• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alright screw it, take Pickett

RumHam

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I agree but if he is a pro bowl 10 year starter I don’t think it’s a reach.   But if he busts………..oh boy

I had to go back all the way to back to 1968 to find a top 10 center and that was #2 overall.  A highly touted center usually goes no higher than the mid-teens (still VERY, EXTREMELY rare) and most top centers in a typical class go late round 1 to early round 2.

40 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Glass and Garbers just played in a collegiate all star showcase game. Hence the boost in rating and attention.   It's very early.  My QB board is different.  Also there are two distinct styles of QB this year.  So it depends on offense we want to run.  

Semi-traditional pocket passer

Pickett, Strong and Ridder.  In this group Strong is the swing for the fences gamble with the most upside.  Ridder is high floor low ceiling.  Pickett is this year's most likely to pushed to the moon by Mel Kiper potential bust.  I said it. 

New school RPO athlete at QB 

Willis, Glass, Corral and Howell.  Willis and Glass are athletes playing QB.  Both could hit a wall in the NFL because of an uptick in competition.  Corral and Howell have potential and are actually two of my favorites this year.  

1. Corral 2. Pickett 3. Strong 4. Howell 5. Willis 6. Zappe 7. Ridder 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I agree but if he is a pro bowl 10 year starter I don’t think it’s a reach.   But if he busts………..oh boy

If you draft a player at an position in the top 10 and he becomes a b-level starter for the next 10 years then I don't see how that could be considered a reach.

Some people feel certain positions should never go in the top 10. Check out the prospect below. Kyle Hamilton (Safety) is rated as the 3rd best player in the draft by some experts. Can you imagine if we had this guy paired with Chinn on the back end of our secondary with Horn, Keith Taylor Jr, and CJ Henderson at corner back?

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-draft-board-big-board

3. S KYLE HAMILTON, NOTRE DAME

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound safety has a skill set you simply won’t find in every draft class. His range and coverage skills are unheard of for a man of his size. The Notre Dame star picked off three passes and broke up three more in only six games before getting injured.

------

I wouldn't draft him with all of our deficiencies on the team. But imagine if we already had a franchise QB on the roster. I could see using Brady at LT, Moton at RT, Deonte Brown at RG, Efflein at LG or Center, then drafting the best center of guard on the board in round 4. Taking Hamilton could give us the best secondary in the NFL for the next 4-5 years. He'd be the best Safety we've had since Mike Mentor, and with a much higher upside.

Edited by SCO96
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

While everyone wants to comp Burrow to Pickett because of their size, age, and internet buzz; there is a MAJOR difference between the two:  Burrow is a straight up baller.  Burrow has the professional arrogance and processing ability to make great plays.  Pickett has better physical tools, but he's not on Burrow's level of confidence and decision making. 

THANK YOU

I literally just posted yesterday in another thread about how Pickett and Burrow are not even remotely the same. Burrow put up elite stats AND film against elite competition.

As much as Burrow had a great team surrounding him, Pickett had himself a fairly solid team as well. The Pittsburgh defense was #2 in sacks, #15 in 3rd down defense, tied for #8 in INTs (#1 in INT TDs), and #6 rushing defense out of all FCS teams. Jordan Addison is a very good WR and the Pitt OL played consistently well 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

1. Corral 2. Pickett 3. Strong 4. Howell 5. Willis 6. Zappe 7. Ridder 

Most of these guys are playing in different games like the Senior Bowl--to get more attention and access. Corral is the only one who isn't. I guess he is confident in his tape against SEC defenses.

55 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Not my personal rankings. I don't want Garbers. He isn't on my personal list. For some reason, there are GMs who have their eye on him. Then again we see teams take QBs like Garbers in every draft. Look at Mills from last year.

Garbers is a great practice squad QB at best imo which is why I've got him as the #20 QB in my personal rankings. His stats + game footage are baaad.

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

So taller than Bryce Young, Kyler Murray and an inch shorter than Lamar?

