• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting back into the top 100 of the draft: A trade scenario analysis

Ricky Spanish

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

5ish million a year if we trade him after June 1st this year. Less if we save him and out after next season ourselves by about 7 million. But with the cap increase and the potential return we could get, 5 million a year is still about 3 Robbie’s worth of cap we could have used. 

So why would we eat that for a 2nd(maybe) probably 3rd round pick?  It doesnt make a lick of sense.

Next off season it becomes more manageable to do something with him.  But it still is going to sting. We are stuck thanks to Hurney (again) with this crap contract for the upcoming year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/christian-mccaffrey-21749/

5 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

5ish million a year if we trade him after June 1st this year. Less if we save him and out after next season ourselves by about 7 million. But with the cap increase and the potential return we could get, 5 million a year is still about 3 Robbie’s worth of cap we could have used. 

It would also spread the dead cap out to 5~ every year instead of 13 million lump right on the year we should be getting a new coach. 

I will say this.  I just thought of a scenario.  If we trade him for peanuts and eat the cap, to me that signals the tank is on and Rhule is just the scapegoat for the 2022 season and we blow it all up again next offseason.

I just thought of that and it would be telling if it happened but I still dont think they would be that obvious about it. 

Edited by mrcompletely11

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So why would we eat that for a 2nd(maybe) probably 3rd round pick?  It doesnt make a lick of sense.

Next off season it becomes more manageable to do something with him.  But it still is going to sting. We are stuck thanks to Hurney (again) with this crap contract for the upcoming year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/christian-mccaffrey-21749/

It would also spread the dead cap out to 5~ every year instead of 13 million lump right on the year we should be getting a new coach. 

And I think we could get more than just a second for him. The right team would probably give us a 2023 first and more. 

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

If we trade him post June 1st we save 8.6 million this year, and 12 million every year after that. For a total of 40 million in cap space over 4 years. With the cap expected to shoot up like a rocket soon. How is it so hard to believe a contender would take him off our hands?

Any team trading for CMC is only acquiring a 8.1M guaranteed base salary for this year. Then they can let him go for no cap hit.  But that’s a 18.5M dead cap hit on this year’s cap. Post 6/1 just kicks part of it until next year, but it counts the same. Any base salaries after this year are irrelevant. He will be gone by then either way. The out next year is the 12M in dead money they would still have to account for. This involves paying him 14M this year. You might find a trade, but it won’t be much, and it will sting no matter what. This is what restructuring contracts leads to. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Yeah I get the chart and all but I dont think moving from 6 to 11 (washington scenario) and only getting the 42 pick is anywhere close to fair value in regards to this draft

Like @SteveSmithTD89 said, If a QB is involved, value goes out the window. We could gain a lot of assets by trading with anyone looking for a QB. Our best hope for trading back is no one takes a QB before us at 6. 

• Flames 1

Just now, Harbingers said:

And I think we could get more than just a second for him. The right team would probably give us a 2023 first and more. 

I have said from the beginning I think you guys are putting way too much value on Cmac.  When was the last big RB that was traded?   They are the most valueless starting position in the NFL.  Look at san fran rolling with a 6th round pick in the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Any team trading for CMC is only acquiring a 8.1M guaranteed base salary for this year. Then they can let him go for no cap hit.  But that’s a 18.5M dead cap hit on this year’s cap. Post 6/1 just kicks part of it until next year, but it counts the same. Any base salaries after this year are irrelevant. He will be gone by then either way. The out next year is the 12M in dead money they would still have to account for. This involves paying him 14M this year. You might find a trade, but it won’t be much, and it will sting no matter what. This is what restructuring contracts leads to. 

thank you

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

It would also spread the dead cap out to 5~ every year instead of 13 million lump right on the year we should be getting a new coach. 

That’s not how it works. You can’t just spread dead cap out without redoing the entire deal. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Like @SteveSmithTD89 said, If a QB is involved, value goes out the window. We could gain a lot of assets by trading with anyone looking for a QB. Our best hope for trading back is no one takes a QB before us at 6. 

Yeah totally I am just saying your scenario with Wash IMO isnt worth moving back.  WOuld rather just get a stud at 6.

But if say washington loved a qb and the giants didnt take one ahead of the value chart goes out the window.  Unfortunately I dont see a qb that teams will lost their mind for

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Moore has been solid, but moving him would increase Anderson's looks and probably cause Shi Smith and Marshall to step up.

Yeah I just think a WR unit is one of the easier to rebuild as well. FA prices for them have gone down with how many have come through the past few drafts. 

I am hopeful for Shi

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I have said from the beginning I think you guys are putting way too much value on Cmac.  When was the last big RB that was traded?   They are the most valueless starting position in the NFL.  Look at san fran rolling with a 6th round pick in the playoffs. 

I guarantee you if CMC didn’t have to deal with this trash coaching staff and was used properly he would be back to his peak. And don’t forget like everyone says, he can play slot. 

3 minutes ago, davos said:

Yeah I just think a WR unit is one of the easier to rebuild as well. FA prices for them have gone down with how many have come through the past few drafts. 

I am hopeful for Shi

Don't kid yourself guys like Jefferson and Chase are going to get historical contracts. Nothing is guaranteed with this team. For years we were looking for a compliment to our best receiver in history and from there we lost a super bowl with the likes of Jerricho Cotchery and Ted Ginn.