• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers first round lock.

Zod

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Who is saying his arm is better then herberts?

I wish I coud give you their exact names, I came across it when I was in a deep twitter rabbit hole on the upcoming rookie class. 

If I had a gun to my head it was either:
1. Solak
2. Crabbs
3. Joe Marino

All are anlysts, so I trust their judgement.  As I was typing this I found what Marino said:

Arm Strength: Pickett won’t be confused as having a rocket launcher attached to right shoulder, but he has good arm strength. He frequently slots the football on outbreaking routes to the field and zips the ball into windows with good velocity. He is a terrific vertical passer that doesn’t have to dig deep to find the juice needed to drive it down the field. 

Edited by TheCasillas

14 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We are trading down and still drafting Pickett?

yeah its definitely possible. So if you look at the draft right now, the current most sought after players will be (not in this specific order):

1.  Kayvon Thibodeaux - DE (Potential Top Pick)
2. Aidan Hutchinson - DE (Potential Top Pick)

3. George Karlaftis - DE
4. Derek Stingley Jr.  -C B

5. Tyler Lindenbaum
6. Ikem Ekwonu - OT (Top 3)
7. Evan Neal - OT

We have the 7th pick in the draft currently, so if we stay put, trading back to a OL needy team (Jets/WFT, who currently both sit within 2 picks of us), that would give an opportunity to drop a few spots, pickup picks, and still land Pickett. 

Now if we lose out, and Bears and Giants win one of their remaining games, we leap to pick 5.. which means that there is at least one DE left on the board, and Tyler Lindebaum.   Which would give an opp to take TL, or trade back 1 to 2 spots to the giants, and pull what the eagles did this last draft. That could net us a huge return (bc its a top5 pick) and still land Picket in the top 7.

Now this is all hypothetical, and there still a lot to occur, but we could be in a position where we could come out with Pickett (or one of many OL in this draft), and 2 -3 additional draft picks this year, plus a 1 next year.

Currently, the most popular QB according to NFL Draft Network is Matt Corall, but that could all change overnight. 

Edited by TheCasillas

51 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Do you guys have additional info on the arm talent? Pundits are saying he has a bigger arm than Herbert. At least from everything ive read. Sounds like you have both watched him play. I was sold when I read he was a faster stronger Herbert. 

Herbert has one of the biggest arms in the last two decades. 

It's pretty easy to dismiss that comment off the bat. 

I watched his Bowl game and a compilation tape. I don't go out of my way to watch WKU.

32 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Obviously not an exact match but the same argument could be made for Brady. Though he did have two OK years once he was put in. Though I don’t want to touch, hear about, or have anyone from Rhules pool close to this team ever again. 

If you actually look at Brady's College career he was exceptional. They were just determined to play Drew Henson so they split time.

Brady always moved the offence when he was in there.

5 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

yeah its definitely possible. So if you look at the draft right now, the current most sought after players will be (not in this specific order):

1.  Kayvon Thibodeaux - DE (Potential Top Pick)
2. Aidan Hutchinson - DE (Potential Top Pick)

3. George Karlaftis - DE
4. Derek Stingley Jr.  -C B

5. Tyler Lindenbaum
6. Ikem Ekwonu - OT (Top 3)
7. Evan Neal - OT

We have the 7th pick in the draft currently, so if we stay put, trading back to a OL needy team (Jets/WFT, who currently both sit within 2 picks of us), that would give an opportunity to drop a few spots, pickup picks, and still land Pickett. 

Now if we lose out, and Bears and Giants win one of their remaining games, we leap to pick 5.. which means that there is at least one DE left on the board, and Tyler Lindebaum.   Which would give an opp to take TL, or trade back 1 to 2 spots to the giants, and pull what the eagles did this last draft. That could net us a huge return (bc its a top5 pick) and still land Picket in the top 7.

Now this is all hypothetical, and there still a lot to occur, but we could be in a position where we could come out with Pickett (or one of many OL in this draft), and 2 -3 additional draft picks this year, plus a 1 next year.

Currently, the most popular QB according to NFL Draft Network is Matt Corall, but that could all change overnight. 

If the panthers like Pickett they are not going to risk trading back 5-10 spots for extra capital.   They will simply pick him without gambling.   Also what you are not factoring is that teams rarely trade up into the top 6ish for a non qb.   When was the last time it happened?  And even if someone fell in love with someone say Ikem I doubt they give us fair value to move back.   

24 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I wish I coud give you their exact names, I came across it when I was in a deep twitter rabbit hole on the upcoming rookie class. 

If I had a gun to my head it was either:
1. Solak
2. Crabbs
3. Joe Marino

All are anlysts, so I trust their judgement.  As I was typing this I found what Marino said:

Arm Strength: Pickett won’t be confused as having a rocket launcher attached to right shoulder, but he has good arm strength. He frequently slots the football on outbreaking routes to the field and zips the ball into windows with good velocity. He is a terrific vertical passer that doesn’t have to dig deep to find the juice needed to drive it down the field. 

We were talking about Zappe.

Pickett doesn't have a tremendous arm either, but it's better than Zappe's.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If the panthers like Pickett they are not going to risk trading back 5-10 spots for extra capital.   They will simply pick him without gambling.   Also what you are not factoring is that teams rarely trade up into the top 6ish for a non qb.   When was the last time it happened?  And even if someone fell in love with someone say Ikem I doubt they give us fair value to move back.   

I never said 5-10 spots. The way that the order is coming together, you shouldnt have to trade back far.  I thought I stated "2-3 spots." I will go back and edit if I made an error there.

It literally just happened last year... Jaylen Waddle.... #6 pick. Non QB. 

Also, here are other years where teams traded into the top 6ish for non QBs:
1. 2018 Browns Denzel Ward (4th overall)
2. 2014 Bills for Sammy Watkins (4th overall)
3. 2014 Browns traded up to the 8th spot for Justin Gilbert
4. 2013 Dolphins for Dion Jordan (3rd overall)
5. 2013 Rams for Tavon Austin (8th overall)

Bonus: 2017 49ers and Bears swapped spots in the top 5 (QB)DL)

to answer your questions: The last time this happened, last year, and this has happened 7 times in the last 9 seasons.

So there is reason to be optimistic that this could possibly happen for us, especially with the way Fitterer worked the phone last year.

Edited by TheCasillas