• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bucky Brooks won't be sucked into Mac's meteoric rise

top dawg

29 minutes ago, Agent Blue said:

Someone needs to remind ol bucky that the most important traits for a QB are IQ and accuracy. 

Of which you could say Mac is tops in the draft. 

I don't know about that. Most QBs are accurate from clean pockets. Moreover, it hasn't been established that Mac has the highest football IQ of these guys, much less IQ in general. I know for sure that Lance read defenses and called his own plays. Fields ran somewhat advanced RPO concepts, and the golden boy was, well, the golden boy. So, hold your horses! 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I don't know about that. Most QBs are accurate from clean pockets. Moreover, it hasn't been established that Mac has the highest football IQ of these guys, much less IQ in general. I know for sure that Lance read defenses and called his own plays. Fields ran somewhat advanced RPO concepts, and the golden boy was, well, the golden boy. So, hold your horses! 

Bruh, Cam could be standing alone in nothing but undies and throw a ball over a dudes head lol 

Lance's coaches barely asked him to do anything. They only called passing plays for him a few times a game. 

Lance either took off and ran or throw the ball deep. Was not alot of mid range throws. 

Fields on the other hand, someone could make a case for. Not Lance.

1 hour ago, Agent Blue said:

Bruh, Cam could be standing alone in nothing but undies and throw a ball over a dudes head lol 

Lance's coaches barely asked him to do anything. They only called passing plays for him a few times a game. 

Lance either took off and ran or throw the ball deep. Was not alot of mid range throws. 

Fields on the other hand, someone could make a case for. Not Lance.

Lance has the strongest arm in this class, ran a pro-style offense, and indeed ran read defenses and called his own plays. So what if he ran a lot. He also had 190+ completions and threw for nearly 2800 yards on the way to a FCS championship at a very good D-1 school. He obviously did what it took to win, and did it successfully. Confusing didn't throw with can't throw isn't the way to evaluate a prospective franchise QB. Come on, man.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Lance has the strongest arm in this class, ran a pro-style offense, and indeed ran read defenses and called his own plays. So what if he ran a lot. He also had 190+ completions and threw for nearly 2800 yards on the way to a FCS championship at a very good D-1 school. He obviously did what it took to win, and did it successfully. Confusing didn't throw with can't throw isn't the way to evaluate a prospective franchise QB. Come on, man.

Where in my post did I say "can't throw"? 

Learn to read. 

Stats are there for all to see. 

He barely threw the ball much each game. 

Most of his plays were runs or throws deep. 

His competition was not good and he was on a stacked team for said division. 

He is risky AF to draft. 

Basically looks like a poor man's Cam Newton.

2 hours ago, Agent Blue said:

Where in my post did I say "can't throw"? 

Learn to read. 

Stats are there for all to see. 

He barely threw the ball much each game. 

Most of his plays were runs or throws deep. 

His competition was not good and he was on a stacked team for said division. 

He is risky AF to draft. 

Basically looks like a poor man's Cam Newton.

If you're saying he barely threw each game--which he averaged 174 YPG, which isn't necessarily a lot, but he threw 17 times per game on average--why do you keep saying it? What are you insinuating? And don't give some illogical answer! 

I can not only read, but read between the lines...

As far as your analysis, you have a right to your opinion--which is replete with the standard, if not simplistic, generalities--but I'd rather trust the guys that do this for a living. 

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If you're saying he barely threw each game--which he averaged 174 YPG, which isn't necessarily a lot, but he threw 17 times per game on average--why do you keep saying it? What are you insinuating? And don't give some illogical answer! 

I can not only read, but read between the lines...

As far as your analysis, you have a right to your opinion--which is replete with the standard, if not simplistic, generalities--but I'd rather trust the guys that do this for a living. 

I am stating facts. 

His coaches didn't rely on him slanging the ball around the field. 174 ypg is pretty paltry for a QB that is slated to go very high in the draft. 

Most his plays were runs and deep balls. Not much mid range stuff. 

Combine that with the competition and it will have many people raising eyebrows. 

This dude is a big boom or bust player. Many question marks. 

He could turn out to be awesome or find himself on the bench within 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Agent Blue said:

I am stating facts. 

His coaches didn't rely on him slanging the ball around the field. 174 ypg is pretty paltry for a QB that is slated to go very high in the draft. 

Most his plays were runs and deep balls. Not much mid range stuff. 

Combine that with the competition and it will have many people raising eyebrows. 

This dude is a big boom or bust player. Many question marks. 

He could turn out to be awesome or find himself on the bench within 2 years. 

His coaches relied on him to win, and that's exactly what he did!

He threw all kinds of passes, even mid-range ones. He can make every throw, and he's an able runner.

Level of competition is lower, but that goes both ways. 

Ask his coach if he's boom-or-bust? Without the proper coaching, they're all boom-or-bust prospects. Boom or bust is a generalized term that really means very little. And like any QB, Lance could turn out to be a flop or a legit NFL starter.

Most evaluators try to isolate the traits and project whether or not a guy has what it takes to succeed in the NFL. Depending upon those traits, they then assign a grade to the prospect. For most analysts of note--not all--Lance gets a first round grade! That's just what it is! 

If we get Let, I'll feel good about it. If we draft Fields, I'll feel good about it. But I'm under no illusions that either one is just going to hit the ground running. They're going to have to develop. And, like it or not--admit it or not--no one knows who will be the better QB after all is said and done (and that includes Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, and even Mac Jones, etc.). 

44 minutes ago, top dawg said:

His coaches relied on him to win, and that's exactly what he did!

He threw all kinds of passes, even mid-range ones. He can make every throw, and he's an able runner.

Level of competition is lower, but that goes both ways. 

Ask his coach if he's boom-or-bust? Without the proper coaching, they're all boom-or-bust prospects. Boom or bust is a generalized term that really means very little. And like any QB, Lance could turn out to be a flop or a legit NFL starter.

Most evaluators try to isolate the traits and project whether or not a guy has what it takes to succeed in the NFL. Depending upon those traits, they then assign a grade to the prospect. For most analysts of note--not all--Lance gets a first round grade! That's just what it is! 

If we get Let, I'll feel good about it. If we draft Fields, I'll feel good about it. But I'm under no illusions that either one is just going to hit the ground running. They're going to have to develop. And, like it or not--admit it or not--no one knows who will be the better QB after all is said and done (and that includes Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, and even Mac Jones, etc.). 

No QB is a sure thing. Good a chance as any that TW flops. 

It's just some players I feel more comfortable with than others. 

I feel much better about fields than lance. 

Justin Fields being judged unfairly leading up to 2021 NFL Draft (withthefirstpick.com)

Fields threw the least amount of RPOs and was the most accurate passer in the draft. (ball placement not simply compl %)