• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Urban Meyer receives first NFL discipline before even coaching a game

ladypanther

On 7/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, TheSpecialJuan said:

Jacksonville Jaguars coach Urban Meyer defended the hiring of a former Iowa assistant accused of racism, saying Thursday he “vetted him thoroughly along with our general manager and owner.”

Iowa agreed to pay strength coach Chris Doyle $1.1 million in a resignation agreement last June after more than a dozen former players said he bullied and discriminated against them. Doyle denied the allegations. An investigation by an outside law firm later found that the program’s rules “perpetuated racial and culture biases and diminished the value of cultural diversity,” and allowed coaches to demean players without consequence.

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-brian-schottenheimer-jacksonville-jaguars-football-florida-eeec5c98e7cdf8222391e696115ca0dd

Nevermind that Doyle stepped on players fingers during workouts and caused 13 of them to be hospitalized with Rhabdomyolysis.   The focus is on him being a racist douchebag.   

I don't think any coach that does the former deserves to coach ANYWHERE even if he wasn't a racist douchebag.     

Just saying....

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

On 7/2/2021 at 4:04 PM, panthers55 said:

My statement included rookie qbs in their second year with the same coach.  It just isn't happening. 

Kap was in his 2nd year in Harbaugh's 2nd year.  Nick Foles was in his 2nd year in Chip Kelly's 1st year (when they went to the playoffs).

22 hours ago, Wes21 said:

Kap was in his 2nd year in Harbaugh's 2nd year.  Nick Foles was in his 2nd year in Chip Kelly's 1st year (when they went to the playoffs).

Alex Smith was the starter in 2011 and 2012. Kaepernick only played a few snaps until week 12 and the team was 8-2-1 at that point. So you can't give Kaepernick as much credit at Smith for 2012.  

The same with the Eagles. Michael Vick was the starter for the first 6 games until injury and Foles took over. So yeah Foles gets credit for sure but he wasn't the starter all year.

My point was no rookie coach has gone to the playoffs in their first 2 years except Harbaugh and Kelly. And none of those coaches went to the playoffs with a rookie which is my point about Lawrence taking Jacksonville there under Meyers. For those who say that Lawrence won't be a rookie his second year. Kelly failed to make the playoffs after that year so was it a fluke? Foles was a big part of getting there his second year but what happened the following year? Would Lawrence be better able to take his team to the playoffs if he could sit and learn instead of being thrust into immediate duty? Both Foles and Kaepernick had that opportunity to do that.  I wonder if the fact no rookie coach in their first 2 years went to the playoffs with a rookie quarterback played into why Rhule went with Darnold over Fields.  He wants to win now not down the road.

Edited by panthers55

On 7/2/2021 at 10:15 AM, ladypanther said:

By History do you mean multiple time National Champion and Coach of the Year? Now that paying players is fair game in college football, Urban would be fine, as he likely always has been. The big time schools have been paying recruits forever; some are just smarter than others and the NCAA tends to ignore certain...cough Saban...cough..Meyer...cough... Tressel...programs.

11 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Alex Smith was the starter in 2011 and 2012. Kaepernick only played a few snaps until week 12 and the team was 8-2-1 at that point. So you can't give Kaepernick as much credit at Smith for 2012.  

The same with the Eagles. Michael Vick was the starter for the first 6 games until injury and Foles took over. So yeah Foles gets credit for sure but he wasn't the starter all year.

My point was no rookie coach has gone to the playoffs in their first 2 years except Harbaugh and Kelly. And none of those coaches went to the playoffs with a rookie which is my point about Lawrence taking Jacksonville there under Meyers. For those who say that Lawrence won't be a rookie his second year. Kelly failed to make the playoffs after that year so was it a fluke? Foles was a big part of getting there his second year but what happened the following year? Would Lawrence be better able to take his team to the playoffs if he could sit and learn instead of being thrust into immediate duty? Both Foles and Kaepernick had that opportunity to do that.  I wonder if the fact no rookie coach in their first 2 years went to the playoffs with a rookie quarterback played into why Rhule went with Darnold over Fields.  He wants to win now not down the road.

So basically you are saying that as long as Minshew starts the season, there's no possible way to credit Lawrence regardless.  You have shoe horned yourself into a self fulfilling prophecy that's impossible to break.  You just keep applying more and more things to the equation.  "Well did Lawrence get there the next year?  Was Lawrence really the sole reason for those wins?  He got hurt for 3 weeks so he technically didn't start the entire season did he?"

