• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

5 Carolina Panthers players facing an uphill battle at training camp

SBBlue

30 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I'd honestly forgotten about Brown. Thanks for the reminder.

That particular pick was a bit of a head scratcher for me. We'd mainly been focusing on versatility and movement skills with our OL moves prior to that, then we picked a guy who plummeted down the board specifically because he lacked movent skills. In a phone booth, I'd pick Brown over just about anyone in the NFL, but the modern day game is rapidly moving toward spread style offenses that largely negate that style of play. Hence why he was available at that point in the draft.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I believe the quote(couldn't find it to verify) was that he believed in taking a QB every DRAFT. If that is not what he said, my comment is obviously incorrect.

If Mills and/or Mond had still been available in the early 3rd where we drafted Christensen that would've been interesting. I had both pegged as potential 3rd round targets and they both came off the board in the picks leading up to ours.

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I believe the quote(couldn't find it to verify)

Here ya go

“We’re never satisfied with our roster. We’re going to always look. I know you’re talking about the quarterback position, that’s something I believe in drafting every year or acquiring at some point, just philosophically.”

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Luciu5 said:

Here ya go

“We’re never satisfied with our roster. We’re going to always look. I know you’re talking about the quarterback position, that’s something I believe in drafting every year or acquiring at some point, just philosophically.”

Okay, so basically just getting one in some way. Darnold is our "one" this year, in that case. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If Mills and/or Mond had still been available in the early 3rd where we drafted Christensen that would've been interesting. I had both pegged as potential 3rd round targets and they both came off the board in the picks leading up to ours.

I don't think many Huddlers had boards that looked like what the actual Panthers board did.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd honestly forgotten about Brown. Thanks for the reminder.

That particular pick was a bit of a head scratcher for me. We'd mainly been focusing on versatility and movement skills with our OL moves prior to that, then we picked a guy who plummeted down the board specifically because he lacked movent skills. In a phone booth, I'd pick Brown over just about anyone in the NFL, but the modern day game is rapidly moving toward spread style offenses that largely negate that style of play. Hence why he was available at that point in the draft.

I know he's big, but he's surprisingly mobile.  He dropped in the draft  because he looked so bad at combine and senior bowl because he gained so much weight.  He's been cutting, hopefully he'll get down to a good playing weight.  If you read the draft reviews they say he can move.

6 hours ago, Rubi said:

Little was 2nd rounder (trade up) ?

lol I can’t fathom why hurney was allowed to make decisions for so long across 2 owners. 

this was and still is my biggest gripe with Hurney and to an extent Gettleman. they believed too much in themselves. Smart GMs like Fitts know this is a guessing game and you have to increase your chances 

10 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I know he's big, but he's surprisingly mobile.  He dropped in the draft  because he looked so bad at combine and senior bowl because he gained so much weight.  He's been cutting, hopefully he'll get down to a good playing weight.  If you read the draft reviews they say he can move.

He's really not mobile at all, especially in space.

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He is the kind of guard that would have been desirable 15+ years ago. Given what we do offensively, it was an odd choice.

But, as a 6th round pick, an excellent gamble.

Larry Allen

He was elite on the '80s. Hell, one of the GOATs. He'd be a borderline roster player today.

• Beer 1