• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Sam Darnold

Memphis

My 2 cents.

The chances of us adding one of the top 5 rookie QBs was very slim.  Too many  teams in front of us were willing to trade down which meant we would have to give up high value picks to move up including next year's first.  Especially Atlanta who would either want all our picks until 2025 or intentionally trade down to ensure we lost one of these QBs.  Meaning 4 QBs off the board before any other position is selected.  That leaves Jones, Fields or Lance left depending on what SF does and still 4 spots to go.    I don't know the what Rhule and Co. thought of the draft picks but personally I wasn't overly excited about any of the picks outside of Lawrence and Wilson.  Intrigued yes, overly excited no. Had we selected any of them I would have trusted the management. 

Darnold has not had the best of starts in his career but he's talented and we basically have 2 years to figure him out.  2019 wasn't great for him but it wasn't garbage as many have stated.  Nearly 62% completions.  19 TDs 13 ints.   In his 2nd year with minimal talent around him.  We have CMC, DJ and Anderson to help.   We've added a couple of TEs that could help or maybe we draft Pitts.  I think once he nails a couple of deep passes to Moore and Anderson the hate will go away.  Plus he has some connections with Anderson.  

Draft capital value is diminished if it isn't for this year.   Basically making them wait a full year to get their money back.   So a 3rd or 4th this year is a 2nd next.  We get the opportunity to utilize our full draft picks.  I believe we have a 6th round compensation pick this year. 

I think the key to this trade will be how well we nail this draft.  If we hit on our top 4 like we did last year.  Our O-line should be better.  That's providing they stick to their plan on drafting offensive players especially Linemen.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1