• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Ohio State / Darnold QB Challenge

MHS831

14 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

I mean I agree Ohio State qbs have been horrible but what about USC qbs. Woah two colleges that don’t produce qbs that well.

I'd say USC qbs have a better track record than the OSU quarterbacks. 

I know Mark Sanchez sucked, but he did become to the only quarterback in nfl history to win 4 away playoff games in a row.... including against the Brady led Pats at Gillette. Also Carson Palmer was a good a qb. Dont forget Todd Marinovich!

Honorbale mentions:
Matt Cassel
Rob Johnson
Rodney Peete

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

Well, I am discrediting the pipeline, not the player---he was not on the list.  And during the draft, isnt that all we do?

Yeah but you even clarified by talking about not drafting him. Look if we have “our guy” who cares how other draft picks play? If Darnold is a great QB, then we got a young QB and a potential shutdown CB for our first, next year’s second and some change. That’s a win right? People looking over their shoulders at players we didn’t draft hoping/assuming they will bust isn’t a vote of confidence for our staff or Darnold. I get it though, I’m as concerned as the next person about passing on Fields, but like I keep saying hopefully Darnold does great and it doesn’t matter.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The point here is not to discredit Fields--I wanted him before we signed Darnold--I wanted a few of the rookie QBs .  But to act like an OHIO ST QB is the savior to turn around the program is like expecting Trevor Noah to say something unpredictably funny.

It is to show people a few things--1) An average QB in a good system can look great; 2) a good QB in a bad system can look bad.  Some have been crying about passing on Fields as if he is a sure fire pro bowler--where if that happens, it would certainly defy about 100 years of Buckeye tradition and trashing Darnold because he did not play well in a bad system with a bad coach. 

But then to defend the OSU qbs, I get, "Well there were many coaches and many systems..."  So they matter in college, but not in the NFL?

Just an interesting look at the draft--there was risk, but nobody can say that drafting Fields would have been better than trading for Darnold.  Risk on both sides.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh no I get it. You can basically do the same with Alabama outside of Tua (who is still a question mark). It’s better to have a young QB that might not be terrible versus one we know is terrible. 
If we our bad this year I hope Mitch doesn’t prevent us from drafting Howell. 

Well there was this guy from Alabama called Namath.  But he just got drunk and went around trying to kiss reporters on TV.  

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, t96 said:

Was there ever a Texas Tech QB who started in the NFL before Mahomes? None of the other Ohio State QBs have anything to do with Fields. 

well there has been 10 QBs drafted out of Texas Tech.... 1 of them became an All Pro and an above average quarterback. This is a 10% success rate. 100% first round success rate.

There has been 23 quarterbacks drafted out of  Ohio State... None of them became an average quarterback. 3 taken top 10, and 8 taken in the first 3 rounds. That's a 0% success rate.

if bear = Texas Tech & Battlestar Galactica = Ohio State then:

Bear beats Battlestar Galactica. (i know the original quote)

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

33 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I'd say USC qbs have a better track record than the OSU quarterbacks. 

I know Mark Sanchez sucked, but he did become to the only quarterback in nfl history to win 4 away playoff games in a row.... including against the Brady led Pats at Gillette. Also Carson Palmer was a good a qb. Dont forget Todd Marinovich!

Honorbale mentions:
Matt Cassel
Rob Johnson
Rodney Peete

If Mark Sanchez is towards the top of that list it isn’t a very good list. Have USC QBs been better as a whole? Sure. The whole point is you have to look at each player individually. Not many of these OSU QBs were expected to be good or drafted that high. Pryor changed positions along with a few others. Haskins is the one who was drafted high and appears to have issues, but they are mostly mental. 
Good thing we still drafted a FSU DE after we had Everette Brown bust! Always evaluate the player, not the school’s history.  

• Beer 1

40 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Just an interesting look at the draft--there was risk, but nobody can say that drafting Fields would have been better than trading for Darnold.  Risk on both sides.

Everything is a risk.  I'd just argue they are different risks.  Justin Fields doesn't have 3 years of disappointing play as  NFL QB to his name though.  So the risks feel different. 

Fields and Lawrence to date, IMO, have uniquely stood out given the expectations/pressure on their shoulders coming into college....and actually delivering as advertised with it.