• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trench Stats(DL/OL)

kungfoodude

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, he actually isn't. On average just basically one more pass per game than Teddy.

Throws of 20+ yards through 6 games for Teddy: 17

Throws of 20+ yards through 6 games for Darnold: 24

That's true, and I think we are asking Darnold to throw more times per game.  It does seem that Darnold is much more willing on 3rd down to go to or past the sticks while Teddy seemed to dump it off more. Might be interesting to look at those situational throws too.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

That's true, and I think we are asking Darnold to throw more times per game.  It does seem that Darnold is much more willing on 3rd down to go to or past the sticks while Teddy seemed to dump it off more. Might be interesting to look at those situational throws too.

There is a stat for that Football Outsiders has called ALEX. Also, 5.7 more passes per game for Darnold than Teddy through 6 games. 

Here is what I found for the percentage of throws by zones.

Teddy Bridgewater

Behind the LOS: 18.0%

0-10 yards: 44.7%

10-20 yards: 21.8%

20+ yards: 8.3%

Sam Darnold

Behind the LOS: 14.7%

0-10 yards: 47.3%

10-20 yards: 22.8%

20+ yards: 10.3%

Much more similar that I would have expected to be honest. I thought the deep pass disparity would be greater for Darnold. Basically just 3% difference in 10+ yard passes. Wow.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

There is a stat for that NFL Next Gen has called ALEX.

Here is what I found for the percentage of throws by zones.

Teddy Bridgewater

Behind the LOS: 18.0%

0-10 yards: 44.7%

10-20 yards: 21.8%

20+ yards: 8.3%

Sam Darnold

Behind the LOS: 14.7%

0-10 yards: 47.3%

10-20 yards: 22.8%

20+ yards: 10.3%

Much more similar that I would have expected to be honest. I thought the deep pass disparity would be greater for Darnold. Basically just 3% difference in 10+ yard passes. Wow.

Is this over the year or just thru the first 6 games?  Its interesting that we have so many fewer passes behind the LoS.

Tbh, my issue with Teddy was always more his inability to lead drives at end of games than it was anything with his deep ball.  He was pretty good up to 15ish yards which is enough if you can make clutch throws when it matters.

7 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Is this over the year or just thru the first 6 games?  Its interesting that we have so many fewer passes behind the LoS.

Tbh, my issue with Teddy was always more his inability to lead drives at end of games than it was anything with his deep ball.  He was pretty good up to 15ish yards which is enough if you can make clutch throws when it matters.

Through 6 games.

I think Teddy's biggest problem was that he threw to his first open option basically all the time regardless of circumstances.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Honestly, our offensive line is still garbage and is rarely being put in a position to help their case.

On defense, as hard as it is to admit, Snow's scheme has been figured out by teams that have coaching staffs that are students of the game. If an opponent's OC or DC even aren't anything more than glorified college coaches then we can dominate them.

I've been trying to be optimistic, but y'all have beaten me down. 

the Cowboys/Vikings have....a good QB.  a good RB.  two #1 caliber WRs on the outside. 

I don't think teams figured out his D...as much as the teams we dominated didn't have that.  

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

Interior DL don't often have big stat lines.  Brown takes up a lot of space, and blocks, which enables our edge rushers to feast.

But we suck at stopping the run... sucked at it last year.. I thought he ATLEAST was supposed to take care of that? Idk man watching Star stuff Derrick Henry Monday night leaves a lot to be desired from our 8th overall pick 

11 minutes ago, SJTGV said:

But we suck at stopping the run... sucked at it last year.. I thought he ATLEAST was supposed to take care of that? Idk man watching Star stuff Derrick Henry Monday night leaves a lot to be desired from our 8th overall pick 

We're very thin at LB and our ends are not great against the rush, which means we leaves a lot to be desired vs the run.  I don't know Brown's stats specifically vs the run.

Star also has a TON more experience than Brown to date, so I'm willing to give it some time.

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

We're very thin at LB and our ends are not great against the rush, which means we leaves a lot to be desired vs the run.  I don't know Brown's stats specifically vs the run.

Star also has a TON more experience than Brown to date, so I'm willing to give it some time.

Star came in day one stuffing the run I don't wanna hear that experience nonsense it takes no skill to stuff the run just size and power which is what he is supposed to have.. so like I said if he can't stuff the run and he's damn sure not sacking the QB.. what is he good for?

2 minutes ago, SJTGV said:

Star came in day one stuffing the run I don't wanna hear that experience nonsense it takes no skill to stuff the run just size and power which is what he is supposed to have.. so like I said if he can't stuff the run and he's damn sure not sacking the QB.. what is he good for?

what evidence do you have Brown is bad against the run? Not netting TFL is not the same as being bad against the run. 

21 minutes ago, SJTGV said:

We have improved since last year against the run. Some of it is the scheme we run defensively doesn't feature the DT's making plays as much.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Darnold is quite slow at getting rid of the ball, actually. He is rated 24th in the NFL at 2.9 seconds Time To Throw.

It was just a few years ago that the common belief was that a NFL QB had to have 3 seconds to process and throw the ball. Now people want it closer to 2 seconds. I don't know which is worse, that a guy has to read the defense and throw in less than 3 seconds or that offensive lines can't block for that long.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I actually think the defense is doing a great job. The biggest thing we can do to improve there is get healthy(missing a lot of key contributors) and for the offense to stop shitting the bed. 

Not many defenses are going to be successful when the offense is turning the ball over or getting dominated in TOP.

just thinking that giving up 1000 + yards in the last few games qualifies as being great. During that time, the O put up 74pts  vs.  91 points.  

5 minutes ago, Spatric said:

just thinking that giving up 1000 + yards in the last few games qualifies as being great. During that time, the O put up 74pts  vs.  91 points.  

The offense is definitely a problem but our defense has been gashed and unable to stop people at critical times the last 3 weeks.  Unsurprisingly we've also had serious injuries to key D players during that time.

I don't buy the "D is too gassed" argument entirely because they shouldn't be gassed in the 3rd quarter, where they very often are. I do think they are further along than the O but I don't think that is necessarily saying a ton.

• Pie 1