• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Understanding the personnel Moves: The Panther's Wide Zone Blocking Scheme

MHS831

46 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

Dom Capers brought the zone blitz to Carolina from Pittsburgh. It was a thing of beauty to watch.

Norwell also made it down field quite often.

How is it possible that the Huddle has forgotten the chop blocking the Falcons were famous for?

Very true.

And yeah, I remember.

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, the Super Bowl adjustment was probably more Henning than Fox.

i'm just amazed that fox allowed that t happen, but then fox was a different coach after the superbowl.

leading up to it, he was everything you wanted to see in a coach. after achieving success so early i think everything was about repeating the formula that got him to that game with as much of the same personnel  or type of personnel as possible. 

where he used to adapt, he turned into "well it worked before, it should keep on working."

that's why henning didn't fit anymore with him and why trgovac did. henning was constantly creative...which means unpredictable. fox just wanted to focus on 'run the ball, stop the run'. 

• Beer 4

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i'm just amazed that fox allowed that t happen, but then fox was a different coach after the superbowl.

leading up to it, he was everything you wanted to see in a coach. after achieving success so early i think everything was about repeating the formula that got him to that game with as much of the same personnel  or type of personnel as possible. 

where he used to adapt, he turned into "well it worked before, it should keep on working."

that's why henning didn't fit anymore with him and why trgovac did. henning was constantly creative...which means unpredictable. fox just wanted to focus on 'run the ball, stop the run'. 

Good points.

We gave Henning a lot of hell back then but I think we see now that he was legitimately one of the best OCs we had.

Fox was the problem.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 4

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Good points.

We gave Henning a lot of hell back then but he was legitimately one of the best OCs we had.

Fox was the problem.

Every coach or coordinator eventually gets hell from the fans. It's just the way it is when you aren't winning Super Bowls all the time. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Good points.

We gave Henning a lot of hell back then but I think we see now that he was legitimately one of the best OCs we had.

Fox was the problem.

i didn't realize how good we had it until we turned the offense over to an OL coach.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Every coach or coordinator eventually gets hell from the fans. It's just the way it is when you aren't winning Super Bowls all the time. 

If Rhule doesn't win the Super Bowl this year he needs to be on the hot seat!!! 😠

Yeah...like that 😕

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If Rhule doesn't win the Super Bowl this year he needs to be on the hot seat!!! 😠

Yeah...like that 😕

I think Rhule's threshold for getting hell is gonna be a lot lower than that. We haven't had a winning season in almost four years, so that needs to get remedied first.

I don't think even the most ardent Panthers fan genuinely sees a Super Bowl in the near future. We are quite a few years from being in that discussion again.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 1

I will tell you what I seem to observe in Rhule--he is very smart about people--not just motivation--he knows how to communicate with someone in a manner that makes them feel significant and important--He is often tired, and very patient.   I would say the opposite of Bill Blechick, he is not condescending.  We all want respect, we all want to be valued.  When you are respected and valued, you perform at a higher level.  Whether this is from being the son of a preacher or his education psychology courses, he gets it. 

To Rhule, the term "fit" means more than skill set/system.  It means as a person, how well will you fit into the culture.  Your attitude, work ethic, dispositions, and ability to collaborate.  It is not about finding the best players but it is about getting the most out of the players he has. 

Rhule is very smart---so much smarter than Rivera or Fox--we are seeing a psychologist at work--a master motivator.  I do not know if he knows less about football than his assistants, but he knows enough to let them do their jobs. 

I see the chemistry between Rhule and Dave Moore, the G from Grambling.  The Senior Bowl experience may have won that prize.  It is also how he got to know a few more players we drafted--and a few we didn't.  Rhule is a people person, and it will pay off.

• Pie 8

On 5/21/2021 at 11:42 AM, Mr. Scot said:

Had a feeling that was the old Alex Gibbs style.

(man, that guy is a piece of sh-t)

Super effective scheme for running the ball though. Shanahan regularly had average backs be thousand yard rushers using it in Denver.

The thing I cant find info on---do they revert back to a power scheme in goal line or fourth and 1? Splits are so tight, this may be obvious.  Do they simple rule block (head up, inside, LB...)

18 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The thing I cant find info on---do they revert back to a power scheme in goal line or fourth and 1? Splits are so tight, this may be obvious.  Do they simple rule block (head up, inside, LB...)

Not that I know of, but I won't claim to have researched it.

23 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I will tell you what I seem to observe in Rhule--he is very smart about people--not just motivation--he knows how to communicate with someone in a manner that makes them feel significant and important--He is often tired, and very patient.   I would say the opposite of Bill Blechick, he is not condescending.  We all want respect, we all want to be valued.  When you are respected and valued, you perform at a higher level.  Whether this is from being the son of a preacher or his education psychology courses, he gets it. 

To Rhule, the term "fit" means more than skill set/system.  It means as a person, how well will you fit into the culture.  Your attitude, work ethic, dispositions, and ability to collaborate.  It is not about finding the best players but it is about getting the most out of the players he has. 

Rhule is very smart---so much smarter than Rivera or Fox--we are seeing a psychologist at work--a master motivator.  I do not know if he knows less about football than his assistants, but he knows enough to let them do their jobs. 

I see the chemistry between Rhule and Dave Moore, the G from Grambling.  The Senior Bowl experience may have won that prize.  It is also how he got to know a few more players we drafted--and a few we didn't.  Rhule is a people person, and it will pay off.

Agree with all of this.

Rhule isn't the Xs and Os genius, but head coaches don't have to be if they have coordinators who are.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

i didn't realize how good we had it until we turned the offense over to an OL coach.

You know you loved Jeff Davidson's amazing scheme of run-run-pass-punt.

Unless the run was actually working like in the 2008 playoffs, then you completely abandon it.

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

a belief i have always had...a good leader makes people want to follow because of the way they are treated and valued. people will give you their best if they believe you believe and are invested in them. 

good leaders will also allow leaders under them to bring their best assets to the table and give them the freedom to use what they bring to the table without mandating how it's used. 

i see all of that in rhule.

• Pie 3