• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much of the Jets performance was really on Darnold?

SBBlue

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

Thats what I was saying. I don't think he is a Hof'er but it would be nice if he proved me wrong. 

For sure. It would be great if he ends up being the exception and not the norm. But for this season all he has to do is look good. Next season playoff win.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Call Me James said:

You can hope Darnold turns it around with using outliers like Brees and Young as your goto examples. 

A question was asked for any examples...he answered it.  Read the thread.

9 hours ago, Call Me James said:

Do you overreact with everything? 

Crawl back under your bridge troll.

tenor.gif?itemid=4765403

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Because he didn't play.

You are correct....staved off an 0'fer.

I too hope he can put it together and have no interest in playing an "I told you so" card...

...I'm simply trying to understand the precedent/logic behind the overwhelming cockeyed optimism.

So far the logic seems to hinge on: 

1. Was a #3 pick.  2.  Jets suck.  3.  Sam can "sling it".

As for the precedent, doesn't seem to exist.

Precedent, that a qb sucked for  a few years in the nfl and turned his career around?  There's a bunch.

Your turn.  Show me a qb, top 3 pick,  who started day 1,  with an Oline with the highest pressure rate, with receivers with the dropsies,  with horrific coaching,  no run game, was traded, and then DIDN'T turn his career around.

Surely there's a precedent.  

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

Precedent, that a qb sucked for  a few years in the nfl and turned his career around?  There's a bunch.

Your turn.  Show me a qb, top 3 pick,  who started day 1,  with an Oline with the highest pressure rate, with receivers with the dropsies,  with horrific coaching,  no run game, was traded, and then DIDN'T turn his career around.

David Carr. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

Sure thing...all #3 picks just like Sam.

Blake Bortles (#3 in 2014) -- after JAX went to LA in 2019 and played a handful of snaps (threw 2 passes) in mop-up duty in 3 games.  Out of the league in 2020.  Appears to have signed a 1-year deal with the Packers going into 2021.  24-49 career record as a starter.

Joey Harrington (#3 in 2002) -- played out rookie year in DET, was 21-37 as a starter.  Following 2 seasons started 21 games in MIA and ATL and went 8-13.  26-50 overall as a starter, career was 6-years.

Akili Smith (#3 in 1999) -- 3-14 as a starter in CIN, never made it to another team after rookie deal.

Heath Schuler (#3 in 1994) -- 4-9 as a starter for the Redskins.  Interestingly, after 3-seasons he cast aside and traded to NOR where he went 4-5 as a starter.  Out of the league after 4-seasons.

The Opposite:

Matt Ryan (#3 in 2008) -- Matt inherited a team that had gone 4-12 & 7-9 in 2007 & 2006 respectively.  Opened his career with an 11-5 record thereby locking up Offensive Rookie of the Year.  Followed that up with 4 more winning seasons (5 consecutive) and as a starter was 56-22 (reg. season) in that time frame.      

14 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Sure thing...all #3 picks just like Sam.

Blake Bortles (#3 in 2014) -- after JAX went to LA in 2019 and played a handful of snaps (threw 2 passes) in mop-up duty in 3 games.  Out of the league in 2020.  Appears to have signed a 1-year deal with the Packers going into 2021.  24-49 career record as a starter.

Joey Harrington (#3 in 2002) -- played out rookie year in DET, was 21-37 as a starter.  Following 2 seasons started 21 games in MIA and ATL and went 8-13.  26-50 overall as a starter, career was 6-years.

Akili Smith (#3 in 1999) -- 3-14 as a starter in CIN, never made it to another team after rookie deal.

(#3 in 1994) -- 4-9 as a starter for the Redskins.  Interestingly, after 3-seasons he cast aside and traded to NOR where he went 4-5 as a starter.  Out of the league after 4-seasons.

The Opposite:

Matt Ryan (#3 in 2008) -- Matt inherited a team that had gone 4-12 & 7-9 in 2007 & 2006 respectively.  Opened his career with an 11-5 record thereby locking up Offensive Rookie of the Year.  Followed that up with 4 more winning seasons (5 consecutive) and as a starter was 56-22 (reg. season) in that time frame.      

I expected more from you, with all of your precision.

Bortles was 5 year with the Jax.

Joey Harrington was 4 years with Det.

Akili Smith was never traded or played anywhere else.

Heath Schuler didn't make it to 3 years and Joe Gibbs was a HOF football coach BTW.

You suck at your own game.

Edited by SBBlue

2 hours ago, SBBlue said:

I expected more from you, with all of your precision.

Bortles was 5 year with the Jax.

Joey Harrington was 4 years with Det.

Akili Smith was never traded or played anywhere else.

Heath Schuler didn't make it to 3 years and Joe Gibbs was a HOF football coach BTW.

All were #3 picks who started year-1 on bad teams "with receivers with the dropsies,  with horrific coaching,  no run game"...

...and all of them...

..."then DIDN'T turn his career around".

Just now, SizzleBuzz said:

All were #3 picks who started year-1 on bad teams "with receivers with the dropsies,  with horrific coaching,  no run game"...

...and all of them...

..."then DIDN'T turn his career around".

ah ah ah...you are dropping criteria....it was exactly 3 years.... must be the same...critical piece to get a valid comparison and all....

Try again.

I thought you might get in the ball park, but this is just sad.

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

ah ah ah...you are dropping criteria....it was exactly 3 years.... must be the same...critical piece to get a valid comparison and all....

Try again.

I thought you might get in the ball park, but this is just sad.

Despite your consternation, all are legit comps.

Which QB's do you suggest offer a proper comp/precedent?

1 minute ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Despite your consternation, all are legit comps.

No, they're not.  Must meet all the criteria, or doesn't count.

Which QB's do you suggest offer a proper comp/precedent?

No, I'm not going to look them up for you.  Google is a wonderful tool.  Take your time.  We'll wait.