• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A little more insight on the almost Matt Stafford trade.

Panthercougar68

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we had Stafford we'd be in win now mode.

And since we did everything we could to acquire Stafford- this front office thinks we are in win now mode.

so, in a nutshell since we didn’t acquire stafford we are still in rebuild mode? Is that the logic that is being used here

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Detroit's team has been cursed. It's the only explanation for how they could suck so bad for so long. Can't blame him for wanting out of there. Also, can't blame him for wanting to head to sunny LA and play for a team that has the window open right now and a couple of years more.

That cost, though... Whew, too rich for our blood. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we had Stafford we'd be in win now mode.

We are still missing some pieces. First we are the youngest or second youngest team. We have offensive linemen, linebacker, and FS issues. TE is still a bit of a question mark. LA had a roster than was in “win now” BEFORE the Stafford deal. They already made several playoff runs already. McVay is also more proven than Rhule at this point. The LA decision makes sense to me and I kind of want a young QB to grow with our roster…

In other QB trade news, Adam Shefter is now reporting conclusively what was widely rumored back when the Niners traded for #3 - they made the move for Mac Jones.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32192632/sources-san-francisco-49ers-trade-no-3-draft-pick-spurred-concern-new-england-patriots-moving-mac-jones

That look of deep concern Shanahan had on his face at Mac Jones' pro day makes a lot of sense assuming this is correct. Uh oh. This ain't that guy.

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We are still missing some pieces. First we are the youngest or second youngest team. We have offensive linemen, linebacker, and FS issues. TE is still a bit of a question mark. LA had a roster than was in “win now” BEFORE the Stafford deal. They already made several playoff runs already. McVay is also more proven than Rhule at this point. The LA decision makes sense to me and I kind of want a young QB to grow with our roster…

No team is set at every position group. I’m sure the Rams fans think they have holes just like we do. Especially with them trading every 1st rounder they’ve had for a decade and handing out market setting contracts to many vets. That’s just how the NFL is set up. No team is going to have studs at every single position. 

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

Goddamn imagine Stanford in this offense with these weapons. He’d have thrown for 5000 yards. 

Or gotten killed behind this OL.

If we had Stafford though, we'd probably be a very popular dark horse playoff pick.

I can't blame Stafford for picking the LA situation. They're the better situation for an aging QB. Yeah, we have damn good weapons but our OL looks like trash on paper.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

No team is set at every position group. I’m sure the Rams fans think they have holes just like we do. Especially with them trading every 1st rounder they’ve had for a decade and handing out market setting contracts to many vets. That’s just how the NFL is set up. No team is going to have studs at every single position. 

Agreed but we are definitely in more of a rebuild stage than these playoff teams. The Rams have made several runs with QB play being the issue that holds them back. They are hoping Stafford fixes this. We are in year two of gutting our roster. Definitely trending in the right direction. Put it this way, Stafford makes the Rams potential Super Bowl contenders and would make us a potential playoff team IMO. If he came here and won one analysts would be shocked, not so much over there…

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Or gotten killed behind this OL.

If we had Stafford though, we'd probably be a very popular dark horse playoff pick.

I can't blame Stafford for picking the LA situation. They're the better situation for an aging QB. Yeah, we have damn good weapons but our OL looks like trash on paper.

Yeah, objectively the Rams have a much better line than us to begin the season, but we all know how quickly these things can change. Especially with ancient Andrew Whitworth playing LT and several of their guys coming back from big injuries. I guess we shall see…

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Gipetto said:

I didn’t want Matt Stafford. Dude played 12 years in Detroit and didn’t accomplish one thing.

Agreed. Stafford is a spoiled rich brat from oil money in Dallas. He’s physically gifted up the wazoo and his arm talent might be the best in the NFL, but he hasn’t accomplished anything in his time in the NFL and probably doesn’t have that fire in his belly to be great.

• Poo 1

Just now, joemac said:

Yeah, objectively the Rams have a much better line than us to begin the season, but we all know how quickly these things can change. Especially with ancient Andrew Whitworth playing LT and several of their guys coming back from big injuries. I guess we shall see…

Yep. I'm just thinking from the perspective of a good, aging QB. From that perspective, weapons are nice. They're awesome. But I'd rather be behind a good OL with lesser weapons than behind a porous OL with better weapons. I'm thinking that if the OL can keep me clean I'll find somebody but all the weapons in the world aren't gonna help me much if the defense is having a team meeting around me immediately after the snap every time I go to drop back and those hits are starting to hurt a lot more than they did a decade ago. Yeah, I'm going better OL over better weapons.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. I'm just thinking from the perspective of a good, aging QB. From that perspective, weapons are nice. They're awesome. But I'd rather be behind a good OL with lesser weapons than behind a porous OL with better weapons. I'm thinking that if the OL can keep me clean I'll find somebody but all the weapons in the world aren't gonna help me much if the defense is having a team meeting around me immediately after the snap every time I go to drop back and those hits are starting to hurt a lot more than they did a decade ago. Yeah, I'm going better OL over better weapons.

Can’t really argue with that!