• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are You Really Against Fields or Lance if they fall to #8...

SetfreexX

Hmmm...I'm not sure what to make of us skipping his 2nd Pro Day.  We were there in force at his first one.  So many things could be made of this.  We are not taking a QB, maybe we are, but Fields if there or smokescreen that we are no longer interested in Lance by skipping it (but really are).  The pre-draft mind games organizations play.

22 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Hmmm...I'm not sure what to make of us skipping his 2nd Pro Day.  We were there in force at his first one.  So many things could be made of this.  We are not taking a QB, maybe we are, but Fields if there or smokescreen that we are no longer interested in Lance by skipping it (but really are).  The pre-draft mind games organizations play.

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

They got to meet with Lance at the first one to learn about who the kid is.  With the offseason program starting today, I'm sure that played a factor into it as well. No need to send another contingent when you can watch the workout online and I'm sure they will.

17 hours ago, south-paw said:

I would use Fields/Lance as trade down bait, see if anyone wants to give up a fortune for one of the QB's.  I think we will be ok at QB with Darnold.  If they are able to trade Bridgewater I would sign low cost vet to push/backup Darnold.

If Fields is on the board I would expect primary trade offers from NE and perhaps Denver.   Could pick up some draft capital and still get a prime pick. Usually I believe trade downs are less likely but this year I can see the it playing out where it might be valuable to do so and still get a great pick.  I would be ok with taking fields, bpa or trading down.  One of the few times I feel pretty good about the draft going in which means I will likely be extremely disappointed when it’s all over. 

If Fields falls which I doubt take him, all the signs seem to point to him going at #3 to SF, some of the Mac Jones talk has cooled off. 

We'll know for sure what's what in 10 days. Quite honestly the roster is better now than when the season ended, the only key departure IMO is Curtis, who's role is the easiest to replace. Mike Davis played well, but so long as CMC is healthy it's not even close. 

QB (Fields / Lance) / OL (SeWell / Slater) / trade back for a top corner -- that is my line of thinking based on how the board may fall. If ATL cannot trade out of #4 I think they take Pitts, they have Matt locked in for two years, makes a lot of sense for them to add Pitts alongside Julio, and Ridley -- if that happens it's easily top 5 skill personnel. 

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

They got to meet with Lance at the first one to learn about who the kid is.  With the offseason program starting today, I'm sure that played a factor into it as well. No need to send another contingent when you can watch the workout online and I'm sure they will.

Source added that they're "not as high" on Lance.

This isn't the first time we've heard that suggested. More than one analyst has said they weren't all that big on more than the top two or three quarterbacks.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Source added that they're "not as high" on Lance.

This isn't the first time we've heard that suggested. More than one analyst has said they weren't all that big on more than the top two or three quarterbacks.

I know, but if we were, would we putting that out there?  Again, we are at the height of deception/misinformation season.  He may be our QB4, but if Lance is there, it's a hard pass?  I wouldn't bet on it.

Just now, 45catfan said:

I know, but if we were, would we putting that out there?  Again, we are at the height of deception/misinformation season.  He may be our QB4, but if Lance is there, it's a hard pass?  I wouldn't bet on it.

I know fans think everything that comes out is a smokescreen, but it's not really as common as people think.

I acknowledge it's possible, but I honestly wouldn't put money on the Panthers taking Lance.

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Lance is a bit of a project. We kind of have that in Darnold. Plus I’m not high on taking projects in the top 10. Don’t get me wrong, his potential is off the charts, but we kind of need to hit a home run on a top 10 pick.

Exactly. What if Sam can't be fixed? Back to square one and please don't use the crutch "we'll just draft one next year" argument.  Two reasons: We won't be in the position to draft one and it's a MUCH weaker class.  If we decide to pass on Lance or even Fields, it had better be with the thought in mind we have hitched our future to the Darnold wagon for better or worse.

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Exactly. What if Sam can't be fixed? Back to square one and please don't use the crutch "we'll just draft one next year" argument.  Two reasons: We won't be in the position to draft one and it's a MUCH weaker class.  If we decide to pass on Lance or even Fields, it had better be with the thought in mind we have hitched our future to the Darnold wagon for better or worse.

I don’t think we pass on Fields. If Lawrence, Wilson, Mac, and Fields are gone. I think we play it out with Darnold. I know everyone doesn’t agree with me, but I think he was our insurance plan. I also don’t think next year’s class is as bad as people think. We didn’t get a good look at some players because of COVID last year, but we still have Howell, Rattler, Daniels, Purdy, Slovis and I’m sure Alabama, Clemson, and OSU have new talented guys ready to step up.

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

They didn't like what they saw and don't want a massive project