• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Salary Cap for the Horses in the Race**

SetfreexX

16 minutes ago, OceanPanther said:

Keep in mind, these number are all before a deal is done.  We don't know what any team will be giving up. It won't be just draft picks

Example :  what if Matt Ryan is part of the deal Atlanta offers ?  what would change for them ?

Ryan has a NTC if memory serves. 

EDIT: NTC confirmed

Edited by SetfreexX
  • Pie 2

Just because you can buy a Ferrari with a few financial adjustments doesn't mean it's a smart purchase.

Considering our coaching staff, we could be looking at the #1 pick next season, and potentially the following one with which to snag the best, most certain QB available on the ROOKIE pay scale with a fifth year option at a reasonable rate.

Or we could shoot the moon with Watson, give up all those draft picks and have a QB who hasn't played a meaningful down in over a year, who could still be up for suspension by the NFL, and have no money to pay for decent players around him, so even getting him becomes a wash in the old W-L column.

Really, think it through. The salesman doesn't care if your car gets repo'ed down the line. He'll just laugh.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Ryan has a NTC if memory serves. 

EDIT: NTC confirmed

I’m not trying to nitpick, but that wasn’t the question..  

I was just using Ryan as an example.  
once a deal is made with one of these teams, their cap situation will change from the figures you shared ..

still great information, glad you shared the numbers .  

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Let's not discuss the ''player'' let's look at the rumored destinations, and how these team's cap situations look as of today...3/16/22

New Orleans - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap/

Cap Space (w/All) $-4,090,219
Cap Space (w/Top 51) $4,024,781

Cleveland Browns - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/cap/

Cap Space (w/All) $13,452,601
Cap Space (w/Top 51) $16,977,601

Atlanta Falcons - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/cap/

Cap Space (w/All) $17,424,973
Cap Space (w/Top 51) $17,424,973

Carolina Panthers - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

Cap Space (w/All) $26,162,673
Cap Space (w/Top 51) $30,392,673

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's pretty clear Carolina would have the least amount of work to do to ''fit'' the salary (35M for 2022) and with an immediate extension as this would apply to all teams interested could lower his cap number to help with the transition. 

With the NTC available, it will be really interesting to see how these other destinations make the numbers work as they'd need to do the following...

Cap Space Needed to be created: (Based on ''With All'' and round up)

NO - 40M

CLE - 23M

ATL - 18M

CAR - 10M

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With factors like these in place the winning bid will have to do some cap gymnastics to make it work, it's been reported HOU prefers not to deal in the AFC, and the player prefers a warm weather location (SEA was not even given the opportunity to meet based on reports). 

With that in mind it feels more like CLE was brought in to drive up the cost for the out of conference bidders, NO / ATL / CAR. 

It's interesting that ATL is in this race considering Matt Ryan's contract -- it's unlikely he'd restructure to accommodate a deal to be traded elsewhere and IF released he has a dead cap hit of 55.25M -- Not to mention the cupboards are bare at the skill position, Ridley suspended for the year, Cordarell is a FA who could likely cash in elsewhere, and that just leaves Kyle Pitts.

Looking at the situation in NO, just having to create the 40M in cap even with their history of cap navigation is a huge amount ''just to fit the player''; take into additional account filling out the roster, and draft picks. This effort would be a considerable challenge but obviously worth the trouble if they're the choice. Aside from that they are thin offensively as well; Armstead is a free agent, Kamara could be facing suspension after the issues in Vegas, the only established receiver is Michael Thomas and we've all seen the Diva he can be with no other real threats behind him, the TE position is also a ''?''. My question there is how would they build around him, and that defense is a bit older / expensive. This also goes without saying, as much as you may hate him, there's no Sean Payton; it's Dennis Allen, the consistency on offense at least that he provided won't be there.

Finally, looking at Carolina, even if they're not the ''1st'' choice, we are probably the best landing spot for a chance to have success moving forward, we have the least amount of work to do to make the trade possible, and have more young talent to help offset the lack of draft capitol once a trade is completed. To me Rhule is not an attractive proposition much like Allen in New Orleans, at the very least I'd anticipate the Carolinas would embrace him given the Clemson ties. Depending on what we'd have to give up, I think we're in the best position to lose some pieces, but still be in position to add if we're able to sign ''the player'' as we have the most cap and would require the least work to fit him in. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

With some of these factors in mind, my head says Carolina makes the most sense, but these things are not always about that. 

I'm not for or against the move, as I think trading back and allocating assets for day two and a future 1st while adding a rookie this year makes the most sense in the long run. However I am not an owner with 4 straight losing seasons, nor a coach with just 10 wins in 2 years either. I still blame them for not taking IMO Fields who had the most upside between him and Jones last year as we could be in a position of BPA, trade back to offset the picks from the Darnold deal while continuing to build a roster with the value of a rookie contract at QB. 

I love you man, or woman. 

• Beer 1