• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinking of moving from SoCal to Western Carolina

GOAT

On 10/26/2021 at 12:46 PM, Khyber53 said:

It's a great move for you and you're going to see a major economic boost from the difference between what you sell your house for there and what you can get here.

I'd suggest searching in Ashe, Watauga, Transylvania and Henderson Counties.

My favorite of the bunch and the one that should give you the best for what you want is Transylvania County. Brevard is a great, great little town and close to Asheville and Hendersonville, it's also right at the entrance to the Pisgah National Forest and within a couple of hours drive of Charlotte.

Go on Zillow and do some home shopping for Brevard, NC. 

Can we please not suggest Brevard to EVERYONE who inquires about moving to WNC . Brevard was way better until it started getting all the overflow from Asheville..now it's getting more and more like Asheville.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, Mayor Qumiby said:

Can we please not suggest Brevard to EVERYONE who inquires about moving to WNC . Brevard was way better until it started getting all the overflow from Asheville..now it's getting more and more like Asheville.

Brevard is fuging ruined. I was up there this past weekend trying to fish the Davidson. Despite it being cool and dreary the river was packed. Every trailhead overflowing. It's over for that town.

• Pie 1

On 10/26/2021 at 10:13 AM, GOAT said:

I have been toying with the idea of moving to the Carolina's since the pandemic.

I can work remotely and make the same amount, I own a home in Southern California and have two young children.

My wife and I have been discussing the pro's and con's, really it's just family at this point.

I would prob have to bring my mom and get a place with MIL suite or guest house.

Wanted to see if any locals could provide some insight on living in the following areas:

Ashville

Marion

Boone

Morganton

Hickory

We really want 4 seasons and a white Christmas guaranteed every year. I'm sick of neighbors, I want some land with a mountain view but also close enough to a downtown area, Target, Food, Shopping, Etc. Also be able to drive to see the Panthers as often as possible.

Anyone live in these cities or near by? Any ever make a move like this? Any other recommendations on towns in this area or with these requirements is greatly appreciated!

I had an opportunity to live in WNC for a while.  I'm not sure if you are looking for a big town or small town, but for families I would recommend Weaverville or Black Mountain.  Candler is also really great.  Hickory as its advantages because of location.

16 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Hickory as its advantages because of location.

Hickory is a poo hole. I think they've found three bodies in the last three days. That place is going to hell in a hand basket. Big enough to have city problems, not big enough to have city amenities. 

Morganton sucks too. Spread the word. Please. I'm afraid we're on the Brevard path.

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hickory is a poo hole. I think they've found three bodies in the last three days. That place is going to hell in a hand basket. Big enough to have city problems, not big enough to have city amenities. 

Morganton sucks too. Spread the word. Please. I'm afraid we're on the Brevard path.

Hickory would not be my first choice. If I were to move back from Charleston I wouldn't go Western NC. I would target the Raleigh area.

18 hours ago, Mayor Qumiby said:

You're getting Asheville refugees. All the rich and out of state work from home sorts have forced out the working stiffs.

11 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

You're getting Asheville refugees. All the rich and out of state work from home sorts have forced out the working stiffs.

A lot of the folks that used to want to be in Asheville are starting to branch out too. Asheville is ludicrously priced for WNC. Brevard, Black Mountain, Old Fort, all the way over to Morganton. They've all boomed in recent years and most of it is people starting to look beyond Asheville. Many due to price. Many due to wanting something smaller and quainter than Asheville. Many due to both. Around here we seem to be getting a lot of Long Islanders.