• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Brady 2nd in odds for Cincy OC, 8th in odds for Jacksonville HC

Kraybrothers

6 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Ehhh. In the five games immediately before his firing, our offense averaged barely over 17 ppg... We were on a hard course downward and while Nixon was not better, Brady at the end wasn't good either.  After Minnesota the wheels came completely off save for a brief reprieve from Cam's energetic return. Excluding Cam's ARZ game, the offense averaged 11.8 ppg after Minnesota under Brady...

Rhule interfered and wanted a more run focused offense. Brady was no longer running his offense. He was trying to call the offense as Rhule wanted it.

Don't be shocked if he lands somewhere with a good young QB and has wildly different results.

• Pie 2

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Meanwhile, the painful reality is that as soon as he was gone the offense turned into something that is usually seen on Friday nights. Calling it a college offense would be an insult to college offense. We were straight up running a HS offense.

Well we did go to a “Baylor buddy” who should never even sniff an OC role, and he was using the exact same playbook. Don’t get me wrong I know we were terrible but that doesn’t mean Brady was ever good.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Rhule interfered and wanted a more run focused offense. Brady was no longer running his offense. He was trying to call the offense as Rhule wanted it.

Don't be shocked if he lands somewhere with a good young QB and has wildly different results.

Oh for sure, although I think that Brady was in over his head and didn't have a true NFL mentor here, which fuged him too imo.  Last year we saw consistent problems with getting plays in on time, same problem in 2020. And while Cam (and tbh to an extent early Darnold) did improve on red zone effexiency he still has vexing situational playcalls.

Time and time again, Rhule failed to respect how much actual NFL experience matters... I think Brady can be good with a good mentor. 

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, mc52beast said:

So Nixon was worse than Brady…

Nixon wasn't going to change a whole lot of the offense.  You can't install a new offense during the season.  He lost a lot of players and had to play some stronger teams too.  It's hard to say if he was better or worse than Brady with what he had to work with.  

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Rhule interfered and wanted a more run focused offense. 

Did he, though?

I ask because it sure as heck didn't become more run focused when Jeff Nixon was running it, but I don't remember Rhule complaining.

Part of me thinks Rhule was just using that as an excuse to scapegoat Brady.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Did he, though?

I ask because it sure as heck didn't become more run focused when Jeff Nixon was running it, but I don't remember Rhule complaining.

Part of me thinks Rhule was just using that as an excuse to scapegoat Brady.

He did. Then he let his buddy run the offense how he wanted and we all saw how that worked out.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He did. Then he let his buddy run the offense how he wanted and we all saw how that worked out.

That's kinda what I'm getting at.

It mattered when Brady was running it. Then Jeff Nixon takes over and gets a free pass.

I suppose either way ultimately just points to Rhule being a douchebag.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Joe Brady had great concepts but that's it. His play calling was sub par and his red zone offense was terrible. Not to mention he hand picked two QBs and he couldn't make either one work in his system. I'm not saying it was all his fault because it never is but a bunch of our troubles were his fault. 

Brady might have success in Cincinnati given his LSU connections with Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase.  Not because Brady has gotten any better as an OC but because the players there are so good they don't really need him.  The Bengals offense will succeed in spite of Brady.  And who knows, maybe Brady gets better with more practice.