• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold's "Style of Ball"

16 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I agree he was a high upside low downside QB. I think the biggest reason people arer upset are for 2 things that are not his fault. 

1. He was the QB following Cam. 

2. He got paid more than what people felt he should have. 

The team threw a dart on him and it didn't work. Its the same situation we are in this year with Darnold. Taking flyers on high upside QB's is always worth it. 

Yeah, if he was on a $5 mil deal I wouldn't even have been upset at all about the signing. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That is pretty much the reason that a portion of us are down on him in general. He didn't show much improvement from college to the NFL, nor did he during his time in the NFL. Eventually, that becomes the player and not the place.

Those doubts are very valid.

I doubt that you care if you end up being wrong.  To concerned about beating a dead horse, to be positive about anything. 

You are getting to the point where I include you in the people on this board that never have anything to say that is worth reading. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, if he was on a $5 mil deal I wouldn't even have been upset at all about the signing. 

Yeah for sure. If we paid him what he was worth rather than what we thought he could magically become... things might've been different. Maybe not majorly different. But the fanbase likely wouldn't have been as mad.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

He just has to prove “his game” wins the games that are on the line....he has the weapons now, doesn’t have to take those boneheaded desperation shots to WRs that are not capable of going up and bringing in contested shot.

His flaws are free game right now, till, or if, he can turn his performance from that nightmare franchise he was previously with.

I will be interested to see if he ends up being the polar opposite of Teddy. Teddy consistently took the easy and open receiver, regardless of the scenario. I am curious to see if Darnold passes on easy options and tries to bomb it, regardless of how ill advised that decision may be.

As good as our WR corps appears to be, they aren't going to consistently win jump balls. 

Oh lawd, it's last off-season all over again. Any suggestion that our new QB who has historically been bad may not necessarily dramatically improve in the nirvana that is the Carolina Panthers under world leading guru Joe Brady is utter nonsense. I see that last year's results in that arena didn't sway any convictions. A.k.a some people are delusional.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I doubt that you care if you end up being wrong.  To concerned about beating a dead horse, to be positive about anything. 

You are getting to the point where I include you in the people on this board that never have anything to say that is worth reading. 

I never really considered anything you have posted worthwhile, so that doesn't really impact me in any way.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am curious to see if Darnold passes on easy options and tries to bomb it, regardless of how ill advised that decision may be.

While it would be infuriating, at least it wouldn't be boring. I'd rather lose failing spectacularly than lose being too scared to give ourselves a chance.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh lawd, it's last off-season all over again. Any suggestion that our new QB who has historically been bad may not necessarily dramatically improve in the nirvana that is the Carolina Panthers under world leading guru Joe Brady is utter nonsense. I see that last year's results in that arena didn't sway any convictions. A.k.a some people are delusional.

If I cared(and I for sure don't) I am sure re-reading offseason 2020 posts about Teddy are pretty entertaining now.

I love these dopes that can't take any adult discussion that is even slightly critical. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

While it would be infuriating, at least it wouldn't be boring. I'd rather lose failing spectacularly than lose being too scared to give ourselves a chance.

I agree with that. Gunslingers are fun to watch when they are on. But those Favre/Winston boneheaded throws are absolutely maddening.

It's the blessing and the curse of that playing style. In that regard, I do kind of understand his point about not changing what he does. 

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Darnold’s style of play is backyard football. Which is fine if you can still play within the system when need be. But notice rhule saying they wanted Darnold to not be static like he apparently was in New York. 

That's really the big issue, whether he can fit within this system. Teddy actually ran Brady's offense very well. If we could have sprinkled a little Darnold/Jake backyard play into him, we probably aren't having any discussion of who our QB is. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If I cared(and I for sure don't) I am sure re-reading offseason 2020 posts about Teddy are pretty entertaining now.

I love these dopes that can't take any adult discussion that is even slightly critical. 

Your not wrong about this being basically the same as last season in terms of trying to salvage a broken QB. Its boom or bust and we busted last season. 

I get frustrated with people that post here that are overly critical... its the friggen offseason in Pandemic Season 2 here.. lets try to look at the upside... 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Assuming that he can't improve in a new situation with better coaching and support is kind of short-sighted too though.

You don't know that.

• Pie 2