guys listed. Teddy, CMC and Shaq are probably the three least tradeable players on the roster in terms of trade value. 

• Beer 2

31 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Add Teddy to that but his value is probably lower than any of those guys listed. Teddy, CMC and Shaq are probably the three least tradeable players on the roster in terms of trade value. 

Yup, just figured Teddy had no value to the Texans. Might have to give up draft capital to unload him, fug that.

Meh on the rest. The better the player the more the Texans will have to pay anyways, outside of Brown and Chinn who are going into the 2nd year, the rest would start asking for a new contract after a trade. If a team trades for you they either want you and will pay or your just filler to get it done. Teddy would be filler but the rest could be an upgrade for the Texans. 

I'm hoping for the draft anyways, Watson's price is just too damn high right now and the players I would like to see traded just don't have great value in this trade.