• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If the Panthers don’t bring in any offensive linemen for workouts this week my faith in this season will be gone.

Eazy-E

It's all chatter not to be taken too literally.  But the underlying sentiment is that we have had poor OL play for a while and we don't see obvious moves to make things better, compounded with average ROI from the moves made in lieu of improving the OL.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

So you are telling me that Miller is better than Ricky Wagner, J.R. Sweezy, David DeCastro, DJ Fluker, A.Q. Shipley...just to name a few.  I could care less most of them are over 30, this is strictly a rental plan to survive the season so HOPEFULLY the team can attack the OL issue in the offseason. 

The plan for treading water for the duration of the season has failed.  This OL has been exposed and the sharks are circling.  Two lugs nut are already off the tire and it will only take two more before the wheel comes completely off.  Blind optimism that this will somehow correct itself, is just that, blind optimism.  The answers to our IOL problems are not currently on this roster.

First off, some of those guys are retired. That means their rights still belong to their prior teams and you can't sign them unless that team releases those rights.

Setting that aside though...

Better than who they used to be? No.

Better than who they are now? Yeah it's possible.

Those guys are very well recognized names. If they really did still have something in the tank and were readily available, with the number of teams that have OL needs right now I'm pretty sure they'd have a job.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I agree.  But having said that, they better be trying something.  Brady better come up with something to help these guys out because no amount of pep talks is going to get anything more out of this group.

Igo is right. We have guys who haven't seen playing time yet. I'm going that route before I'm asking somebody to get out of his rocking chair.

And sorry folks but the whole "I'm mad so somebody better get cut" thing is just a fan tantrum. The real world doesn't work that way.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Igo is right. We have guys who haven't seen playing time yet. I'm going that route before I'm asking somebody to get out of his rocking chair.

And sorry folks but the whole "I'm mad so somebody better get cut" thing is just a fan tantrum. The real world doesn't work that way.

I realize all of that Scott.  What they are doing is not working and it's all pointing to the coaches.  Rhule got his versatile players so now show is what you can do with them.  So far it's nothing be ass. 

Got it, so the best plan is no plan versus being pro-active and at least giving some guys looks/tryouts.  Your assumption that every FA right now is garbage is just that, an assumption.  Most of them most likely are, but the team has to identify a few and at least give them a try out.  I have little faith in that because they made their bed this offseason with this group that even the most casual Huddler saw as a train wreck in the making.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Joey Slye and Ryan Santoso would like a word with you.

Edited by 45catfan

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Got it, so the best plan is no plan versus being pro-active and at least giving some guys looks/tryouts.  Your assumption that every FA right now is garbage is just that, an assumption.  Most of them most likely are, but the team has to identify a few and at least give them a try out.  I have little faith in that because they made their bed this offseason with this group that even the most casual Huddler saw as a train wreck in the making.

They hold tryouts every week. It generally doesn't result in much except the occasional bottom of the roster churn.

Do you really want to sign some guy off his couch when we haven't even put Deonte Brown in yet?

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Restating from above...

There are probably a good 20 teams that need help on the offensive line right now.

For some undiscovered gem to be out there, it means that not only did our staff miss them but numerous other NFL staffs with the same problems as us did so as well.

I don't see that as especially likely.

We have an offensive line that ranks in the bottom 5 in the league and is dead last in some categories. These guys may not be an upgrade for those 20 other teams but these guys on their couch could be better than the garbage we’re putting out there currently. 

We will never know though if our staff just continues to sit on their hands.

Edit: Also a lot of teams are cap strapped and we have like the 3rd most available cap in the league. A lot of these 30 year old vets aren’t willing to come back and play for peanuts.

You think a guy like Richard Sherman, who may or may not have been an upgrade for us, would have come to play here for the vet minimum?

Edited by Eazy-E

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

They hold tryouts every week. It generally doesn't result in much except the occasional bottom of the roster churn.

Do you really want to sign some guy off his couch when we haven't even put Deonte Brown in yet?

Yes, because Brown is a liability in pass protection.  He's a road grader in the run game, but unless he has suddenly found lateral mobility, he will get beat bad.  You think Daley and Miller looked bad on the T/E stunts yesterday?  Brown won't even get a hand on the looping defender.  You did see his Senior Bowl practices, correct?  Those were college players that was eating his lunch.

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yes, because Brown is a liability in pass protection.  He's a road grader in the run game, but unless he has suddenly found lateral mobility, he will get beat bad.  You think Daley and Miller looked bad on the T/E stunts yesterday?  Brown won't even get a hand on the looping defender.  You did see his Senior Bowl practices, correct?  Those were college players that was eating his lunch.

Guys never improve with pro coaching? 🤔

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I would much ratter have rookies with potential play and go through their growing pains, and get coached up than watching vets who have been in the league for 4-5 years already, still suck, and very likely won't get any better than what they currently are. 

Edited by BlackPanther21_

3 minutes ago, BlackPanther21_ said:

I would much ratter have rookies with potential play and go through their growing pains, than watching vets who have been in the league for 4-5 years already, still suck, and  very likely won't get any better than what they currently are. 

So you are in the do nothing/sinking ship camp too?  Cool.  I will remember this when this camp of folks starts bitching in a few weeks once the season officially spirals out of control.

Edited by 45catfan