• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the Panthers Rookies(TheAthletic)

kungfoodude

12 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I guess he has made a couple of bad snaps already in practice. You gotta remember JJ has been bulletproof for almost a decade. 

That was why I think most were extremely surprised by the pick.

The snapper picked after him seemed much more likely to fit in the NFL due to his much better size. No longer remember who and where.

13 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I guess he has made a couple of bad snaps already in practice. You gotta remember JJ has been bulletproof for almost a decade. 

That was why I think most were extremely surprised by the pick.

That, plus the fact LS are a dime a dozen and someone like Trey smith was still available. Waste of a pick 

3 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

That, plus the fact LS are a dime a dozen and someone like Trey smith was still available. Waste of a pick 

Of the 41 LS's listed on overthecap.com for 2021(one is currently unsigned/cut):

5th Round: 1 (Joe Cardona - #166 overall/Pats)
6th Round: 3(Blake Ferguson - #185 overall/Dolphins, Thomas Fletcher - #222 overall/Panthers, Camaron Cheeseman - #225 overall/WTF)
7th Round: 2(Clark Harris - #243 overall/Packers, Hunter Bradley - #239 overall/Packers)

UDFA: 35

• Pie 1

21 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

https://theathletic.com/2763207/2021/08/11/ranking-the-panthers-rookies-from-day-1-starter-jaycee-horn-to-the-ones-with-work-to-do/

I won't post the camp write ups because I don't want to blast paid content(which you should subscribe to, BTW) but they had them:

Immediate Impact

1. Horn

2. Marshall

3. Nixon

Showing Flashes

4. Smith

5. Taylor

6. Christensen 

7. Tremble

8. Hubbard

Work to Do

9. Brown

10. Fletcher

11. Hoskins

I liked the draft overall, not nearly as good as the 2020 draft though.  We really could have used a DE, LB and C with the Brown, Fletcher and Hoskins selections.  All the others made sense at either position and/or draftee.

31 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I liked the draft overall, not nearly as good as the 2020 draft though.  We really could have used a DE, LB and C with the Brown, Fletcher and Hoskins selections.  All the others made sense at either position and/or draftee.

I liked some things and didn't like others. I really liked the 2020 draft so this was a huge step down, IMO. 

But, we could get some impact player long term in Horn and Marshall and maybe some key roles players like Tremble, Nixon, Smith.

Anything beyond that would be great.

• Beer 1

17 hours ago, saX man said:

Kugbila over Bakhtiari (next pick) is the bigger one, arguably the biggest miss in our history.  Bakhtiari was right there in our laps, a huge need, many tied him to us, projected maybe a G more than a T at the time, and we took a guy no one heard of from a small school.    

That right there could have been Cam's saving grace and I deem it the pick that forever was a miss.  Biggest miss in our history for a "shouldawouldacoulda".  Trey Smith hasn't played a snap yet so let's please hold the moaning for him.  Nothing has played out minus training camps.

I can pinpoint it. That was the exact moment I knew I was going to hate Gettleman. His personnel decisions were already irking me to that point. Then in the fourth round, picking the last player who we could reasonably hope to contribute before we get to the late rounds, and with a gaping maw of talent in our O-Line that's supposed to protect the face of the league at the time, what do we do?

I remember the bafflement of the talking heads on the live broadcast, and the mad scramble to try to cut to any footage available on this guy, and all they found was something that looked like this:

Mens Varsity Football - Modesto Junior College - Modesto, California -  Football - Hudl

That was the exact moment where I started questioning if Gettleman was grossly incompetent, or was actively trying to torpedo the team.

• Flames 1