• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Red Wings @ Hurricanes Game Thread 3/4

Harbingers

Following a weeklong, five-game road trip, the Carolina Hurricanes return home to begin welcoming fans back to PNC Arena when they host the Detroit Red Wings.

The Match-Up

Detroit Red Wings (7-15-3, 17 points) vs. Carolina Hurricanes (15-6-1, 31 points)

Thursday, March 4, 7 p.m.

Watch: FOX Sports Carolinas, FOX Sports GO

Listen: 99.9 FM The Fan, Hurricanes.com/Listen, Hurricanes app

Tracking the Storylines

Svech vs. Svech: It's finally time. For the first time in their NHL careers, the brothers Svechnikov are set to face off against one another. ACL surgery sidelined Evgeny for Andrei's rookie season in 2018-19. Evgeny then spent much of the 2019-20 season in the AHL, and though he logged four games with Detroit, he just missed a trip to Raleigh. The beginning of this season seemed promising, with the two teams facing off twice in Detroit, but Evgeny was left off the Red Wings' opening night roster. At long last, with Evgeny having tallied two points (1g, 1a) in his season debut on Feb. 27 and scoring another goal the next night, the showdown is set.

"Every day I go to sleep I start thinking about that. It's going to be so much fun if we play against each other. That's our dream," Andrei said in early January. "It's going to be lots of fun. Maybe I'll see him on the first shift and I'll try to hit him or do something, we'll see."

The Opposition

Last five games: 2-3-0, 4 points
On the road: 3-9-1, 7 points
CAR vs. DET: 1-1-0
Leading scorer: Bobby Ryan, 13 points (6g, 7a) in 24 games

This brief stop in Raleigh marks the end of a four-game road trip for the Red Wings, who have won just three of 13 games away from Detroit this season. The Wings began the trip with a 5-3 win in Chicago before dropping the rematch 7-2 and then falling 4-1 in Columbus.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/gameday-preview-detroit-red-wings-carolina-hurricanes/c-322061156

For the first time in over a calendar year, the Carolina Hurricanes will have fans back in PNC Arena.

It will be just 15% of the building's capacity - close to 3,000 fans to watch the Canes face off against the Red Wings - but even that is going to make a noticeable difference in game atmosphere compared to the artificial hum that's become commonplace in the last calendar year.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-amped-to-play-in-front-of-fans-at-pnc-arena/c-322082718

Forwards

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Niederreiter-Trocheck-Necas
McGinn-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Paquette-Foegele

Defensemen

Slavin-Hamilton
Fleury-Pesce
Skjei-Bean

Goalies

Nedeljkovic
Reimer

Scratch: Lorentz

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/projected-lineup-detroit-red-wings-carolina-hurricanes/c-322076780

Ned in net tonight, TT is back I kind of wish Rod would keep the Aho - Necas thing going though and let TT play with Trocheck for a while. First game with Fans! I wonder if we will see a storm surge tonight!!! It's going to be interesting to hear a little cane noise in the background for the first time too.

• Beer 1