• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking back at the draft

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

I mean I would say Deshaun Watson is an elite-level QB on a terrible team. But again, we can debate this all day.  And I'm not talking about wins here. I'm talking about elite QB talent.  I'm saying Mahomes is an elite QB no matter where he plays. 

Don't elite QBs elevate the level of everyone around you? So if you have good stats and the rest suck are you really elite. Didn't Cam take us to the Superbowl with the worse receivers in the league and we averaged 30 points a game in 2015? And many folks don't think Cam was elite.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean I said he was throwing his coaches under the bus publicly.  Call it what you want.  

But a high end backup isn’t going to stay over employed long doing that.     Sam will be easier to hang onto if he is no more productive than Teddy. 

NFL is straight up business.  NFL has no problem with shitty teammates overall.   Bad PR is bad PR.   And coaches probably get all sorts of poo way worse than what Teddy said to their face….but behind closed doors.  And the coaches after that started doing the same thing back at Teddy….in the public. 

the point being, I am not convinced Rhule will move on quick from Sam if he is simply the Sam dude he was in NY.   Which while bad wasn’t some Jimmy Clausen type poo.   Jets always had a punchers chance with Darnold. 

Darnold will have to do much better than a "punchers chance" if he wants to remain the starter after this season.  He will be a backup to whomever is brought in if that's all he can muster.

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Hopefully we would move on. Not sure if that is a complete certainty. 

What does it matter if he gets beat out by a better qb?  He may not turn out to be Joe Montana 2.0 but he's certainly showed enough ability to be a damn good backup. Win win in my book.

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Darnold will have to do much better than a "punchers chance" if he wants to remain the starter after this season.  He will be a backup to whomever is brought in if that's all he can muster.

there aren’t a lot of QBs growing on trees.  Each offseason is a different beast.   

and just bringing in guys that should be a backup to start for a year isn’t a position I think Rhule can keep repeating for a 3rd straight year (if that is Sam). 

so it could be just keep the good guy to be a body while you  “search” for something with more potential than continuing to repeat the pattern.    And just because you want someone in the draft doesn’t mean the opportunity will be there…..especially if you win 7-9 games   This was an abnormal draft in terms QBs available to gamble on

So many playing the what if game in this, and many other threads. It's a pointless exercise. There are lots of picks and there are always busts and players that don't live up to the draft slot. It will *always* be possible to say, why didn't we take *that guy*. Such a waste of time imho. You make your choices and live with them. Sometimes you'll be wrong, but so is every other NFL team. Personally, I don't think Fields will pan out as an upper echelon NFL QB, and I think we're going to be just as good or better with Darnold as we would have been with Fields. But either way, it's a waste to look back and say, "we could have done _X_". Every team can say the same thing. You roll with your choices until it's time to change course.

• Pie 2

Just now, CRA said:

there aren’t a lot of QBs growing on trees.  Each offseason is a different beast.   

and just bringing guys that should be a backup to start for a year isn’t a position I think Rhule can keep repeating for a 3rd straight year (if that is Sam). 

so it could be just keep the good guy to be a body while you  “search” for something with more potential than continuing to repeat the pattern.    And just because you want someone in the draft doesn’t mean the opportunity will be there…..especially if you win 7-9 games 

If the worst case scenario is what you want to cling to sure.  So what should they do, give up?  I've got news for you every team that doesn't have an answer at qb is still looking for one.  We are one of them.  Also, every single qb drafted in the last draft is still a huge question mark and odds are only one of them will live up to his draft hype. 

You can fire the entire front office and we would still be looking for an answer at qb. You can blame whomever you want until the cows come home and it still won't change that fact. 

But lament away.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

What does it matter if he gets beat out by a better qb?  He may not turn out to be Joe Montana 2.0 but he's certainly showed enough ability to be a damn good backup. Win win in my book.

I mean move on in general. I am not sure we would keep him given his salary. Not sure an almost $19 mil backup QB is very reasonable. 

I mean move on in general. I am not sure we would keep him given his salary. Not sure an almost $19 mil backup QB is very reasonable. 

It's pocket change on the cap for one season.  If he doesn't want to be a backup he can follow Teddy's happy ass out of town.  Fitterererrrr..er will trade him to someone for something you can bank it.

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

and just bringing in guys that should be a backup to start for a year isn’t a position I think Rhule can keep repeating for a 3rd straight year (if that is Sam). 

so it could be just keep the good guy to be a body while you  “search” for something with more potential than continuing to repeat the pattern.    And just because you want someone in the draft doesn’t mean the opportunity will be there…..especially if you win 7-9 games   This was an abnormal draft in terms QBs available to gamble on

Wilson and Jones came out of nowhere. 

Lance was a height / weight / speed prospect they fell in love with two years ago.

Every year there's a first round QB to gamble your pick on if you want to!

13 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's pocket change on the cap for one season.  If he doesn't want to be a backup he can follow Teddy's happy ass out of town.  Fitterererrrr..er will trade him to someone for something you can bank it.

It's not pocket change, it would be the second largest cap figure on the team in 2022(so far). It would actually be the 15th largest QB salary in the NFL for 2022, as well.

It's not pocket change, it would be the second largest cap figure on the team in 2022(so far). It would actually be the 15th largest QB salary in the NFL for 2022, as well.

So? He would've earned it if that is what he actually gets. If he doesn't prove he's worth it this season it was sunk cost on a gamble they were willing to take.  It doesn't prevent them from doing anything at all.

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

So? He would've earned it if that is what he actually gets. If he doesn't prove he's worth it this season it was sunk cost on a gamble they were willing to take.  It doesn't prevent them from doing anything at all.

I am talking about eating that as a backup QB salary. I don't think there is any way that happens. It makes no sense financially. If we works out, it makes financial sense. Not if he is a bust.

Like I said, I will be curious to see if he moves on if he doesn't work out.

Edited by kungfoodude

I am talking about earing that as a backup QB salary. I don't think there is any way that happens. It makes no sense financially. If we works out, it makes financial sense. Not if he is a bust.

Like I said, I will be curious to see if he moves on if he doesn't work out.

My guess he will want to compete for a starting role.  He will either have to renegotiate his contract here or move on ultimately.  I mean they paid Denver to take Teddy.  I seriously doubt they wouldn't hesitate to do the same for Sam.