• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule being as honest as it will get

CRA

1 hour ago, AggieLean said:

Sam showed some heart this past game, so I’ll never take that away from him. It reminded me of when Cam was against Atlanta and dragged that defense for the first down. He was dead to rights 4 or 5 yards before the 1st down marker. Also, reminded me of the head shots; in particular, when that safety got him dead in the head but he came right back.

That Atl Cam run might actually be the most impressive run he ever had.  If all 11 defenders didn’t try to stop him it was at least close to 11.   Just a tank. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I agree. This is a team that could have won immediately. All we had to do was take the OL seriously and not assemble the worst QB unit in the NFL. That was it.

Yep. That is why I’m not so down on this team. Even bringing in a competent stop gap, we’d be a playoff team. I think Heineke takes this team to the playoffs. 

If there’s a rookie that shows he’s capable, I draft him and still bring in a good backup. This team can make the playoffs next year. That’s if you can sell these guys on giving it another go next year. 

• Beer 1

Just now, AggieLean said:

Yep. That is why I’m not so down on this team. Even bringing in a competent stop gap, we’d be a playoff team. I think Heineke takes this team to the playoffs. 

If there’s a rookie that shows he’s capable, I draft him and still bring in a good backup. This team can make the playoffs next year. That’s if you can sell these guys on giving it another go next year. 

Its crazy to say but I think our 2019 QBs could make this a playoff team.

Of course I don't think we can win much with them but yeah... We've fallen far.

That said...CMC changes the offense entirely... IF ( I know. I know...) He stays healthy, I think we can win a couple of our last few games and at least be entertaining occasionally on offense. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

That Atl Cam run might actually be the most impressive run he ever had.  If all 11 defenders didn’t try to stop him it was at least close to 11.   Just a tank. 

That’s why I can’t let Cam completely go lol. He’s got heart, and the grittiest QB we’ve ever had. We didn’t do him right. With that said, I don’t want him back here. His shoulder just ain’t going to let him continue, and I think this staff is Rivera like. They’d try to capture that old thing and that’s just not there 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Yep. I would love to have kept Heineke or Cam or have signed Tyrod Taylor or Trubisky or traded for Minshew or gotten any number of other veterans that could help us just be at least average at the position. 

I think we are having a completely different discussion about this season had that been the case, poo OL or not. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't know that even I would roll with Sam in 2022 even thinking rebuild. I am very sure they will not, because Tepper seems impatient and Rhule is gonna be feeling the heat. They have all bought in on the "win now" mentality. 

I would start Sam again simply because you risk flatly losing the team and losing talent that just wants out of here. It's hard to keep competitive people around on a losing franchise. That is at least part of what keeps bad franchises bad for a long time.

"losing a team" is overplayed by fans.  Players go where they get paid for the most part.

If we draft a QB this offseason we are probably losing anyway next year.

What keeps franchises bad is not finding a QB and wasting resources on players that don't make you better.

Lets say we get rid of Sam and draft a QB and sign a vet like Minshew, are we really accomplishing anything.  Maybe we win a few more games and have worst draft picks to add talent around the rookie QB we just drafted?  Not to mention the cap space we use on Minshew, which could actually be allocated to helping said rookie QB in the future.

Good thing we didn't keep Grier and not sign Teddy and/or Darnold, competitive people would have wanted to leave.  Give me that $50m and three draft picks and I replace the people who probably aren't going to leave anyway.

I agree though that ultimately Tepper will play a huge role in this.  He might be tired of waiting and at this point the staff will probably look for a another quick fix.

Edited by AU-panther

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yep. Another top notch defensive performance on Sunday should have put us back in the top 10 overall defenses and likely will be a top 5 pass defense unit. 

No reason to fight it, we are a run the ball and shut the other team down type of team. Same as the Fox era, same as the Rivera era.

So we are boring to watch again 

I didn’t play at the collegiate level, but I know the WR position. Played that my whole life. I know routes, and QBs aren’t putting the ball where it’s supposed to be. These guys don’t feel they’re being in a position to succeed. They won’t say it, but I know it. I see it.

• Pie 1

Just now, AU-panther said:

"losing a team" is overplayed by fans.  Players go where they get paid for the most part.

If we draft a QB this offseason we are probably losing anyway next year.

What keeps franchises bad is not finding a QB and wasting resources on players that don't make you better.

Lets say we get rid of Sam and draft a QB and sign a vet like Minshew, are we really accomplishing anything.  Maybe we win a few more games and have worst draft picks to add talent around the rookie QB we just drafted?  Not to mention the cap space we use on Minshew, which could actually be allocated to helping said rookie QB in the future.

Good think we didn't keep Grier and not sign Teddy and/or Darnold competitive people would have wanted to leave.  Give me that $50m and three draft picks and I replace the people who probably aren't going to leave anway.

I agree though that ultimately Tepper will play a huge role in this.  He might be tired of waiting and at this point the staff will probably look for a another quick fix.

Players chase money but winning players also chase opportunity. It's the reason players like Matt Stafford didn't chose us or the Jags or any of the rest of the bad franchises in the NFL. 

I don't see much in the way of immediate help in the draft, hence why I would rather pursue a competent veteran QB. If we just start the process of getting the OL fixed and then let our strengths(defense, running game) carry us in 2022, perhaps we can attract a top tier QB talent or go for broke in the 2023 draft to get The Guy. 

We will see what happens.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

I didn’t play at the collegiate level, but I know the WR position. Played that my whole life. I know routes, and QBs aren’t putting the ball where it’s supposed to be. These guys don’t feel they’re being in a position to succeed. They won’t say it, but I know it. I see it.

That has been my suspicion the entire season, TBH. I see them pulling up short on routes that Darnold is leading them into big hits and I see some frustration when guys are streaking wide open. Plus, the ball placement and timing is so obviously bad.

IMO, they have zero confidence in Darnold. They know who he is and they aren't playing hard for him as a result. 

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That has been my suspicion the entire season, TBH. I see them pulling up short on routes that Darnold is leading them into big hits and I see some frustration when guys are streaking wide open. Plus, the ball placement and timing is so obviously bad.

IMO, they have zero confidence in Darnold. They know who he is and they aren't playing hard for him as a result. 

Honestly, that’s a big part of Robby’s issue. Again, he won’t say it. Robbie knew what it was in the offseason. I have no doubt he’s in DJ and the rest of the WR’s ear. He’s frustrated, and again, Robbie isn’t this bad. These dudes are human. So, it’s some truth to the fact that Robby got his check and has sort of checked out. 

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I agree with you. If we could get a real qb in here, we could compete with the top of the conference. We have most of the pieces. That's why I was so for the deshaun trade. Maybe it can still happen in the offseason if Miami doesn't get. Hell, I'd take Rodgers or Russell too. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Honestly, that’s a big part of Robby’s issue. Again, he won’t say it. Robbie knew what it was in the offseason. I have no doubt he’s in DJ and the rest of the WR’s ear. He’s frustrated, and again, Robbie isn’t this bad. These dudes are human. So, it’s some truth to the fact that Robby got his check and has sort of checked out. 

Robby saw we signed Sam and was like 

Youtube Rage GIF by Wayne

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2