• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Speed vs Power

Mr. Scot

Quotes from Matt Rhule and Jermaine Carter in Joe Person's latest  article (link)

“They came out, introduced some big personnel packages they hadn’t done a lot of, got downhill (and) ran through contact,” Rhule said. “We did not tackle or get off blocks to our liking.”

And as Carter suggested, in a copycat league, the Panthers better get used to seeing teams load up and attack them with a power running game. “They did come out and play some big sets, and we struggled to match up to those big sets,” Rhule added. “We’ll work on that. We’ll know that people are going to come out and try to do that to us moving forward.”

It's a long time cycle in the NFL. Build a power defense, teams attack you with speed. Build a defense with speed, teams attack you with power running.

We've built a defense with some power up front but mostly speed in the back seven because we face some prolific passing attacks in our division. But does that potentially leave us vulnerable against teams that have the capability of fielding a power running attack?

Well...yeah.

Carter's right. Other teams who watched this past Sunday's game are going to pick up on that. And unfortunately, having a middle linebacker who's only 225 lbs can be one of the vulnerabilities.

We might need to make some adjustments in both scheme and personnel to account for it. Doesn't necessarily mean we'll go outside the team mind you, but we'll see.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ZeroZeroSeven said:

We missed YGM.  Probably one of our better guys at stopping the run and setting the edge and brings more size as a traditional 4-3 DE.  

Definitely.

But also, much as I hate to say it, Jermaine Carter probably isn't an ideal middle linebacker. I still agree with dumping Denzel Perryman for other reasons, but when healthy he probably was better suited to that role.

Throw in, as has been mentioned in other threads, safety isn't exactly a strength right now. And unfortunately, that likely includes Jeremy Chinn.

Adjustments are probably gonna be needed. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

At the same time, teams have set up their offensive personnel on the same speed versus power spectrum. A team might want to attack us with power running, but if they're more of a fast, athletic line, is won't be easy to switch to power running in a week. 

In any game, you think in terms of the meta. In essence, a "meta" in gaming terminology is a generally agreed upon strategy by the community. Said strategy is considered to be the most optimal way to win/ has the best performance at a specific task. Some people have defined meta as an acronym meaning “most effective tactics available”.

You build your team based upon the countering the meta. If the meta is speed, you build your defense for speed and hope you can hold your own when you face that off-meta team that uses power.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Definitely.

But also, much as I hate to say it, Jermaine Carter probably isn't an ideal middle linebacker. I still agree with dumping Denzel Perryman for other reasons, but when healthy he probably was better suited to that role.

Throw in, as has been mentioned in other threads, safety isn't exactly a strength right now. And unfortunately, that likely includes Jeremy Chinn.

Adjustments are probably gonna be needed. We'll see what happens.

Agreed.  I can't help but wonder the amount of damage Kuechly could do in this defense alongside Shaq playing at the level he's been this season. 

Hindsight being 20/20, there were just too many missing pieces on the defense between YGM/Horn/Burris that it trickled through the rest of the defense in a myriad of ways.

Perryman was just a waste time.  Now that I think about it, with his questionable decision making and lack of availability during TC/preseason, I'm not sure he ever wanted to be on the East Coast (comes from LA chargers, ends up back toward the West Coast with LV).

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

At the same time, teams have set up their offensive personnel on the same speed versus power spectrum. A team might want to attack us with power running, but if they're more of a fast, athletic line, is won't be easy to switch to power running in a week. 

In any game, you think in terms of the meta. In essence, a "meta" in gaming terminology is a generally agreed upon strategy by the community. Said strategy is considered to be the most optimal way to win/ has the best performance at a specific task. Some people have defined meta as an acronym meaning “most effective tactics available”.

You build your team based upon the countering the meta. If the meta is speed, you build your defense for speed and hope you can hold your own when you face that off-meta team that uses power.

Our offensive personnel in general, line included, are very WCO.

• Pie 2

I see the point being made and im not saying it's wrong, but 1 team with a good line, broke tendency and used a power run game (relic of another time) and attacked a weakened unit.

Other teams can try to do what Dallas did, but we got 5 weeks before we see another team like Dallas.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Good thread; it's an interesting point.  We can provide enough up front power with something that includes YGM (upon return), Fox, Brown & Daquan but the LBs as mentioned seem to get caught in blocks on the first level even when we weren't blitzing.  Speedy and aggressive can get caught by the power and methodical.  Fine line.  And they were sneaky to blatant holding and getting away with it.  Know thy officiating crew.  

The LB play was a bit frustrating with Shaq having his first meh to below average game this season.  Overall, it's still a big void Luke and TD left.  And our LB group needs the nasties to push the opposing OL.  Just didn't happen.  You win and lose in the trenches. Hope them come back thirsty against a makeshift but good OL in Philly.  Honestly, it's another test against a more mid-tier OL.

Just now, L-TownCat said:

I see the point being made and im not saying it's wrong, but 1 team with a good line, broke tendency and used a power run game (relic of another time) and attacked a weakened unit.

Other teams can try to do what Dallas did, but we got 5 weeks before we see another team like Dallas.

Truth be told, with the NFL rules being what they are, I don't know that many teams have emphasized power running.

It's valid that we'll be vulnerable to teams that can do it, but which teams are those?

2 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

I'm not sure any other team in the league has a tandem on the level of Dallas' OL/RB combo.  I'm hoping we see them again with a healthy CMC, YGM and Burris.  Different ball game if those guys play.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Truth be told, with the NFL rules being what they are, I don't know that many teams have emphasized power running.

It's valid that we'll be vulnerable to teams that can do it, but which teams are those?

Thats what im saying.  Who else has the Personnel to attack us like Dallas did?