I M Out GIF by memecandy

13 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I wonder if the fact no rookie coach in their first 2 years went to the playoffs with a rookie quarterback played into why Rhule went with Darnold over Fields.  He wants to win now not down the road.

Matt Ryan/Mike Smith made the playoffs both as rookie QB/HC.  

We went to the NFCCG with a rookie HC in his 2nd year...with a 2nd year QB. 

As far as why Rhule does what he does?  I think there could be a conversation about how he was successful in college.  And the impact that could be having as he goes about things in the NFL.  While he got some Dabo type comparison for motivation and building a program......Rhule's teams in college weren't successful because he had great QB play.  A Dabo type probably would come into the NFL and insist on Trevor/Fields/etc because his success was always tied to QB being the most important piece to his success. 

On 7/2/2021 at 2:36 PM, panthers55 said:

Of all the college coaches who moved from college to the NFL, only 2 have made the playoffs within 2 years. Chip Kelly and Jim Harbaugh. None did it with a rookie QB. So if Meyers takes them to the playoffs with Lawrence within 2 years it will be a first in the NFL. In other words it ain't happening.

Butch Davis also did it.  And he did it at Cleveland, which should count twice. 

• Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Butch Davis also did it.  And he did it at Cleveland, which should count twice. 

I remember that year.  Kelly Holcomb started 2 games and set the world on fire with like 400 yards and 4 TDs in each game (or something like that).  It started a big QB controversy with Tim Couch.

ok, correction to my earlier post.  That specific post I responded to didn't have the qualifier of no straight from college rookie HC has won with a rookie QB right away. I just named a rookie HC that won with a rookie.  But he didn't come from college. 

I would say that it is such a nitpicky stat....that it probably loses a lot of it's weight and meaning though.   Game is changing.  QBs now play earlier and are better early.  College schemes are coming into the NFL.  And there are just so few examples to compare against of college HCs coming straight into the NFL like Rhule and pairing up with a rookie for it to have that much weight as a stat. 

On 7/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, CRA said:

ok, correction to my earlier post.  That specific post I responded to didn't have the qualifier of no straight from college rookie HC has won with a rookie QB right away. I just named a rookie HC that won with a rookie.  But he didn't come from college. 

I would say that it is such a nitpicky stat....that it probably loses a lot of it's weight and meaning though.   Game is changing.  QBs now play earlier and are better early.  College schemes are coming into the NFL.  And there are just so few examples to compare against of college HCs coming straight into the NFL like Rhule and pairing up with a rookie for it to have that much weight as a stat. 

It is the situation in Jacksonville and urban Meyer. I simply said there was no way that Meyers was going to the playoffs this year with Lawtence as QB. You guys are the ones trying to shoot holes in it and find exceptions. There aren't any. So if  Urban goes to the playoffs with a rookie QB it will be a first time a rookie NFL coach in his first year as a head coach did it.  Nitpick or not that is why Lawrence isn't going to the playoffs this year at least.

19 hours ago, panthers55 said:

It is the situation in Jacksonville and urban Meyer. I simply said there was no way that Meyers was going to the playoffs this year with Lawtence as QB. You guys are the ones trying to shoot holes in it and find exceptions. There aren't any. So if  Urban goes to the playoffs with a rookie QB it will be a first time a rookie NFL coach in his first year as a head coach did it.  Nitpick or not that is why Lawrence isn't going to the playoffs this year at least.

Well, I mean Trevor and Urban are both in Jacksonville because the Jags have sucked.  So yeah, they aren’t making the playoffs this year because of a talent issue. 

And I think Urban will suck as a NFL HC. 

just seems situational is all.  Rookie HC and Trevor landed both on a roster like Tampa?  I wouldn’t care if it never happened before.  I’d give them decent odds. 

3 hours ago, CRA said:

Well, I mean Trevor and Urban are both in Jacksonville because the Jags have sucked.  So yeah, they aren’t making the playoffs this year because of a talent issue. 

And I think Urban will suck as a NFL HC. 

just seems situational is all.  Rookie HC and Trevor landed both on a roster like Tampa?  I wouldn’t care if it never happened before.  I’d give them decent odds. 

As you say most times guys coming to the NFL as rookie college coaches aren't going to talented clubs and if they are starting a rookie likely picking higher in the draft. Not a  formula for quick success. Honestly I am not a Meyers fan at all 

. Then again I think Lawrence benefitted greatly from superior talent around him. I wonder how he will do when the other side is more talented than his.