• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moving on and moving up...QB.

Captain Morgan

31 minutes ago, Verge said:

You have to move up to three, no question about it, you must get ahead of Atlanta. Which also means you will likely have to outbid Atlanta for the #3 spot. 

You think Atlanta is wanting a QB? If I were them I would wait a few more years, but shouldn’t they just stay at 4 and take Lance or Fields?

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You think Atlanta is wanting a QB? If I were them I would wait a few more years, but shouldn’t they just stay at 4 and take Lance or Fields?

Falcons believe they won't have an opportunity to get a QB this high again, so they take one to sit behind Ryan for a year, and then trade Ryan to a team that needs a QB to make a run (similar to the Bucs this year).  They'll eat a bunch dead  cap, but they'll have their franchise QB, they'll get something in return for Ryan,  and they'll save a bunch of cap space.

"

by Tori McElhaney for The Athletic

The news of Matt Ryan’s contract restructure didn’t come out of deep left field on Tuesday, but it came out of the shallows. The Falcons were on the clock to clear more than $10 million in cap space. They did it in one fell swoop by restructuring Ryan, a head-turning decision as the Falcons were top contenders to draft a quarterback with the No. 4 pick.

The initial thought was Ryan’s restructure wiped out any hope of the Falcons drafting a QB. But as days have passed, the Falcons’ plans are becoming more and more apparent.

Matt Ryan’s restructure

It seems crazy to think the Falcons still would want a top-5 quarterback considering Ryan’s cap hit in 2022 and 2023 is over $40 million. Their top pick would have to sit a year, or two, or Ryan would be reduced to a backup (not likely at all), or traded sometime in 2022 (not outside the realm of possibility).

But Terry Fontenot believed his hands were tied with Ryan’s contract, with sources telling Jeff Schultz that the new general manager didn’t see a better solution to the salary cap problem he inherited.

So, don’t burn those mock drafts just yet, because the Falcons believe they should take a look at a QB in the draft, whether that’s at No. 4 or trading down (as will look at soon in our second Falcons mock draft). Either way, the Falcons are fully planning on drafting a quarterback in 2021."

Edited by Captain Morgan
  • Pie 1

That would be the dumbest thing ever to draft a qb at 4 and make him sit a full 2 years especially when your main problem is defense and you can have your choice of the top defensive player.

If I were a falcons fan I would lose my mind if that was what they did.

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 1

26 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Atlanta is not picking a qb.  The wild card is what the Jets do at 2

I’m assuming it’s Jags-Lawrence, Jets- Wilson, and then we try to trade with Miami for Fields at 3. If the Jets take Sewell at 2 then we can look at trading with the Bengals at 5 for Fields/Lance.

38 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I kind of don't, but if you are the Panthers you have to work on the idea that they do want a QB.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Verge said:

I kind of don't, but if you are the Panthers you have to work on the idea that they do want a QB.

Even if neither they nor Miami does, I imagine there's always the risk of someone trading with one (or hell, both) of them to move up and take QBs.

Personally hoping we trade up to 3 for Fields.

5 minutes ago, Verge said:

Not really IMO because it literally makes no sense for them to pick one seeing how they just redid ryans deal.  He is there for a solid 2 more years.  His cap hit makes it so and nobody is going to trade for him and his contract.

3 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Even if neither they nor Miami does, I imagine there's always the risk of someone trading with one (or hell, both) of them to move up and take QBs.

Personally hoping we trade up to 3 for Fields.

I would be shocked if someone doesn't trade to 3 for a QB.