• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The worst with a clean pocket, the worst in the red zone…

AceBoogie

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, if he's pointing to the Doug Farrar article that Tim Weaver quotes here as authoritative, I wonder if that means he also agrees with what Farrar has to say about Cam Newton in that same piece.

(Newton is listed as the worst quarterback on five-step drops)

Have said already that I don't know how Darnold's going to do (hope he's good, obviously) but I do know that Tim Weaver is one of the worst Panthers writers there is so I don't take anything he writes seriously. 

Lol please don’t include Cam in the same sentence as Sam Darnold. Cam is the active leading rusher in TDs in the NFL and made it to the super bowl with Ted Ginn Jr as his #1. He could never play another down and Sam Darnold will never be that. 

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, bigdog10 said:

Signing Darnold and passing up on fields had the potential to be the first dominoes in the sequence that gets Rhule fired after year three. 

I hope Sam succeeds. I just have zero confidence in it. 

That may just be the biggest dagger because the news was that ownership wanted Fields. Most logical people would have picked Fields. 

If Darnold can't rebound, Teddy washed out, Cam balls out and you passed on a potential OROY in Fields?!? I don't think your boss will be a happy camper in hindsight of it all.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Lol please don’t include Cam in the same sentence as Sam Darnold. Cam is the active leading rusher in TDs in the NFL and made it to the super bowl with Ted Ginn Jr as his #1. He could never play another down and Sam Darnold will never be that. 

That and five bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

The only records I give a sh-t about are win-loss records. If we win games this season, I won't care about anything else. 

16 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

2015 Cam was great!  2020…Bored Paul Rudd GIF

34 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Three QBs?  OK so the scenario we are discussing includes not only Sam's failure, but the failure of the unnamed subsequent successor.   

Why are you referencing this scenario?

Because I'll be surprised if Darnold doesn't fail. I'm already assuming they're gonna have to take that third swing.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

That may just be the biggest dagger because the news was that ownership wanted Fields. Most logical people would have picked Fields. 

If Darnold can't rebound, Teddy washed out, Cam balls out and you passed on a potential OROY in Fields?!? I don't think your boss will be a happy camper in hindsight of it all.

IF Tepper was pushing for Fields, IF Darnold struggles, and IF Fields lights it up early then yeah Rhule could be on the hot seat, but that is 3 IFs. I don’t think Cam is really relevant to Rhule anymore. The Pats missed the playoffs and drafted a QB in the first during year 1 of Cam…

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

The bias is real, GMs, HCs, scouts or not. Not trying to go to deep here, but human psychology and discrimination based on all types of biases are a real thing! Honestly, pertaining to the NFL, it likely takes place every draft season, much less free agency. I'd like to think that Rhule and company are more intellectual and analytical about scouting than your average fans--and, maybe they are--but that's anything but a certainty.

we have very little actual data about how any team, much less this specific staff, analyze their picks, free agents, and trades. we know Tepper says he likes to be data driven, but of course personal bias always comes into play with any decision.

the discussion suggested that draft position was the important factor, where as there are many factors that went into that draft position. i expect the bias leans more toward those factors than the draft position result.  

These dream sequences about Rhule getting the boot because he passed on Fields or chose Darnold or didn't draft OL in 1st two rounds are quite common here.

I guess I need to start posting things like:

How big a contract is Darnold going to get when he balls out?
How long of an extension will Rhule get after we reach the playoffs?
Which hand will Rhule wear his SB ring on?

To me these are just as fanciful. We don't know how Sam, Rhule, or the team is going to do. 

Sometimes you just have let it go...let Fields go... otherwise it starts to feel a little stalker-ish.  

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

These dream sequences about Rhule getting the boot because he passed on Fields or chose Darnold or didn't draft OL in 1st two rounds are quite common here.

I guess I need to start posting things like:

How big a contract is Darnold going to get when he balls out?
How long of an extension will Rhule get after we reach the playoffs?
Which hand will Rhule wear his SB ring on?

To me these are just as fanciful. We don't know how Sam, Rhule, or the team is going to do. 

Sometimes you just have let it go...let Fields go... otherwise it starts to feel a little stalker-ish.  

It's a tough division. Not making it in the NFC South doesn't make you a bad coach. It just means your not good enough for this division.

We recognize that Rhule has an uphill battle, that's what it is.

Those factors are very likely scenarios. Rhule and Darnold to the SB this season isn't. We're hopeful but.....c'mon man!?

3 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

It's a tough division. Not making it in the NFC South doesn't make you a bad coach. It just means your not good enough for this division.

We recognize that Rhule has an uphill battle, that's what it is.

Those factors are very likely scenarios. Rhule and Darnold to the SB this season isn't. We're hopeful but.....c'mon man!?

I agree its a tough division.  Tepper knows that.  He chose Rhule.

Its not likely we'll be in the SB soon, so we agree there.
Its not likely Rhule will get booted soon.

My point is that some people are so disappointed in these offseason moves that they keep posting dream sequences of our coach getting fired and its early to predict his firing.  

• Beer 1

Just now, SBBlue said:

I agree its a tough division.  Tepper knows that.  He chose Rhule.

Its not likely we'll be in the SB soon, so we agree there.
Its not likely Rhule will get booted soon.

My point is that some people are so disappointed in these offseason moves that they keep posting dream sequences of our coach getting fired and its early to predict his firing.  

From what I've seen of Tepper, contracts don't matter, he'd better coach like it's his last season ever.