• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This might explain a lot

Mr. Scot

24 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

Was there ever a man more interested in the bottom line?

53120292401014430421003476992_19ff7746ec

No.

Kind of like the guy who fill out his tax-returns from the bottom up...

...Jer' always solved for profits first -- wins were somewhere down there on the priority list.

• Beer 1

Just now, CashNewton22 said:

To be fair we did hit on most of our first round picks though so I guess he kinda got what he wanted.

And with our record being exactly 500 over the tenure of his ownership, it could also be said that he got exactly what he earned.

• Beer 3
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, onmyown said:

If it wasn’t JR it would’ve been another person.

Because the former 3 things (a local market and one willing to pay for a team) were there. 

JR was just the guy who was able to own it. Lucky for him. Unfortunate for the Carolinas.

Probably not. 

Charlotte getting an NFL team was not a formality and having the right person at the helm to lead the effort cannot be underestimated --- George Shinn filled the same role in bringing the Hornets to the CLT.

Luck is the byproduct of hard work.  Jer' earned his position as the designated owner...his partners were the ones who got lucky!

I've was never a fan of Jer' and got a big kick out of it when the PSL owners took out the full-page ad in The Disturber but there is nothing "unfortunate" about the Panthers or Jer's involvement as it goes to NC and SC.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean, if you're judging a GM by 1st round picks and that alone, Hurney was a GREAT GM. The issue is that Hurney is also Exhibit 1A in the case against 1st round picks being the end all be all of NFL GMing.

Like I said, it explains a lot.

Gantt said many times that as far as Richardson was concerned, Hurney was GM for life if he wanted to be. He would never have been fired if he hadn't basically volunteered to fall on the sword.

The fact that he was willing to work without a contract lent to that idea as well.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Probably not. 

Charlotte getting an NFL team was not a formality and having the right person at the helm to lead the effort cannot be underestimated --- George Shinn filled the same role in bringing the Hornets to the CLT.

Luck is the byproduct of hard work.  Jer' earned his position as the designated owner...his partners were the ones who got lucky!

I've was never a fan of Jer' and got a big kick out of it when the PSL owners took out the full-page ad in The Disturber but there is nothing "unfortunate" about the Panthers or Jer's involvement as it goes to NC and SC.

An NFL to the Carolinas had more probability to exist without JR than it did without PSL owners willing to build a stadium and tax payers willing to pay for a team, as well as what the NFL saw as an areas that would generate demand.

With that in mind, it was unfortunate an owner who cared more about business than winning was that person designated. I don’t think any owner ‘earned’ money from the locals to finance a team. I also don’t see it as some sort of ‘effort’.

It was simply a profitable business opportunity and without JR it would have just been someone else.

21 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Probably not. 

I have literally never seen anyone in my life so hell-bent on defending billionaires. Biggest internet financial cuck of all-time goes to this guy right here.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, onmyown said:

An NFL to the Carolinas had more probability to exist without JR than it did without PSL owners willing to build a stadium and tax payers willing to pay for a team, as well as what the NFL saw as an areas that would generate demand.

With that in mind, it was unfortunate an owner who cared more about business than winning was that person designated. I don’t think any owner ‘earned’ money from the locals to finance a team. I also don’t see it as some sort of ‘effort’.

It was simply a profitable business opportunity and without JR it would have just been someone else.

Without PSL's there would be no PSL owners.  Yeah that was Jer' and Max.

Jer' wasn't "designated" per se, I could have chosen better wording...he was the managing partner and only owner with > 30% so by definition assumes the control position.

Locals didn't "finance the team"...Jer' and his partners stepped up and wrote checks for $140M.

Jer' did see it as a business first, that's true.  Tepper is more along the lines of Mark Cuban where it's more like an expensive hobby...that's a good thing. 

4 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:
12 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Oh those big bad billionaires....they are all such meanies!

You dont accumulate that much wealth without being a douchebag. 

Got it, all billionaires are douchebags.

What are your issues with Warren Buffett?