• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roster Holes and The Case For Trading Down/Accumulating Draft Picks

hepcat

13 hours ago, hepcat said:

Put Tom Brady on half the rosters in the NFL and those teams are sniffing the Super Bowl. 

Overall I agree signing Bridgewater was a huge mistake. They should have kept Kyle Allen in my opinion. He is pretty much the same caliber QB as Bridgewater. 

The most likely scenario the Panthers are facing is the top QB prospects will be gone by 8. So the options are trading up for a QB or free agency. And the options aren’t great there. 

To me, there are really way too many holes on the roster to make a big trade for a QB. The Stafford deal was reasonable, but I am pretty against mortgaging future seasons for any QB including Watson. If this team was playoff ready and stacked with talent, but was just limited by having Teddy at QB, this is a different conversation. But who could honestly say the Panthers roster is any better than Houston’s was in 2020? Watson could put up monster stats and the Panthers still lose a butt load of games because their roster is ass.

Bridgewater could win on a team that doesn’t need him to win every game in the 4th quarter. I think continuing to build the defense and letting CMC, Moore, and Anderson make big plays is a decent recipe if they can’t get a top rookie QB prospect.

Trade your talent and trade your picks...Watson isnt Jesus... Not worth it.

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Who cares if we're a "playoff team" if we're 1-and-done because we have no QB?

We could fill all those holes with Pro Bowlers and still not be legit Super Bowl contenders with Teddy Bridgewater at QB. Just look at the Bucs; 7-9 with the same core team in 2019, Super Bowl champs with Tom Brady.

Fill the hole at QB first. Otherwise, nothing else really matters.

Same core team on defense maybe but they also added Gronk, AB, Fournette along with Tom Brady

• Pie 2

Personally, I believe the Watson situation wont be resolved until after the draft.  Hes going to have to show that he is willing to sit out.  Once he does, his price tag will start decreasing.  Carolina needs to trade down and stock pile picks and add the players we need in this draft.  Possibly trade for watson later when hes cheaper and other teams have already solidified their QB position.

We have paid players like Teddy , CMC , and Shaq .  We live with those decisions and fired Hurney for that .  We now have to be smart and draft our future players and pay a fair price for future contracts . Adding CMC back this year will give us more wins and possibly put us in the playoffs .

Don't give up the farm on a QB from another team .  Draft well and our problems will be solved . With a better O-line Teddy will look a lot better .

Assuming we do not do anything stupid with our draft picks, I think the roster will be better.  The underlying assumption there is we have Moton back.

That said, that improvement in the roster may not translate to much in wins and losses.  IF the "big four" QBs are gone by the time #8 rolls around, and IF we are still at #8, there is a bigger likelihood we will find an OL who can step in and provide quality starts.  Contrary to popular opinion, I can assure everyone that the top 12-15 players in positions we need will not all be gone by the #8 pick.

Somebody said something earlier about it doing no good to make the playoffs and be "one and done" because we don't have a QB.  It doesn't do any good to make the playoffs and be "one and done" because we do have a QB but not enough else. 

We've done the QB with too little else (specifically on offense), now we need to try and get the happy median right.