• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Howell declares for the draft

Varking

Just now, AU-panther said:

Finding the QB is the hard part.

I'm not saying spending the 6th pick on a QB is definitely what I would do but this idea that any single OL spot will help the team as much as a QB is ludicrous. 

Its a step in the right direction.  There is no magical solution to fix the oline.  You damn sure cannot do it through FA.  Its an organic process and you have to spend high end draft capital to get things started.  Something we havent done in over a decade.   Its a top heavy draft, evaluate who you want and pick them.  Then do the same in the 4rth and so on and so on and so on.  fug free agency build the line through the draft and let these dudes work with each other over multiple seasons.  Dropping any rooking qb behind this oline would be insanity.  However building up the line and then letting the rookie ease in is the way to do it.

25 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Then we have the same problem.  We need to find a QB.

Yep and in their search for a QB, in which they had no idea what they were doing, they looked exactly like we do.

Taking a 1st round QB in the 2022 draft would just be another Cleveland Browns vintage move. 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yep and in their search for a QB, in which they had no idea what they were doing, they looked exactly like we do.

Taking a 1st round QB in the 2022 draft would just be another Cleveland Browns vintage move. 

By my count that would be 4 qb darts in less than 3 years.  That would make the Browns say god damn

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its a step in the right direction.  There is no magical solution to fix the oline.  You damn sure cannot do it through FA.  Its an organic process and you have to spend high end draft capital to get things started.  Something we havent done in over a decade.   Its a top heavy draft, evaluate who you want and pick them.  Then do the same in the 4rth and so on and so on and so on.  fug free agency build the line through the draft and let these dudes work with each other over multiple seasons.  Dropping any rooking qb behind this oline would be insanity.  However building up the line and then letting the rookie ease in is the way to do it.

Same can be said about QBs, you have to spend high draft capital and donor organically.

That’s the problem, we need the two hardest positions to fix.

People just keep acting like it’s easy to find the QB later. How many franchise QBs in the league? How many years do some of them play? 10-15?  So in the last 15 years how many truly elite QBs have there been? But you are magically going to have one waiting on you when you finally decide the rest of the team is ready. 

38 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Bingo. No QB is going to succeed with the Panthers until they get a quality NFL type offensive line. To think outherwise would be foolish.

Yep...get big and tough in the trenches...win at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and you've got a football team.

• Pie 1

Just now, AU-panther said:

Only if you are wrong 

How will you know if you are right if Sam Howell or Pickett is getting sacked 8 fuging times a game?  I get its the chicken vs egg scenario but mother fuger we havent drafted an olineman in the first round in over a fuging decade and our line has been total poo for the better part of 7 years.  I think I see a correlation.    There is no other way to fix this mess other than bite the bullet and take the unsexy Lt or whatever.  I mean seriously what the fug was the point of taking derrick brown?  What were they trying to accomplish there blowing a top pick on a one trick pony that doesnt even do the one trick very well?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

How will you know if you are right if Sam Howell or Pickett is getting sacked 8 fuging times a game?  I get its the chicken vs egg scenario but mother fuger we havent drafted an olineman in the first round in over a fuging decade and our line has been total poo for the better part of 7 years.  I think I see a correlation.    There is no other way to fix this mess other than bite the bullet and take the unsexy Lt or whatever.  I mean seriously what the fug was the point of taking derrick brown?  What were they trying to accomplish there blowing a top pick on a one trick pony that doesnt even do the one trick very well?

I agree that at some point we should have spent a first round pick on a olineman, namely when we had a franchise QB, Cam.
 Now that we don’t have a franchise QB it’s the second most important position.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Since 2019, 6 QB's have started games for us. Since 2018(the era where we officially went full Browns, IMO), we have started 7 QB's. 

The number of players started is irrelevant in regards to which position is more important. 
A QB is exponentially more important than any single position on the field and it’s not even close. Doesn’t matter if they have a lower chance to succeed, they aren’t even money bets.

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Personally, IF I did draft a qb like Pickett or Howell, he sits the entire first year, ala Mahomes.  Then spend every remaining pick on the oline, spend next years picks on the oline, spend most of our free agent dollars on the oline.  In the meantime, throw Darnold out there since we have to pay him an arm and a leg next year.  

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

The number of players started is irrelevant in regards to which position is more important. 
A QB is exponentially more important than any single position on the field and it’s not even close. Doesn’t matter if they have a lower chance to succeed, they aren’t even money bets.

We are never going to agree because you believe taking a QB, regardless of ability, is the right move. It's a move the fails very often and one that bad franchises are well known for. I get the theory behind what you are saying but in practice it doesn't work out very often.

I say don't reach on a prospect. If you have the best QB in this draft as a late first round or second round grade, then you draft accordingly.

Hence why I would avoid these QB's with our pick.