• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule: Moton is the top RT and second LT behind Erving.

SgtJoo

52 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He was the Head Coach of TWO College programmes for SEVEN years. Where is this 'green' nonsense coming from?

College ain't the pros. We see it with great college players trying to make the transition and failing and we've seen it with great college coaches trying to make the transition and failing. Success at the college level doesn't always translate. So yeah, they're very green at the NFL level.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, Ace420 said:

I like this too, but just like franchise qbs, a good left tackle is hard to find.

Moton at 75% efficiency at LT and  Rady or Scott at RT still might be our best lineup. 

Plus, who knows. Moton might play at a pro bowl level there after a few games. Have to give it a shot to find out.

Gross would've been a HOF RT, but he was a very good LT and a very good LT is still more important than a HOF RT so he played LT.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

College ain't the pros. We see it with great college players trying to make the transition and failing and we've seen it with great college coaches trying to make the transition and failing. Success at the college level doesn't always translate. So yeah, they're very green at the NFL level.

They fail because they struggle to relate with / motivate millionaire athletes.

They don't fail because they don't know how to lead a programme / organisation. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Just delaying the inevitable. Erving can't even make it through camp, much less the rigor of actual games.

Is his last year voidable? I know olineman aren’t cheap but Chris Clark literally rolled off his couch onto the field for 1 million and I doubt we get much more from Erving.

Sucks to be on the hook for 10 million and not get poo. Might as well sign cheap trash than expensive trash and least have money for future or somewhere else. I am really hoping Erving proves me wrong.

Edited by onmyown

18 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Listen, you definitely aren't wrong about them needing to adjust to the NFL. I think outside of the most delusional of our fanbase, we mostly all accept that to a certain degree. However, in their defense, we did get pitched that this was a long rebuild. The owner warned the fans about that. I do think "over their heads" is a bit strong. I think they are still navigating their learning curve.

Let me put it this way, was last season not a genuine surprise with how well we performed? I was fully ready to see a 0-4 win team that was getting blasted off the field almost every week. That didn't happen. Despite having probably the least talented overall roster in the NFL, we were competitive in almost every game. In my mind, that puts us a bit ahead of schedule.

So, while we are critical of them(I know I definitely am) we also need to accept that they are still kind of figuring everything out too. I am sure after hearing Grier's comments this week and seeing the structure of our training camp, Teddy's comments about the staff not really practicing situational stuff last season was probably true(also note that we didn't have normal circumstances last offseason). But, guess what we practiced a lot this offseason, situational football. At the bare minimum, that has to show some level of learning and change.

Do I ultimately think this is the staff to stabilize this franchise? I don't know. I think the "culture" aspect is underrated by fans and I think they seem to be doing a good job of building that for us. So, as much as I will bitch about the staff, I am actually hopeful that these are the guys. It's just after 3 straight losing seasons(likely to stretch to 4 this year) and only 7 total winning seasons....I am going to be a bit grumpy about having to suffer through more bad to mediocre results.

tomato, tomaTOE.  We can call it a learning curve if you like.   If the other sounds too harsh.  But I think it is a broad learning curve that shows up in lots of areas.  Which again is fine.  But we should be able to talk about them.  

I admittedly am not a fan of the college coach route.  NFL just is a different beast IMO.  What works in college rarely translate.  I mean I love me some Dabo.  I would blast Carolina for thinking he could turn this franchise around.  He couldn’t.   Well, until, he proved everyone and including me wrong.  Rhule might work out.  But I just don’t see it.   

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

tomato, tomaTOE.  We can call it a learning curve if you like.   If the other sounds too harsh.  But I think it is a broad learning curve that shows up in lots of areas.  Which again is fine.  But we should be able to talk about them.  

I admittedly am not a fan of the college coach route.  NFL just is a different beast IMO.  What works in college rarely translate.  I mean I love me some Dabo.  I would blast Carolina for thinking he could turn this franchise around.  He couldn’t.   Well, until, he proved everyone and including me wrong. 

Yeah, that college to NFL path is a low probability route. I do think these guys seem to want to get better at this enough that they will keep striving to improve. I don't think you could say that about guys like Spurrier, Kelly, Saban, Petrino, etc. You have to be willing to put in the work and these guys appear to be willing to do that. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

They fail because they struggle to relate with / motivate millionaire athletes.

They don't fail because they don't know how to lead a programme / organisation. 

Wishful thinking. It's a different ballgame dealing with a draft order and a hard salary cap vs. free for all recruiting.

It's a different organizational structure too. The head coach is the king of a college program. The head coach is more like a president of an NFL team. He has a lot of power and control, but not sole authority anymore.

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, that college to NFL path is a low probability route. I do think these guys seem to want to get better at this enough that they will keep striving to improve. I don't think you could say that about guys like Spurrier, Kelly, Saban, Petrino, etc. You have to be willing to put in the work and these guys appear to be willing to do that. 

I just need to quit listening to Rhule speak to reporters.  For whatever reason, those keep turning me off of late.  Well, for awhile now.    

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I just need to quit listening to Rhule speak to reporters.  For whatever reason, those keep turning me off of late.  

I wouldn't put too much stock into those interviews. Rhule is interesting in the way he "uses" those platforms. He's saying a lot without saying a lot. 

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Wishful thinking. It's a different ballgame dealing with a draft order and a hard salary cap vs. free for all recruiting.

It's a different organizational structure too. The head coach is the king of a college program. The head coach is more like a president of an NFL team. He has a lot of power and control, but not sole authority anymore.

Two stellar Drafts in I'd suggest he's handling that Draft order quite well, no?

Rhule is the king of this organisation.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I wouldn't put too much stock into those interviews. Rhule is interesting in the way he "uses" those platforms. He's saying a lot without saying a lot. 

Yeah, he just seems like he spews complete bullshit.   Too many words probably.   Could be his speedy talk too.  Just doesn’t hit my ears well. 

Maybe I am just conditioned for my NFL coaches to speak a certain way. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Yeah, he just seems like he spews complete bullshit.   Too many words probably.   Could be his speedy talk too.  Just doesn’t hit my ears well. 

Maybe I am just conditioned for my NFL coaches to speak a certain way. 

He seems to be manipulating what the narrative is for whatever purpose he wants. It's definitely interesting. I don't fault him for that. It's more amusing than anything.