• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No more Watson threads. Use this one or one of the other 20 existing ones.

rayzor

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Lovie Smith may not have done well in college, but he has an over .500 overall record in the NFL.  He has also been known to be popular with players.  I wouldn't place him as a top tier head coach, but he's better than Matt Rhule.

It’s 2022, not 2005. No one was hiring Lovie  Smith as their HC, but the Texans panicked. Ultimately they know they are 2-3 years from competing even if Mills pans out. He’ll fall on the sword for their rebuild before they make a real HC hire.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Smittymoose said:

It’s 2022, not 2005. No one was hiring Lovie  Smith as their HC, but the Texans panicked. Ultimately they know they are 2-3 years from competing even if Mills pans out. He’ll fall on the sword for their rebuild before they make a real HC hire.

My argument isn't that Lovie Smith is some great hire.  My argument is that what's so much better about Carolina?  It's pretty identical.  Both teams are several seasons away from competing (if we are stripped of major assets as a result of a trade).

Lovie Smith is basically discount Ron Rivera if you look at the W/L and career history.

• Pie 1

Ian Rapoport reporting the Panthers & Saints have definitely made offers for Watson.  Maybe other teams as well.  That includes the 3 first round draft picks as well as some young players.  

Watson will meet with the teams and then decide if he wants to waive his NTC.  

On Reddit Houston fans are already savoring the 3 Carolina draft choices (which will be high picks) and looking over the young talent we have on defense for who to take.   It's absolutely sickening (and soul crushing) for Panther fans.

Rapoport on Twitter

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

My argument isn't that Lovie Smith is some great hire.  My argument is that what's so much better about Carolina?  It's pretty identical.  Both teams are several seasons away from competing (if we are stripped of major assets as a result of a trade).

Lovie Smith is basically discount Ron Rivera if you look at the W/L and career history.

I don't know if Carolina is as far away as you think. Cam Newton got drafted then two years later Carolina went 12 and 5. Carolina won 2 games the year Cam got drafted. A QB can do a lot for a team. Granted, we have to draft well and sign solid free agents. With this staff that's easier said than done. 

Carolina is better because Houston’s ownership and it’s front office broke his trust. It’s really that simple. And Carolina will be the favorite to win the NFCS if this trade goes down. 

Not a terrible comparison but the difference is Lovie hasn’t has any measure of success in the NFL in a decade.

• Beer 1

Just now, BlitzMonster said:

Ian Rapoport reporting the Panthers & Saints have made offers for Watson.  Maybe others as well.  That includes the 3 first round draft picks as well as some young players.  

Watson will meet with the teams and then decide if he wants to waive his NTC.  

On Reddit Houston fans are already savoring the 3 Carolina draft choices (which will be high picks) and looking over the young talent we have on defense for who to take.   It's absolutely sickening (and soul crushing) for Panther fans.

Rapoport on Twitter

Not for me it's not. 

Just now, NCTHFL0567 said:

I don't know if Carolina is as far away as you think. Cam Newton got drafted then two years later Carolina went 12 and 5. Carolina won 2 games the year Cam got drafted. A QB can do a lot for a team. Granted, we have to draft well and sign solid free agents. With this staff that's easier said than done. 

How are you missing the connection here?  We are trading away our most valuable picks for 3 seasons.  Watson will count 40 million against the cap.  We'll have to wait a couple years for other cap hits to roll off.  How exactly is that going to happen?

• Pie 4

How are you missing the connection here?  We are trading away our most valuable picks for 3 seasons.  Watson will count 40 million against the cap.  We'll have to wait a couple years for other cap hits to roll off.  How exactly is that going to happen?

Which cap hits, specifically, should Carolina be concerned about?