One of those isn't even in the NFL yet, lol. Another is already so physically damaged he may be on the downside of his career. The third? Yeah, he's good, and way better than Willis.

Look, it's obvious lots of the Willis fans just want to relive the days of Cam. I get it. But scrambling isn't everything in the NFL. Give me a QB that CAN scramble (like Mahomes) when he needs to but otherwise plays behind the line. Look at Willis' passing stats. Very tame. You really think he's going to be able to run all over the NFL? Again, Lamar is already abusing his body. Cam was abused. Hurts isn't going to last long playing like he does.

But hey, if you think Rhule and company can't develop the kid ... cool. He def will be able to scramble when need be ... but we already have a PJ Walker.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Most of these guys are playing in different games like the Senior Bowl--to get more attention and access. Corral is the only one who isn't. I guess he is confident in his tape against SEC defenses.

Didn't he have an injury in his bowl game  He's probably not going to risk further injuring or re-injuring it for a meaningless game.  He'll probably throw at the Combine and work out at his Pro Day.  Those hold more a lot more weight in the evaluation process anyway. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Icege said:

THANK YOU

I literally just posted yesterday in another thread about how Pickett and Burrow are not even remotely the same. Burrow put up elite stats AND film against elite competition.

As much as Burrow had a great team surrounding him, Pickett had himself a fairly solid team as well. The Pittsburgh defense was #2 in sacks, #15 in 3rd down defense, tied for #8 in INTs (#1 in INT TDs), and #6 rushing defense out of all FCS teams. Jordan Addison is a very good WR and the Pitt OL played consistently well 

I'm expecting Jordan Addison and Gavin Bartholomew to make the next Pitt QB look really good too. Even a freshman QB. A sophomore WR and freshman TE opened up everything for Pickett to go from 13 TD ordinary to 42 TD amazing. I don't want Pickett, but I have no doubt I will want Addison and Bartholomew when they enter the draft.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

One of those isn't even in the NFL yet, lol. Another is already so physically damaged he may be on the downside of his career. The third? Yeah, he's good, and way better than Willis.

Look, it's obvious lots of the Willis fans just want to relive the days of Cam. I get it. But scrambling isn't everything in the NFL. Give me a QB that CAN scramble (like Mahomes) when he needs to but otherwise plays behind the line. Look at Willis' passing stats. Very tame. You really think he's going to be able to run all over the NFL? Again, Lamar is already abusing his body. Cam was abused. Hurts isn't going to last long playing like he does.

But hey, if you think Rhule and company can't develop the kid ... cool. He def will be able to scramble when need be ... but we already have a PJ Walker.

Wow, you said the quiet part out loud.  How dare are you!  People are not actually looking at Willis, but hoping he's Cam 2.0 instead based off the things being posted here about his scrambling abilities. 

Here's the part of their nostalgia that is lacking in reality: Cam got wore down after 7 years of his body taking a beating at 6'5" and 250 pounds.  Willis?  He's almost the exact same size as RGIII.  How long did that last scrambling around in the NFL?

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 2

14 hours ago, RumHam said:

Its a lottery in finding franchise qbs and the bungals are proof that if you get that guy, shitty lines dont matter. Throw herbert and mahomes into it as well. But this team needs excitement and its Jeff Lewis levels right now.

Joe Burrow was the consensus number one pick in the draft. A record setting NCAA QB with a national championship. A true leader of men while being somewhat boyish himself. 

He may not have been a sure thing but many former coaches came out during the process and said Burrow would be a big success.

Pickett? No. Darnold and Pickett aren't that much different in ceiling and we already have one guy. Draft offensive line hard and then if Darnold still isn't your guy in 2023, go after a guy like Grayson McCall who is going to end up very much like Aaron Rodgers. McCall has superb accuracy, touch, and release speed. He has elite quickness and presence for the position as well as the innate ability to lead. He's very much like Burrow in that regard. 

I'd also take a late round flyer on Bailey Zappe out of Western Kentucky this year. Maybe a 5th round pick for him as he would certainly be as good as PJ Walker. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1