• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron "learning from his mistakes" in Carolina

ladypanther

Just now, SBBlue said:

I used to be there...but as I look back, the switch to soft coverages with the lead, the fall off in production after Mcdermott left.... him fiddling with the formation that last season... indicates even he wasn't sure what to do anymore.  

Talent driven league. 

McD got fired and looked bad in Philly....not because he couldn't coach but because the Eagles lost their defensive talent. 

Carolina had the #7 ranked D after McD left and his D was ranked 27th his first year Buffalo.   Then after that, Carolina lost DL talent at Buffalo added it. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Talent driven league. 

McD got fired and looked bad in Philly....not because he couldn't coach but because the Eagles lost their defensive talent. 

Carolina had the #7 ranked D after McD left and his D was ranked 27th his first year Buffalo.   Then after that, Carolina lost DL talent at Buffalo added it. 

and the soft coverages....fiddling with formations?

33 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I had great hope when they said he was taking over the defense the last couple seasons....and it got worse.  

Looking back... 2015 was due to Mcdermott, Cam, SOS and a little bit of luck.

Likely also an example of Ron's loyalty hurting his results.

Eric Washington wasn't ready, but rather than move on, he tried to cover for him.

• Pie 3

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

Talent driven league. 

Just curious where the  7th rank in defense in 2016 came from.  We allowed 25.1 points a game and 359 yards a game, both in the bottom half of the league.  What measure did they use...age?  

28 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Likely also an example of Ron's loyalty hurting his results.

Eric Washington wasn't ready, but rather than move on, he tried to cover for him.

Ron was a good to great DC in Chicago and San Diego.  Of course, that was a decade ago, and his middle name is not Adaptable, so who knows how he would do anymore?  But it is hard for me to think he would be awful in that role today. 

His Achilles heel here was soft zone coverage, but that may have been dictate more by personnel than preference.  We did adapt the one year we had a guy who played the role of a shutdown corner (Norman in 2015). 

I agree with CRA that DL play also contributes to that.  Any team that can sack, pressure, or disrupt the timing of a QB using 4 rushers is going to be able to cover a lot of sins in the secondary.  We watched the Giants get inside Brady's head twice in Superb Owls and the Bucs disrupt Mahomes in the last one by being able to do that consistently.

Then there is his other asset of excessive loyalty.  Washington was 6+ feet of man standing in 12+ feet of water as the DC.  Not wanting to cut the legs out from under the guy is admirable, but at some point it was obvious he was not going to come up for air.  Half a season later, Ron figured that out.

4 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Apparently he’s still making mistakes. Starting Haskins over Heinicke. 

That stench may have been him, or it may have been "hepp" from the owner, or Rivera's passive-aggressive way of shutting the owner up about Haskins. 

We have a buffoon move and both a head coach and an owner very capable of executing/directing a buffoon move. 

It does fit Danny Boy's M.O., though.  I've said elsewhere, Danny Boy likes to mouth the words he is giving somebody total control, but then quietly undermine them by flexing his extensive football knowledge.  The guy is a master at screwing things up without leaving his fingerprints on the wreckage, so who knows? 

26 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I think there is something to that ,Andy Reid having not getting his ring until his 2nd QB after being the HC 6 years. 

I still think that the HC more often than not is the issue, but the HC/QB is something to really pay attention to.

Just because an HC is winning a lot, and just because the HC/QB tandem might be doing well, doesn't mean it's the best for getting a ring.

Just because they might have the best winning record the 5ean has ever had doesn't mean that it will be their best chance for a ring.

It's a tough call, but if after 5 years you don't have a ring with the HC you've got it's time to re-evaluate, not give them another contract.

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I think there is something to that ,Andy Reid having not getting his ring until his 2nd QB after being the HC 6 years. 

I still think that the HC more often than not is the issue, but the HC/QB is something to really pay attention to.

Just because an HC is winning a lot, and just because the HC/QB tandem might be doing well, doesn't mean it's the best for getting a ring.

Just because they might have the best winning record the 5ean has ever had doesn't mean that it will be their best chance for a ring.

It's a tough call, but if after 5 years you don't have a ring with the HC you've got it's time to re-evaluate, not give them another contract.

You definitely have to re-evaluate the HC after 5 years. Keeping him depends on the circumstances (was there a rebuild, what has the qb situation been, drafting outcomes, etc).

Ron was one of those borderline guys. He did great things, but no back to back wining seasons was a huge red flag after year 5. Especially with the rosters he had.

I think Rhule will get 7 years. 

4 minutes ago, Tbe said:

You definitely have to re-evaluate the HC after 5 years. Keeping him depends on the circumstances (was there a rebuild, what has the qb situation been, drafting outcomes, etc).

Ron was one of those borderline guys. He did great things, but no back to back wining seasons was a huge red flag after year 5. Especially with the rosters he had.

I think Rhule will get 7 years. 

With Cam and Rivera, we should have kept Cam and replaced Rivera. But with the ownership  and GM situation as it was, we probably would have wound up in the same place we were before.