• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dane Brugler Mock Draft 1.0 (from The Athletic)

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Just did a mini deep dive on Pickett.  Very burrow esque type last season.  Although he isnt very mobile, has small hands and tends to fumble.  Also wears two gloves.   Probably should pass on that alone.  

Problem is that for whatever issues you find, you have to count on Matt Rhule recognizing them too.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Problem is that for whatever issues you find, you have to count on Matt Rhule recognizing them too.

Interesting blurb outlining some positives:

Here is what McShay wrote, in part:

“His arm strength and pocket mobility are average areas in his game, but his toughness in the pocket, fast eyes on progressions and awareness in holding the safety stand out. His decision-making is improving after back-to-back seasons with 13-to-9 TD-INT ratios. And Pickett flashes some second-reaction ability, too, scrambling when he needs to create.”

Wrote Kiper (a day before the North Carolina game): “He is accurate to all three levels of the field, has shown patience in taking the checkdown throws when necessary and has good zip on his throws.”

The top five quarterbacks on both analysts’ lists are the same: Pickett, followed by Liberty’s Malik Willis, Ole Miss’ Matt Corral, Cincinnati’s Desmond Ridder and North Carolina’s Sam Howell. Boston College’s Phil Jurkovec, a Pine-Richland graduate, is ranked sixth by Kiper, seventh by McShay.

With big games remaining all across the country and serious evaluations upcoming as early as January, many opinions will change before the end of the season. The draft is scheduled for April 28.

Not a Pickett fan. 

You don't need to be Vick but you need some mobility in the modern day NFL.   He doesn't have enough IMO.   Are you need insane pocket movement/awareness.   And Brady developed that over decades by first being in a great situation and not needing it. 

Just now, CRA said:

Not a Pickett fan. 

You don't need to be Vick but you need some mobility in the modern day NFL.   He doesn't have enough IMO.   Are you need insane pocket movement/awareness.   And Brady developed that over decades by first being in a great situation and not needing it. 

I think pickett has at least that and someone compared his arm to Mac Jones.  Not sure what to make of the kid as a whole I know I would just prefer to get a lineman in the top 10

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

...fast eyes on progressions and awareness in holding the safety stand out. His decision-making is improving after back-to-back seasons with 13-to-9 TD-INT ratios. And Pickett flashes some second-reaction ability, too, scrambling when he needs to create.

Those are traits that are really important at the NFL level.

For what it's worth, the characteristics that the analysts describe are very well suited to a West Coast offense at the pro level.

(assuming we'll still be running a West Coast type offense next season)

Edited by Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Those are traits that are really important at the NFL level.

For what it's worth, the characteristics that the analysts describe are very well suited to a West Coast offense at the pro level.

(assuming we'll still be running a West Coast type offense next season)

I agree.  The average arm and small hands concern me but again I dont want him in the top 10.  this is a good line class and we absolutely must capitalize on that

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I agree.  The average arm and small hands concern me but again I dont want him in the top 10.  this is a good line class and we absolutely must capitalize on that

I'd much rather we fix the line before going with a rookie quarterback, especially in a week draft class.

But if Rhule believes he's coaching for his job, it won't surprise me at all for him to think getting a new quarterback cures all ills.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Not a Pickett fan. 

I thought the same at first. He is actually a lot quicker and more elusive than I originally thought. He works the pocket and isn’t afraid to run with it every now and then. He isn’t going to run the QB option, but has a little if that Rodgers escapability in my opinion…